My video comparison between the SP404SX and Blackbox

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My video comparison between the SP404SX and Blackbox

Definitely not a killer, but they are on to something if they could up the effects and mangling they’d grab a big piece of the SP series market. It’s unfortunate really because effects would take it from, almost there to the complete mini “sampling workstation”

Comment

I doubt many serious are using it as their backbone sequencing wise. Make it a complete integrated sampling workstation. Worry less about outside the box and more inside the box IMO.

Comment

Give us these and kill the Roland/Boss Sp market.

Comment

If not in real-time in sample edit mode destructively. Should be an easy enough port even if only allowing two at a time. We can resample

Comment

Originally posted by Villainmedia View Post
            Give us these and kill the Roland/Boss Sp market.
            Seems like 1010 puts out a new firmware update every 5 months or so, so im looking forward to some early May or June updates! *fingers crossed* although, i will say, from what ive read, the dev team might only be 1 to maybe a handfull of people over at 1010, and the fx thing seems like it might be a not so small job to tackle, but who kjnows, maybe it'll be sooner than later!

Comment

Originally posted by Villainmedia View Post
              I doubt many serious are using it as their backbone sequencing wise. Make it a complete integrated sampling workstation. Worry less about outside the box and more inside the box IMO.
              I quite like using the blackbox to sequence external gear.

Comment

Nice video. I have an sp-555 which is very close to the 404(sx) in many ways. I do combine them a lot resampling the bb through the SP's effects. Not as fast as doing it on the SP itself, but it's definitely do-able.
                After some months of having the bb now I discover that the soundshaping possibilities are quite bigger than at first thought. There's so much you can do with bi-directional looping and pitch-shifting alone. Aside from that the timestretch can go into very experimental dimensions when making the beatcount manually.
                Using external midi-control adds to that, resampling changes in pitch or delay feedback.

Comment

Thanks for making this video. I wasn't very familiar with the SP404 and appreciate the comparison.

Comment

That’s a very nice comparison video.

I had the debate with a friend last year. He was a big defender of the Sp-404 because of the quality and quantity of its FX, he didn’t even mind all the other features. There are many fans of this unit but it does looks outdated now, I would say too big for what it does. Many still use it as an FX unit.

Now Blackbox needs a good set of FX too. I mean... it’s a self-contained sampler, samples need FX I see granular mode on the BB like a very sophisticated FX, but we need more, even if they have, for some of them, to be destructive right on the waveform view to manage the cpu usage.

Comment

nice job on this.
                      I was actually very close to ordering myself a 404 when I instead chose the blackbox.
                      I recognize your desk. not sure from where, but you've been doing some cool stuff with the blackbox. keep it up.

Comment

• thatstreal
                        thatstreal commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Thank you so much, it took me awhile to find the blackbox groove, but im slowly getting in there! And the desk was an old piece of plywood i painted on a couple of years ago. I ended up cutting it to fit this particular corner in the living room for my desk space, that would be cool if there was another one just like it though! the doppelganger!!

• shankiphonic
                        shankiphonic commented
                        Editing a comment
                        When I said I recognize your desk, I meant I think I’ve seen some of your other videos

Originally posted by shankiphonic View Post
                      I recognize your desk.
                      The Black Square of Jamnation. If it enters the Black Square, it’s going to be jamming’!

Comment

• thatstreal
                        thatstreal commented
                        Editing a comment
                        That my friend, was a MAGNIFICENT sentence, I love it!
                        "The Black Square of Jamnation. If it enters the Black Square, it’s going to be jamming’!"
                        For as long as I have this desk, and if anybody asks about it, they will hear that sentence
                        in its story! and you will be quoted! Thank you for that
                    Working...
                    X