Internal Modulation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Internal Modulation

What tips/hacks are you guys using to modulate your samples via black box ?

Is there a way to modulate the samples in blackbox from an external midi controller via lfo, envelopes, so basically automated modulations

I use quantized recording to resample the BB on a predefined number of bars duration and I move the parameters I need to modulate during the recording.

1. Select Resample as source
    2. Set the number of bars you want to record
    3. Start recording
    4. Make your parameter moves while recording

You then get the modulated sound inside the target pad.

Of course you then cannot modify the modulation without rerecording it but at least it doesn't require any external hardware.

You can also use an external controller so that you can have quicker access to parameters while resampling with modulation.

Comment

• FreedomSeven
      FreedomSeven commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks for this jayneural

I was looking for something to automate the modulations
      But I will still use your suggestion to add more movement for now
      Good call on using an external controller

I'm building a CV to MIDI converter using an Arduino. It requires some basic electronics and programming skills, but nothing too hard. The only somewhat tricky thing is scaling the voltages to make sure it doesn't clip or blow up the Arduino. Costs about 10 euros in parts. This allows me to use CV to modulate anything that accepts CC messages (or other MIDI stuff). Befaco's CV Thing and VCMC do the same thing if you're not into DIY.

Comment

• FreedomSeven
      FreedomSeven commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks for this 2nd reply pieter3d

Ive only just come to the whole cv world quite recently
      So didn't really know what's possible with it
      I understand that its a voltage being used as a control

So is it kinda like midi information that you just send to a destination ?
      So I could use a cv signal to modulate the filter on blackbox ?
      How would you use it with Blackbox ?

The only thing I don't understand is midi can be used on 16 channels and have various ccs pertaining to specific destinations
      How does that work as a cv ?
      Would each cv not just be one path ?

• pieter3d
      pieter3d commented
      Editing a comment
      CV is short for control voltage. It's what modular synths use for example. Since I already have gear that can send CV, this is a simple way for me to get some modulation. MIDI is digital (and the BB doesn't have CV inputs) so you have to convert analog voltages to MIDI messages, that's what the Arduino does. And yeah, each CV signal becomes a CC message. Once you have that working, you can use the MIDI learn function to assign the CC's to the parameters you want to modulate in the BB.

My Arduino nano has 8 analog inputs (analog to digital converters; ADC's), so if I use all of them I can send 8 CC messages at the same time.

• FreedomSeven
      FreedomSeven commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks again pieter3d

Helps me understand better

Originally posted by FreedomSeven View Post
    Is there a way to modulate the samples in blackbox from an external midi controller via lfo, envelopes, so basically automated modulations
    yes.

Comment

• FreedomSeven
      FreedomSeven commented
      Editing a comment
      Wow, this is perfect thanks

Wonder if this can be done with an Electric 2 ?

Don't have the budget for digitakt now

• shankiphonic
      shankiphonic commented
      Editing a comment
      No idea what electribes can do.
      If they can sequence other gear, it should work

Yeah FreedomSeven I tried it with my ES2 and it did send CC but not modulated from ES2's sequencer :P sadly unless you got it working?.
    I did get automated modulation coming from my MicroFreak, but lol i want my freak to be an audio instrument now just modulator thats why the Elctribe would be better as it's got the 16 instruments to choose from.
    I've got a bit OSD with this issue atm. think I maY get a Bastle midi looper to loop cc to the BlackBox , BUT £40 QUID SHORT than OF a Keystep pro lol get's all a bit OTT size-wise ect ect !!

Comment

Working...
    X