Song Sections

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Song Sections

I see each song section could only have 32 bars in recording. So how does one work with sequences longer then 32 bars ? Is there a way around ? Would like to know. Havent been able to figure out.

Normally, you can record across song sections. So there should be no issue if a seq is longer than a song section.

Comment

• Kaaareeegar
      Kaaareeegar commented
      Editing a comment
      Yes. Thank you for replying. I understand, have been trying to do the same. But have been struggling. I have made a small video of the issue for demonstrating in clarity. Would appreciate if you can look at it and let me kbow what i am doing wrong or is it a bug of sort ?

I am running latest firmware 1.6.5 , have explained the issue in video as well as written in the video description.

Appreciate your help. Thanks.

Comment

Probably this means that you can only record section by section and not across sections. The manual appears to be ambiguous but your video is pretty straightforward:

You can record multiple sections to playback as a complete song. [...] Song sections record on and off events for sequences.

Comment

• Georges
        Georges commented
        Editing a comment
        the best you can do is to record each song section separately, as if it was a different song. That’s what i have done so far and it does work.

• Georges
        Georges commented
        Editing a comment
        I won’t have access to my bb for another few days. Hopefully, the creators can shed more light on this meanwhile.

• Kaaareeegar
        Kaaareeegar commented
        Editing a comment
        Interesting. No issue, if you happen to check whenever do share.

Same, will wait for creators to share some insight hopefully.

Thank you.

The limits are pretty clear, as per the manual:

* You can have up to 16 sections in a preset;
      * The maximum length allowed is 32 bars [per section].

That’s a total of 512 bars.

However, your original question with long seqs (>32 bars) remains unsolved.

Comment

• Kaaareeegar
        Kaaareeegar commented
        Editing a comment
        Yes it is. Though technically 512 bars only add up to sequences less or equal to 32 bars. Anything longer then 32 becomes alien to the song mode. I still do not completely understand why to cripple the sequences more then 32 bars long in this manner. Since naturally the song sections allow recording to move in chain, but not in reality allow to record in chain over 512 bars in total. Spreading across 16 sections. Maybe this could be added n the wishlist, don’t know. The cpu should be able to accomodate this update naturally. And it could be a good addition to the song mode. Let’s see.

Originally posted by Georges View Post
      The limits are pretty clear, as per the manual:

* You can have up to 16 sections in a preset;
      * The maximum length allowed is 32 bars [per section].

That’s a total of 512 bars.

However, your original question with long seqs (>32 bars) remains unsolved.
      I'm finding this is crippling my work flow only having only 16 song sections as you're forced to use 8 + bar loops to fit a song in. I like to do two or 4 bar edits and string them together, I'm running out out of sections before the into is fleshed out.

I'm hoping the limit on sequences, song sections is lifted as i cant see how it puts any more strain on the processor as the same samples are being triggered? Also an easier way to flesh out a track would be nice.

Im still having fun but have loads of stuff stuck in sequence mode and no way of getting them finished or exported easily.

Comment

I'm using the song mode extensively and I do 128 bars or more across the clips. I approach it by recording the actual clip first, into a sample slot. Say a 128 bar improvisation from my Prophet 12, into the Blackbox. I then launch this clip from a sequencer track, and I let it run across song sections independently of other tracks. So I'd say a clip in the song section is only limited by 32 bars as far as triggering sequences on and off, not in how many bars a clip within a song section can be.

It's a bit abstract, since you don't see the clips running across the sections, you can only tell they're doing so as you play the song back. But it's really powerful, since it does mean that a section within each song clip actually only stops and starts sequences, it doesn't tell them to restart or anything just because you move to a new clip.

Comment

• Kaaareeegar
          Kaaareeegar commented
          Editing a comment
          Yes sure, thank you for sharing. Makes sense. I in my practice also understood similar workflow. However, triggering longer clips then 32 bars through sequence tracks and song combinations. What is your preferred pad mode ? Since i understand, toggle launches the clip wierdly for me. For matter, does only samples as trigger pads work perfectly well for the case ? With trigger my adsr setting seems quite ineffective. Especially the release time does not impact at the end of it. Toggle works fine in the case. But wierdly when pads set as toggle is launched through sequence tracks always starts with a wierd stutter every one bars.

Kaaareeegar Hey, I always go for Toggle. I launch the clip and just let it run. Once I want it to go quiet, just launching the relevant sequence again shuts it down.

The ADSR doesn't quite respond like one is used to, especially if you come from synths. To find your sweet spot, I usually dial down the sustain to almost zero, then start tweaking the decay and mix the two back and forth until I find the actual release that I want. I do think the Blackbox sound sculpting, such as filters, fx and envelopes, work really well if you consider them more as mixing tools to mould your sound to fit in the soundscape, and less like a sound designer's tool. They're really good, but you have to approach them with a mindset that does them justice.

Comment

• Georges
          Georges commented
          Editing a comment
          So to make this happen (i.e re-launch seq to stop the clip), you’re recording clips of the same length into any given sequence or is it even only a single clip per seq? Just trying to understand your actual workflow.

• Kaaareeegar
          Kaaareeegar commented
          Editing a comment
          So past few days i dedicated proper time in understanding,

clips/sample
          Toggle/trigger
          Sequence cell
          Song Mode

Workflow in the same priority. And am quite satisfied to be able to understand the combinations of the above for my workflow. It works perfect in order.

I feel before i could not figure out a certain order to approach and got confused. Hence i could not really make sense of a quite a bit of combinations within. And ended up not using many of the available options.

This particular order simplifies a lot of production
          value. With this i am able to practice 80-90 percent of design blackbox allows in order to produce tracks. Posts in the forums generally has helped a lot too. So pretty thankful in many ways.

Wonderful work 1010.
          Happy user here.

https://forum.1010music.com/forum/pr...-vocal-samples

I posted this a while back. I think you are asking the same.

Comment

Working...
        X