Blackbox midi settings: drive external synths via midi trigger sequences

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Blackbox midi settings: drive external synths via midi trigger sequences

Not sure if this is a bug or not, but when I press play on my blackbox, to trigger a sequence I have on the blackbox; that trigger the sequencer on my external synth (a Roland JU06A).

Have been checking the settings over and over, and can't figure out exactly what is causing this. My setup is as following:

- Computer: running Cubase as DAW; I created a midi channel that take input from my master keyboard and send it to my midi interface (scarlett 18i8), which has the OUT connected to the IN of the blackbox. This works fine; when I play my master keyboard, the audio is coming out of the blackbox.

- Midi OUT from the Blackbox going to the IN of the iConnectivity Mio XM; which route to different synths (each on its own channel). My JU06A is set on CH3

- Pad: picked a sample, muted the pad and in the midi option I set midi IN as CH1, which is what is coming from my DAW via Scarlett interface, and out as CH3, which is where the OUT goes through the Mio XM.

When I play notes in Cubase, all seems fine; the note on and off goes through the midi keyboard to Cubase, out from the Scarlett midi out to the blackbox and over to the Mio XM to the JU06A. But if I press play; I won't hear only the notes I put down in the piano roll, but also the sequencer on the JU06A.

Same happens if I try to record; everything works fine, I get the notes correctly added to the piano roll, using my midi keyboard through Cubase, and they play on the JU06A, but yet again, the sequence just start to play at the same time.

Am I doing something wrong? This seems to affect all my synths fundamentally; went through the manual multiple times without finding a solution sadly

Maybe you can resolve this by setting the midi clock to internal on the JU-06A, so it wont respond to midi start/stop from the BB.
    Or just use a completely empty sequence on the JU-06A.
    Last edited by Zapman; 12-28-2020, 04:02 AM.

Comment

Yes this is a normal behavior. Just set the driven synth to an empty sequence.

Comment

Thanks, so this is expected.

By the way, is there a sync for the midi clock or BPM, when using the blackbox as sequencer fundamentally?
        I don't see a way to add BPM in a project or sequence, so I am not sure how do you end up having a specific tempo, if the Blackbox need to be the main control center to drive other midi devices.

Comment

you can set the preset tempo/bpm from the song page. it's defaulted to 120 bpm.
          the blackbox can be master or slave. note if you're sending clock in to the blackbox from an external device - the display value on the songs page doesn't change, even if the tempo is something other than 120. i.e. if you're using external clock, it doesn't really matter what the tempo of the blackbox is.

Comment

Originally posted by shankiphonic View Post
            you can set the preset tempo/bpm from the song page. it's defaulted to 120 bpm.
            the blackbox can be master or slave. note if you're sending clock in to the blackbox from an external device - the display value on the songs page doesn't change, even if the tempo is something other than 120. i.e. if you're using external clock, it doesn't really matter what the tempo of the blackbox is.
            Thanks, so the setting is per-song, not per-pattern, I see. Make sense, since each pattern can have different length or tempo I believe.
            How can I tell if the clock is getting in the blackbox or if the blackbox is sending out the clock? Ideally I would like to have the master clock coming from the sequencer, which seems to make more sense to me; although when using a DAW, I would like for the DAW to be the master clock. Is there an easy way to tell if the blackbox is getting clock or is using its own?

Comment

You can configure Clock Source in the tools section. It should be described in the blackbox manual in detail.

Comment

Originally posted by Zapman View Post
                You can configure Clock Source in the tools section. It should be described in the blackbox manual in detail.
                Thanks; I saw the manual still at 1.5 so I was not sure if anything was still relevant; the latest version is 1.7.3 I believe

Comment

• shankiphonic
                  shankiphonic commented
                  Editing a comment
                  IMHO, it's still worth it to review the latest docs. With the exception of a UI change in 1.6 (sample load/record screen), pretty much everything in there is still relevant. It's just now, there's some new stuff to discover.

Originally posted by pallozza View Post

Thanks; I saw the manual still at 1.5 so I was not sure if anything was still relevant; the latest version is 1.7.3 I believe
                I think they are busy keeping the manual up to date with all the new functions, but iirc the midi setting stuff hasn't changed in the mean time.

Comment

Working...
                X