mapping pads to sequences

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• mapping pads to sequences

Hi, I have the Novation LaunchControl xl and cannot figure out how to map pads to sequences. Currently, when I connect LaunchControl to Blackbox I can map (learn) volume filter etc no problem. But pads on LC XL seem to be randomly assigned to sequences. For ex., first 8 pads are mapped to nothing, the 9-12 are Mapped to some of the middle sequences, and balance are not mapped. I would like pad 1 to map to seq. 1 up trru pad 16 to sequence 16...Any assistance appreciated. Thanks - Pete B.

You have two options:

1. Use the Novation editor and change the MIDI assignments of the pads to match blackbox
    2. Change the Pad Note parameter for each blackbox pad to match the XL (I think mine starts with pad 1 = C5)

The blackbox will respond to note #s 36-51 to trigger pads. 52-67 to start/stop sequences.

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
      You have two options:

1. Use the Novation editor and change the MIDI assignments of the pads to match blackbox
      2. Change the Pad Note parameter for each blackbox pad to match the XL (I think mine starts with pad 1 = C5)

The blackbox will respond to note #s 36-51 to trigger pads. 52-67 to start/stop sequences.
      When you say 'note #s', do you mean MIDI CC number? Or actual notes, like C5? I mapped my XL pads to CC 52-67 and they don't do anything when connected to the Blackbox.

Comment

• Steve
        Steve commented
        Editing a comment
        MIDI Note. C2, F#4, A3, etc.

Ok, progress! Thank you, Steve!

I mapped the pads to the notes 52-67, since I want to be able to start/stop sequences, and I've had some success! I can now start and stop the top row of sequences!

I have two new issues, though.

First, the other seq don't respond. Spurred on by my partial success, I can play around with different notes and see what works, so I'm not too worried here.

Second, every time I hit a pad, in addition to(possibly) starting or stopping a sequence, it triggers what ever sample I last hit. I can't figure out a way to prevent this.

Comment

• Steve
        Steve commented
        Editing a comment
        sounds like you are close. Check out the post below for the MIDI implementation.

There are a few things to consider when using MIDI with the blackbox.

Here are the options:

Set TOOLS > MIDI Pads to select a global channel for all Pads. In this mode, the blackbox will respond to MIDI Note #s 36-51 (lower left is 36. upper right is 51). When the blackbox receives one of these note #s, it is the same as touching the main pad screen. So if you have a one-shot, this will trigger it. If you have a synced Clip, you can send that note # to both start and stop. Just like touching the main pad screen. If you want the Pads to respond to different MIDI note #s, you can adjust the Pad Note parameter on the MIDI page. This method is best for one-shots or drums or samples you want to play as-is with no change in pitch.

Set TOOLS > MIDI Keys to select the incoming MIDI channel that will control the currently selected pad as a chromatic/melodic instrument. You can use the knobs to change the selected pad, thereby changing the current instrument. This mode is great for a keyboardist, for example, to load backing tracks and also have a few different sounds/patches for soloing, etc.

On the selected Pad, press the INFO button 2x. Touch the MIDI tab in the lower right corner. If you set the MIDI In channel here, instead of in TOOLS, you create a direct pipeline from your incoming MIDI to that Pad, on the selected channel. This approach will also play the loaded wav chromatically/melodically so this is best for triggering multiple Pads on their own channels.

You can set the MIDI Out channel independently for Pads vs Sequences. The blackbox does not have a MIDI Thru. The result in setting a Pad to MIDI In: 1 MIDI Out" 2 is - any MIDI data received on channel 1 will be redirected to channel 2.

Comment

Working...
      X