Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can pads have velocity layers?

Hello!

So sorry if there is another thread about this topic, I tried searching for it but didn't find any other threads. Looked around in the manual too, and the closest I found was multi-sample pads, but the info seemed to be not what I was looking for.

Basically, I'm curious if its possible to velocity layer samples in single pad slots. Example: a Snare Rim-shot sample on top of a Snare Ghost-note sample, and be able to set the Rim-shot to only trigger after a certain velocity threshold was reached.

Thanks!

Yes, I just did this for a bunch of drum samples (though only velocity layers of the same drum sound on each pad). I had problems naming samples and using them as multisamples for this purpose but multisamples is what you wanna use. My solution was to make the velocity layers in Abletons Sampler (any sampler should do) and then use the internal multisampling tool in the Blackbox with MIDI from the Blackbox to the computer and audio from the computer to the Blackbox. I setup the Blackbox to sample from C4 (60) to C4 (60) with 6 velocity layers. Now I have all my drums with the velocity layers I wanted

Comment

Originally posted by pro424 View Post
      Yes, I just did this for a bunch of drum samples (though only velocity layers of the same drum sound on each pad). I had problems naming samples and using them as multisamples for this purpose but multisamples is what you wanna use. My solution was to make the velocity layers in Abletons Sampler (any sampler should do) and then use the internal multisampling tool in the Blackbox with MIDI from the Blackbox to the computer and audio from the computer to the Blackbox. I setup the Blackbox to sample from C4 (60) to C4 (60) with 6 velocity layers. Now I have all my drums with the velocity layers I wanted
      Right on, guess I'll try and dive in to multi-samples. Btw, any idea what the numbers mean after the root note ie, "C4 (60)" ? Could that be velocity? I didn't see that mentioned in the manual.

Thanks very much for the reply!

Comment

• pro424
        pro424 commented
        Editing a comment
        The number after C4 for example is always 60 and is the MIDI note number When you multisample with velocity layers the files will be named "filename"-note number-velocity. For example Pad-060-050 would be the file name for a sound I named Pad and sampled at C4 with velocity 50.

Gotcha, thanks!

Comment

Hi there,
        first of all thanks for sharing!

So is it not possibel ATM to "load all" with correctly named samples (NAME-MIDINOTE-VELOCITY) and then have a functioning multisample pad with velocity layers?

Can that only be achieved by using the multisample function from the black box to a DAW where you set everything up?
        I am pretty sure a lot of us have e.g. drum sample packs in wave form with velocities and are eager to bring them to the BB
        without that big hassle of setting up the DAW etc.

cheers

Comment

Originally posted by LeoSlawik View Post
          Hi there,
          first of all thanks for sharing!

So is it not possibel ATM to "load all" with correctly named samples (NAME-MIDINOTE-VELOCITY) and then have a functioning multisample pad with velocity layers?

Can that only be achieved by using the multisample function from the black box to a DAW where you set everything up?
          I am pretty sure a lot of us have e.g. drum sample packs in wave form with velocities and are eager to bring them to the BB
          without that big hassle of setting up the DAW etc.

cheers
          I wasn't able to get this to work. I tried adding the wavs onto the SD card and then starting a new multi sample in the BB. I could never get the load all option to do anything but load one file. I tried going through all my samples individually and saving their root notes and I tried messing with pad note defaults as well with no luck. I gave up.

Comment

bitbox/blackbox can't parse the filenames. You have to modify /smpl metadata that not all DAWs and audio editors can deal with. Kinda frustrating that you can't externally create multisample libraries that can be read into the 1010 boxes. You have to create the multisample within the 1010 ecosystem for it to work without painful file editing.

Comment

• LeoSlawik
              LeoSlawik commented
              Editing a comment
              Thanks for clearing that up and for saving me from having to go through it myself - just started and then i saw your post
              I'll post something on the wishlist board - i think it would be super useful to being able to load multisamples manually
              into note numbers and on a certain velocity layer.
              For now i am doing one trick somebody posted elsewhere, where i take several percussion hits with ascending velocities
              in one file and then loading them as slices and then trigering the slice by the vel modulation (100%), after deactivating level modulation
              from vel to none.

cheers
          Working...
          X