No announcement yet.

blackbox 1.7.0 feedback

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hi Aaron , sadly the usb issue is not solved for me, plugging mc707 usb into blackbox no longer reboots the unit but it does freeze and cause all the button lights to flash rapidly. unplugging seems to resume normal operation. Novation circuit plugged in via usb seems fine though. I'll have to revert to 1.65, which works with the 707.

I have tried turning off various usb out features of the 707 eg control change or clock send, but nothing has made a difference
    let me know if you want me to test anything specific
    cheers

EDIT: some notes from my first session:

first THANKS for taking the time and effort to create these new features.
    velocity and probability additions are fantastic, great stuff and fun to noodle with thanks!

As others have noted, velocity recording is now fixed to 100

previewing sounds: select new pad, load > symplesounds house piano > audition notes in menu has loud and distorted playback.
    load sample, sounds fine, much quieter (may have been in other versions and I didn't notice)

would be nice: when in event mode, touch note to select it. quicker than using scroll knob, but I understand need for knob if you are zoomed out
    would be nice: some visualisation of note volume

would be nice: logically it makes more sense to me to have the default probability 'always' mean
    100%, therefore turning the knob left would decrease from 100,99,98 etc. rather than turn right
    and go 100>1>2>3

something I noticed because I've been playing around with sending sequencer vel to other
    destinations, eg filter and pitch: when you load a different sound, it keeps all the cc/mod
    assignments the same (great) but resets the level mod every time to vel and mvol (boo). I think if you've unassigned them it'd be nice for it to remember.

may be controversial: I'd like vel / all mod values when set to 100% to affect the maximum range
    possible of the value (or at least 50%). currently if you want any large mod value changes you need to
    load the same mod source in 3 times all set to 100%

I'm not sure how to mention this in a way that doesn't sound impatient/entitled (there probably isn't one..) but I humbly request a look at the playthru timing drift, I'd really like to use that feature with heavily sliced samples. sorry to be that guy! I really do appreciate the great new stuff!
    Last edited by RMG___; 12-12-2020, 11:59 AM.

Comment

• jayneural
      jayneural commented
      Editing a comment
      Did you check the driver setting of your MC-707 ?
      Make sure it is on generic rather than vendor mode.

• RMG___
      RMG___ commented
      Editing a comment
      yeah it's on generic, I've been using it in that mode with blackbox since they added it

when recording to a sequence with step mode turned off from the on screen keyboard, it seems like blackbox is misplacing noteoff events. Most of the notes go well past the end of the sequence regardless of how short or long they were held.

Comment

I've seen this too ^ Once these little hiccups are cleared... man.... I'm going to be using this baby again.

Comment

Aaron, screen issue still persists in 1.7.1 on my unit

Comment

Got a few issues popping up with 1.7 -

USB MIDI doesn’t work for me anymore. I use the Keystep, and while it’s always given me some trouble from time to time, now it just won’t work. MIDI over regular 5-pin works, though.

When I reload a project, the pathway to some of the samples disappear. Sometimes after a few plays, sometimes at once. I need to relocate the file and load it again, and then it works. Note that this behavior happened after I had renamed a project, so that might have something to do with it.

Also, it could be that it doesn’t load the entire sample because when I get these issues and go into the sample view, the file is there but much of its waveform has been cut. So it’s like an unwanted trim, in effect, if not in practice.

Comment

• Aaron
            Aaron commented
            Editing a comment
            Please upgrade your KeyStep firmware. There was an incompatibility with the initial version. I just tested a KeyStep (not Pro) here and it is working for me.

Originally posted by LLT_LLT View Post
          Hello I no longer have MIDI output with the USB host.
          I have a PSET with MIDI in / out with mini jack and all MIDI works but not with the USB host.

Does anyone have the same as me with 1.7.0 and USB MIDI?

Thank you
          Yep, same issue.

Comment

• LLT_LLT
            LLT_LLT commented
            Editing a comment
            Thanks for your feedback

circuit, are you also having velocity issues with all notes being fixed at 100% coming through MIDI in?

