Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Midi syncing with looper pedal?

Hi there!

I am looking at getting a Blackbox to use for a daw-less setup with my guitar, pedals, keyboards, etc. I am wondering how I can sync up a looper pedal with the Blackbox so that when I start/stop a guitar loop, the Blackbox will know when to start/stop "listening" so that I can add drums from the Blackbox and they will be in time with the loop.

My goal would be to use my Morningstar MC-6 midi controller to send a midi message to a midi-capable looper pedal (such as the Chase Bliss Blooper or Boss RC-5) to tell it to start/stop recording. In addition, I would also like to send midi messages to the Blackbox to tell it to start/stop "listening". In other words, I would like the looper pedal to be the master clock that sends my tempo information to the Blackbox, and then be able to program some drum sequences that are in time with the looper pedal.

Is it possible to do this?

I realize that I can just run my guitar into pedals and then into the Blackbox using a 1/4" to 1/8" cable and just use the live looping feature of the Blackbox (right? is that how that works?). However, I would like the looper pedal output to go to a guitar amp and the Blackbox output to go to a PA Speaker.

Side note: I could decide on a tempo before I start looping and then enter that tempo into the Blackbox and use the metronome while I'm recording, but I am trying to avoid that for live use.

Any info would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!

Edit: I think I may have answered my own question by finding this in the manual:

"MIDI Input - When a MIDI signal is connected to the Device USB jack or the MIDI In TRS jack on the back of the case, blackbox will follow MIDI Start, Stop and Clock messages."

So I guess I can indeed control the start/stop/clock of Blackbox with my MC6. I guess I was just wondering if anyone has actually tried this in conjunction with a looper pedal and if so, how well they sync up.
    Last edited by shoegazecity; 03-07-2021, 11:30 AM.

I sometimes use the Digitakt as the master clock in a similar scenario.
    DT sends clock & transport to both the Blackbox and the Blooper, as well as transport to the blooper.

I'm having a little trouble following exactly what you're hoping to accomplish.
    you mention you want the blackbox to "start/stop *listening*". but you then follow up describing basic midi transport for the blackbox.

I'd think you'd want clock from the Morningstar, not the looper pedal...

Comment

I very often used the clock in and out with the black box. It functions exactly as you'd expect, which I guess is a great sign.​​

Comment

Working...
      X