Doom!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Doom!

1010, you guys won April Fools. Seriously. All these years the internet delivering all these false promises on 4/1. Teasing us with amazing ridiculousness. Most of which we laughed at. But for some things we were like "Wouldn't that be cool? Like putting Doom on the Blackbox? Totally hilarious and unnecessarily but cool for just a moment?" And then... you actually... made it work!

You guys rock. Totally amazing. Thanks for the laugh and the nostalgia.
    https://www.instagram.com/benguerrette/

"Three easy payments, or one complicated payment!" That's the story of my life.

Comment

Some of the responses seem to suggest that Earth must have been invaded by Kylosians.

Comment

Yup best April full joke is actually not a joke

Next : please port LSDJ (Little Sound DJ) open source gameboy tracker sequencer on the Blackbox, and make the audio-midi I/O available to it

Aaron, this is your Easter Day challenge.
        Last edited by jayneural; 04-02-2021, 02:55 AM.

Comment

Quite cool. Friend of mine had made a doom module which could enter any modular system.

Comment

So we can have Doom on the blackbox but still can’t seem to have midi controller changes reflected on screen.
            Nice.

Comment

• Steve
              Steve commented
              Editing a comment
              sorry to disappoint you.

• shankiphonic
              shankiphonic commented
              Editing a comment
              Christine predicted some complaints like this back when it was first leaked that Aaron was working on Doom.
              The prophecy has come to pass!

I'd also like to mention the following:
              > We got Doom, and I still have to wait 15 minutes after eating before I can swim.
              > We got Doom, but that NFT you bought still hasn't appreciated in value.
              > We got Doom, and your dog still isn't toilet trained.
              > We got Doom, and I still don't see the appeal of Phish's live stuff.
              > We got Doom, and at the gas station, you can still buy a bunch of Mumm's in place of a single bottle of finer Champagne.

• MFischer
              MFischer commented
              Editing a comment
              well shankiphonic, looks like we got Doom but also have to deal with unrelated comments too.

this is good, this is very good. please spend the next several years making it so I can load my samples into the game and blast away at them for custom bitcrusher effect.

Comment

Love how folks are salty over this, exactly what April 1 is all about. Good to see some fun and not taking everything so seriously. Can't wait for the release of brownbox

Comment

• shankiphonic
                shankiphonic commented
                Editing a comment
                brown box plays the brown note?

I thought the April Fool's joke put a big smile on my face I got it I cracked up at the one complicated payment just ordered a black box 5 minutes ago excited

Comment

I bought my third BlackBox last week. Nothing has made me smile in recent years quite so much.

Comment

So Good! I love it

Comment

Originally posted by softroom View Post
                    I bought my third BlackBox last week. Nothing has made me smile in recent years quite so much.
                    Er Um! Why Three? I mean they are nice, but they are not exactly collectors items are they, Two I could just about understand, 32 tracks instead of 16, but do you honestly need 48 tracks, or am I missing something here? And Happy Easter Bye the way.

Comment

Originally posted by softroom View Post
                      Nothing has made me smile in recent years quite so much.
                      Same here. I have not been so productive with a sampler since JJOS. Blackbox is the perfect combo of limited and deep, forcing you to work creatively and resourcefully. It doesn't try (or need) to be everything under the moon like MPC Live. I will probably nab a second one eventually.

Comment

This was amusing and quite playable. 10 mins putting a smile on my face while I blast those monsters on a portable device, before reflashing the firmware. LSDJ could be fun on the BB too..

Comment

• jayneural
                          jayneural commented
                          Editing a comment
                          I’m begging for LSDJ in there. Imagine the I/Os and file structure access to load the samples are interfaced. Could be really really fun

Originally posted by whiteturbo View Post

Er Um! Why Three? I mean they are nice, but they are not exactly collectors items are they, Two I could just about understand, 32 tracks instead of 16, but do you honestly need 48 tracks, or am I missing something here? And Happy Easter Bye the way.
                        No great secret - I have three discrete work areas in my studio.
                        I long ago discovered that having the whole studio on at all times was counter-productive so I divided things up in an effort to get more done (by reducing choices). Each area has a driving sequencer (e.g. Cirklon, Octatrack, Digitone) and a BlackBox connected to one of the buses of a mixer ready to grab anything I need. I even removed a Zoom multitracker from the most recent area as I prefer the long audio captures and free starts of the BB to conventional multitracking. Sixteen audio chunks is more than enough - this album was recorded on one of the setups:
                        https://paulnagle.bandcamp.com/album/accidental-hermit
                        Hope that helps, merry christmas!

Comment

Working...
                        X