I tried snooping in the bin, seen values for LowVelocity and HighVelocity. I'm gushing to have this fixed.

I love the analog warmth from the blackbox and 1010 offering option to disable the quantization has completely sold me over.

Comment

Not sending MIDI to Keystep via USB - not clock or anything. I had been working well just before I updated the firmware, and I confirmed the Keystep still works fine via USB with my DAW.

Comment

Originally posted by mycoffeeguy View Post
              circuit, are you also having velocity issues with all notes being fixed at 100% coming through MIDI in?

I tried snooping in the bin, seen values for LowVelocity and HighVelocity. I'm gushing to have this fixed.

I love the analog warmth from the blackbox and 1010 offering option to disable the quantization has completely sold me over.
              Yes, though I was thinking that was expected behaviour, but realise now, it isn't (since it hasn't been before).

Comment

I'd like to underline again the issues I'm having with file path finding. It's almost mandatory now that when I open a project, samples get cut, as if the Blackbox didn't load the entire file. One way around it seems to be that I take it easy, play them one by one, not stress the system. That seems to diminish the effect somewhat. Another one is to simply reload the project. It doesn't make any difference if the sample is a long or short loop (it only happens with loops, though). A one bar loop and a 128 bar mayhem, they're equally treated. At least the bug is including

I'm starting to wonder if it's the SD card, but it's the one supplied with the Blackbox and it's brand new.

Comment

• sydilaxe
                  sydilaxe commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I strongly encourage you not to use the stock SD card. I know it is what was shipped with the BB, but there are 100s of better performing cards out there and your issues sound like SD card issues.

Originally posted by scottp View Post
                Not sending MIDI to Keystep via USB - not clock or anything. I had been working well just before I updated the firmware, and I confirmed the Keystep still works fine via USB with my DAW.

Exact same issue, exact same keyboard.

Comment

• Steve
                  Steve commented
                  Editing a comment
                  My KeyStep Pro works as expected. But would encourage you to make sure you have the latest firmware installed. There was a known issue with KS/P USB MIDI that was fixed for me. The microSD card we provide is actually a decent card but sydilaxe is correct - there are so many better cards out there. A2 cards are now shipping and I have had some pretty impressive results using one.

Originally posted by LLT_LLT View Post
                Hello the problem of the USB host and boot loop is solved at home.

BUT I no longer have MIDI out with the USB host.
                I have a PSET with MIDI in / out with mini jack and everything works but not with the USB host.

The new features are cool and there are no issues here.
                It also seems to me that the synchronization with SLICE is better.

I had a problem displaying audio levels in sample mode and it is resolved.
                (see https://forum.1010music.com/forum/pr...age3#post19270)

A small detail of the text shift on the interface, see photo.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20201212_110412.jpg
Views:	1919
Size:	4.21 MB
ID:	19330

have a good day
                Same here with the text shift

Comment

Version 1.7.2 is now available. It should address the touch screen and MIDI velocity issue. We're still reviewing the other open ones.

Comment

• jayneural
                    jayneural commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Awesome thanks Aaron ! Will test that ASAP.

• LLT_LLT
                    LLT_LLT commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Hi
                    MIDI velocity issue ok for me.

• jsilence
                    jsilence commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Can confirm touch screen issue resolved on my box. Did not check velocity issue.

Yeah, I can change velocity and probability

A little something... When jumping through the pages in the tools screen using the info button, the last page (the new clock page) cannot be reached - firmware version 1.7.2.

Comment

Regarding the Grid off feature, I’m not sure if this is addressed earlier, but if there could be a way to avoid fixed note lengths (free recording into the sequencer with short or longer notes) in the coming firmwares, it would be great.

Apart from this, thanks a lot for this update, especially the new Poly4 and Grid off feature. Long awaited features, really happy about this.

Comment

• Steve
                      Steve commented
                      Editing a comment
                      working on it! thanks for reporting.
                  Working...
                  X