blackbox 1.7.0 feedback

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hi,

updated yesterday to 1.7.4 - is there already a known issue with controlling blackbox via midi device? I am using the xone k2 to control pad volumes, but this doesn't work anymore. Came from version 1.6.5

Greetings
    Joachim

Comment

Originally posted by hopkirQue View Post
      Hi Aaron, thank you for this update! So far everything works properly. Will test it more during the day.

Small suggestion: Let the Probability value go up and down from ALWAYS to 1 % turning knob to the right and to 99 % turning the knob to the left, it helps a lot.
      Prob = I'd suggest clockwise is preset as 0/25/33/50/66//75/100 and anti clockwise 100 > 0 in 1 increments

Comment

Is there a way to control the duty cycle in unquantized mode?

Or is there a way to record so that it recognizes note off that I've been missing all along?

Comment

BB crashing with Midi on FW 1.7.4 when

a)
          In the tools setting setting Midi-In of the Pads and the Keys to a channel (lets say channel 8) or to omni and then setting Midi-Out of a pad to this channel (channel 8) and triggering it either via tipping the pad or playing a Midi note on this channel either via USB connected Midi keyboard or Midi-Din connected device. Note: The Midi-In of the pad ist set to a different channel.

Seems to be a Midi loop that overwhelms the code.

b)
          Setting Midi-In and Midi-Out of a pad to the same channel and playing a note on this channel from USB Keyboard crashes the BB. Triggering the pad from the display plays the note in a fast loop, but does not crash the BB. Still it has to be turned off to stop the note from playing. Also here obviously a Midi Loop.

c) not a crash. but
          BB not taking Midi clock from external, neither from Midi Din/TRS nor from USB, regardless of Midi In setting for the ClockSource in the Tools section.

Comment

Not sure if this has been reported but if you record a sequence, you can only see the notes bars in the keys view, the pads is always empty

Comment

• shankiphonic
              shankiphonic commented
              Editing a comment
              one the piano roll/event screen of the sequence, the top left button (next to the grid selector) is the KEYS/PADS button.
              it's defaulted to KEYS -
              switch it to PADS before you record.

• pallozza
              pallozza commented
              Editing a comment
              Yes, I did switch the selection from keys to pads. If you select a pad and record a pad; when you look at the sequence section, that should show you the pads squares being marked as recorded; and if you switch to keys, you can see the actual notes... This is how it always worked, but now if you record notes and go from keys to pads, there is nothing there. If I go to the previous firmware (6.x), I can switch no problem and see the pads and the keys pages correctly showing the midi data

• shankiphonic
              shankiphonic commented
              Editing a comment
              could be you found a bug!

Originally posted by jsilence View Post
            BB crashing with Midi on FW 1.7.4 when

c) not a crash. but
            BB not taking Midi clock from external, neither from Midi Din/TRS nor from USB, regardless of Midi In setting for the ClockSource in the Tools section.

Also had problems with that recently. I think to remember that I managed to overcome this after trying around several times. Don't remember exactly how unfortunately, but will try to note down when I get the issue.

Comment

Originally posted by emji_herara View Post
              Also had problems with that recently. I think to remember that I managed to overcome this after trying around several times. Don't remember exactly how unfortunately, but will try to note down when I get the issue.
              Same here. Midi sync no joy.

Comment

getting popping/clicking artifacts in output when playing a long sequence which is sequencing 11 pads set to toggle with loop on, and 2 that are set to trigger. There are two separate sequences that are playing two pads which are set to slice mode. Initially thought what I was hearing was clipping, adjusted levels, cut lows with filter on low-heavy pads. Problem persisted. The sequence is 96 steps with step length of 2 bars. Artifacts start around halfway through. Here's what I did to troubleshoot - mute two pads from the long sequence but leave them in sequence - problem persist. I tried this with various pads. Then tried cutting the two pads out of the sequence, don't hear the artifacts anymore. Because the problem persisted when the pads were muted, this would point to the problem not being clipping.

Is what I'm hearing the cpu being overstressed? I'm thinking I will finish this track arrangement then duplicate the sequence with a few pads cut out and record. Then play the cut pads on the duplicate sequence with the first recording and resample it all. Hopefully that goes around the issue.
                Last edited by arteom; 02-11-2021, 08:33 PM.

Comment

• Steve
                  Steve commented
                  Editing a comment
                  CPU is likely. And while many do not like this question..... how are you powering and what is your microSD spec? It might also be a bug.

• arteom
                  arteom commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Steve, thanks for following up. Don't mind that question at all. I have three power sources, one is a android tablet usb adapter, another is ipad usb adapter, and third an antek power bank. Different usb cables with each setup. Same behavior. When I first got the blackbox I was using it with a subpar usb cable and did experience issues, learned quickly to use a better cable. The SD card is a Sandisk Ultra 256gb card, read speed of 100MB/s. Do you recommend getting something else?

