What mixer/recorder can I use with my Blackbox

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What mixer/recorder can I use with my Blackbox

Hiya Folks what a great forum!, I have just got a Blackbox and want to build a simple portable dawless setup. I am a complete novice so am in need of some advice, I intend to get a Dreadbox typhon and a Uno synth, with the Blackbox as midi controller and sampler, so I figure I will need to mix the 3 outputs(maybe more than 3) in a mixer of some kind, and i also need to record the result. I have looked at the Bluebox, but it does seem overly complicated(and pricey) considering my simple needs. Should I bite the bullet and get a Bluebox(when they are in stock) or are there more suitable/simple alternatives. I mean what were Blackbox owners using before the Bluebox became available? I am assuming that some of you are using your Blackbox in a similar way to me. Anyway thanks for looking, and hopefully some interesting replies.

I’m a novice as well and have a similar setup. I have a synth and a drum machine feeding into a little behringer mixer and the mixer output feeds into my blackbox. I record everything into the blackbox as samples. When I’m ready to record a track i just use the resample function on the blackbox. That’s good enough for now and means my setup stays super compact.

Comment

In the ultra-compact mixers market, the Bluebox hasn’t really got competition right now except maybe the Roland Go mixer series or Zoom F or H recorders series.

So I think the alternative if you really want to stay compact would be to get a « mobile sound card » like some made by IK Multimedia and record with your mobile or tablet (preferably Apple for audio apps). But it’s already quite an investment and you also need to bring your phone/tablet in the setup.

I personally opted for the Bluebox because a stereo mini-jack mixer is exactly what I needed and was waiting for. I just wish it also was a sound card as I have always been using my mixers as my sound card since digital mixers exist.

Comment

Ive been mulling over the mixer dilemma for about 6 months now...
        i thought about a dude, then a behringer, now thinking of either a yamaha, mackie or soundcraft in the £120 region.
        I'm going ro wait till the bloody shops are open again and go in and speak to someone.
        Can the BB out go into a mixer (along with other hardware), then the out of the mixer back into the BB to record?

Comment

• jayneural
          jayneural commented
          Editing a comment
          Of course it can.

The Blender is a pretty small and capable mixer with about the same footprint as the Blackbox:
        https://www.amazon.com/TC-HELICON-Bl.../dp/B07N2TVG29

But you would still need a recorder. The Zoom H6 has 4 inputs and a small on-board mixer. If you spring for an optional EXH-6 module you can add 2 more inputs. It also doubles as a USB audio interface and has a bunch of other trucks up its sleeve.

Comment

Hi my setup consists of a blackbox a typhon and a modal craft synth 2.0. I’m also waiting for the bluebox to be restocked so in the meantime I’m using a mickXer which is a passive 5 stereo in summed to a 3.5 stereo out mixer which I got from gear4music uk for £15.99. This is a great cheap compact option that requires no power and sounds pretty good. You should definitely look at the craft synth over the uno it’s the same size as the blackbox and sounds amazingly good for the money and is wavetable synthesis so increases your sound palette. You would then have sampler with granular a kickass analog synth and wavetable synthesis in a seriously compact setup.

Comment

Originally posted by LanceRidler View Post
            Hi my setup consists of a blackbox a typhon and a modal craft synth 2.0. I’m also waiting for the bluebox to be restocked so in the meantime I’m using a mickXer which is a passive 5 stereo in summed to a 3.5 stereo out mixer which I got from gear4music uk for £15.99. This is a great cheap compact option that requires no power and sounds pretty good. You should definitely look at the craft synth over the uno it’s the same size as the blackbox and sounds amazingly good for the money and is wavetable synthesis so increases your sound palette. You would then have sampler with granular a kickass analog synth and wavetable synthesis in a seriously compact setup.
            I have the typhon and the Uno coming today, got them both for the price of the typhon so i'm happy there, BUT once you start buying gear you cant stop, so I have ordered the Korg Minilogue-XD Module, so that's 6 Analogue voices to mess around with, Still no mixer but I am looking at the passive one you mention, but I am coming round to the Bluebox now! and when they are available again I will have to stretch my credit even further lol. This cheap Hobby is getting very expensive now!

Comment

• Steve
              Steve commented
              Editing a comment
              we expect the bluebox to be in stock in 2 (ish) weeks from now.

With KeyLargo, volume-only mixing while stand-alone, it also acts as a sound card, so if you need a more advanced mixer, you can chime in your computer or an FX device: https://www.radialeng.com/product/key-largo

Comment

• jayneural
              jayneural commented
              Editing a comment
              wow I didn't know this product, very interesting.

• Georges
              Georges commented
              Editing a comment
              it’s definitely geared towards live, a very robust piece of equipment

Surprised that nobody mentioned the Maker Hart mixer. It has 5 stereo inputs and is $73.99 on Amazon.

I've got the Bluebox and I can see it as overkill for many simple uses. If you read in the Bluebox forum, you'll find the word "quirky" used often to describe its workflow, so it could definitely be improved (especially with the way outputs are used (and named).

There's a review Ricky Tines put up on Youtube (and if you're reading this, thanks for posting that video). He does mention some possible sound coloring, but it was minimal (if anything at all).

It is definitely worth looking into if you're trying to stay with a small form factor, keep to a lower budget, and if you don't need all the features of Bluebox. I'm actually considering buying one in addition to the Bluebox for the times I just want to plug stuff in and not worry about creating a new project, naming inputs, and configuring my outputs.

I ended up buying Bluebox because I wanted the EQ section, the ability to record everything (separately) and I'm looking forward to the next firmware iteration which will resolve the midi sync record option.

Comment

• jayneural
              jayneural commented
              Editing a comment
              I love this thread.

Didn’t know the maker hart mixer either, never showed up on n’y searches on Amazon. There is also the Just Mixer 5 from the brand.

Very cool stuff thx.

• Steve
              Steve commented
              Editing a comment
              bluebox 1.0.11 was released yesterday and address the MIDI issues.

Here I am again, I have decided That I will definitely get the Bluebox, Its form factor and its portabability are the main consideration, and what's a few hundred quid more on the credit card matter, BUT no one has got any in stock so to tide me over I have bought a Little Bear MC5 which is a passive mixer , just 4 stereo inputs on 1/8 th TRS and one out, it has a volume knob for each channel and that's it, just over 25 quid, It will probably end up in with all the kettle leads and midi cables and computer spare parts after its finished with. I am worried though that the bluebox might be a bit over the top for my use, but hey, you know what they say about better to have it and not use it, than not have it when you need it! I am a bit surprised how good this IK UNO is, its cheap plastic with a little capacitance keyboard, but it sounds great, and so easy to get cool sounds out of it, not bad for £109. Anyway, that's it for now, thanks to everyone who took time out to reply I'm gonna have to start learning all my new gear now so "Ciao" for now!

Comment

• Steve
              Steve commented
              Editing a comment
              we expect the bluebox to be in stock in about 2 weeks.

I have an Uno and love it.
          Working...
          X