External Midi Sequencing: Odd requirement

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• External Midi Sequencing: Odd requirement

I wanted to send Midi Notes out to trigger a Volca Sample with a retrokits RK-002 cable attached. I could set the selected sequence to the channel the RK-002 is receiving on fine. I could play the Volca Sample part from the Keys page fine. But when I would go to actually record from the Keys page? Nothing. Refuses to record the notes. Same with external Midi in place of the Keys page.

Then I loaded a blank sample into the Pad the sequence was pointing to and suddenly it's recording the midi notes. I should be able to record Midi notes from Keys page regardless whether a sample is loaded into the Pad or not. How would I do this?
    Last edited by samplethesilence; 07-27-2020, 06:17 AM.

The internal sequencer is tied to the pads in some way. If you want to decouple in order to use a sequence for external gear, you need to either load a blank sample or simply MUTE that particular pad in the MIX screen.

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
      The internal sequencer is tied to the pads in some way. If you want to decouple in order to use a sequence for external gear, you need to either load a blank sample or simply MUTE that particular pad in the MIX screen.
      Has there been any plans to reduce this behavior in a future update!? Kinda like midi only clips

Comment

MIDI only clips sounds interesting though not how the blackbox is set up. Purely my opinion here...."the idea of this box was to provide a portable, standalone device for writing and performing." So it makes sense that pads and sequences would be intrinsically connected. Muting a Pad is a workaround for this, providing users the ability to sequence external gear.

It's a reasonable request to add to the wish list thread.

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
          "the idea of this box was to provide a portable, standalone device for writing and performing."
          I have gone to great lengths to be sure I can record anything while it is playing synced to clocks, and in fact this is how I had intended to add certain effects to the Volca Sample: By resampling it with the Blackbox after processing. I guess I was a bit taken aback that this feature wasn't more intuitive, since the notes are triggering, just not being recorded to the sequence slot without preliminary steps. Thank you for the confirmation.

Comment

Then maybe an intuitive way to workaround the “by design” concept without braking it would be :

In the menu that loads a sample, add one choice called “MIDI CTRL”, which would result in the firmware loading a firmware supplied/generated empty sample.

This way it wouldn’t be needed to redesign the firmware, and would feel quite natural to the end user. It’s basically loading “MIDI CTRL” mode instead of a sample.

Should also be the fastest/easiest way to implement.

Comment

• jayneural
              jayneural commented
              Editing a comment
              Btw I think the Polyend Tracker does also present MIDI control inside the sample selection. Though they go even further and include the MIDI our channel selection in the process, which also could make sense in the Blackbox.

« MIDI CTRL » menu choice with channel number as sub-menu.

• Steve
              Steve commented
              Editing a comment
              I like this suggestion. I'll save it for future discussions. Thanks
          Working...
          X