Today I recorded the problem preset as is, set the only open pad to resample and hit play in song mode. The resulting sample did not capture any of the artifacts I heard as I played the preset in song mode. Which is good.

• Steve
                  Steve commented
                  Editing a comment
                  That card should be ok but I have found the best overall performance from cards with an 'A1' or 'A2' rating. But if it is working - don't mess with it!

Playing around with 1.7.4 sampling some synths in multisample mode, here are some bugs and polish ideas:

- First note from the selected range is not correctly captured when "lead in" is on -- the first note is triggered as soon as I hit rec+play. I do get a wav for the first note, but it only contains the tail of the sound (workaround: disable "lead in", or start at one note below the intended, delete the extra file, clear pad, load all)

- "Pad note" is not respected for the multisampled pad. E.g. multisampling a drum kit between C2 and C3, in pads view the pad triggers the last recorded sample (at C3) pitched to something like C4 (?), and changing pad note to say C2 has no effect. Clearing the pad and doing "load all" does not fix this.

- When "RecConfig" is set to "Per Pad", it would be nice if the pad remembered the 1x/Mx mode

- Maybe the multisample wizard should not start playing back the active sequences? I've confused myself a few times by another pad or seq sending midi notes to the synth I was multisampling.
                Last edited by IgsterKicks; 02-20-2021, 10:01 AM.

Comment

• IgsterKicks
                  IgsterKicks commented
                  Editing a comment
                  re: "lead in" and first note, disabling "lead in" samples the first note in range correctly, updated the post.

This thread is becoming too big... we need a "v1.8/v2 feedback" thread

Comment

- First note from the selected range is not correctly captured when "lead in" is on -- the first note is triggered as soon as I hit rec+play. I do get a wav for the first note, but it only contains the tail of the sound (workaround: disable "lead in", or start at one note below the intended, delete the extra file, clear pad, load all)
                  I will look into this today

- "Pad note" is not respected for the multisampled pad. E.g. multisampling a drum kit between C2 and C3, in pads view the pad triggers the last recorded sample (at C3) pitched to something like C4 (?), and changing pad note to say C2 has no effect. Clearing the pad and doing "load all" does not fix this.
                  The Pad Note parameter is the incoming MIDI Note # a pad will respond to. It does not set the pitch. When touching the pad from the screen, you will hear C.

- When "RecConfig" is set to "Per Pad", it would be nice if the pad remembered the 1x/Mx mode
                  This is a feature request and belongs on the wish list thread.

- Maybe the multisample wizard should not start playing back the active sequences? I've confused myself a few times by another pad or seq sending midi notes to the synth I was multisampling.
                  This is needed and I have reported it.

Thanks for posting.

Comment

• IgsterKicks
                    IgsterKicks commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Thank you for clarifying about the "Pad Note"! I completely misunderstood the param.

The updated user manual for Blackbox 1.7 is now available. There's a clean version, and there's a version with the changes since 1.5 highlighted in yellow.

Comment

• Kaaareeegar
                    Kaaareeegar commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Great, much appreciated.

Does that mean 1.7.4 is the official release?

Comment

• Christine
                    Christine commented
                    Editing a comment
                    There will be another build.

[1.7.4] Piano roll glitch with column 0

TLDR: Sometimes piano roll shows a position 0 note column; adding a note to it, creates a very long sequence and places the note in something like column 239?

Steps to reproduce
                  - Create a new empty preset, then turn the blackbox off and back on (I only run into this first thing after turning on)
                  - Press SEQ, pick any sequence, press info to edit. A position 0 column with a white outline is displayed:

Click image for larger version

Name:	01_column_zero.png
Views:	154
Size:	2.40 MB
ID:	22312

- tap on any note cell in this column 0
                  - the note is added in what looks like column 239? there are so many columns that the numbers get garbled

Name:	02_column_239.png
Views:	136
Size:	2.29 MB
ID:	22313

- you can zoom out all the way to this:

Name:	03_zoom_out.png
Views:	138
Size:	1.51 MB
ID:	22314

- press SEQ, then INFO on the sequence again
                  - the piano roll now starts at column 1 and has the expected length of 16; the added note can be seen in column 16
                  - continuing to edit any other sequences also works as expected, all piano roll starts at column 1 (until the next power cycle, I think).

Comment

Very much appreciating the new features, but since 1.7.4 every time i try to save PSET with the "save as" function it end up with a saving error and a corrupted PSET.
                    Also i'm having trouble to properly sync with any external clock. This happend with every clock source, midi in, midi over USB and clock IN.

Comment

Working...
                    X