advice on using blackbox in dj setup

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• advice on using blackbox in dj setup

Wanted to see if anyone is using blackbox in a dj setup and how it is one might go about doing that. I think if there was some sort of a module that came after the blackbox that would let you pitch up and down (like on a turntable) the audio from the blackbox so you could beatmatch with whatever you are trying to mix with that would do it, I just am not aware of any such module.

Pitch is one of the sample parameters that accepts midi cc as a modulation source.
    So you could use a controller like a launch control to have quick access to pitch for your pads.

you can also just dive into the menu on the blackbox itself to change the pitch.

and I have no business replying, I suppose, because I haven't used it in a dj setup.

Comment

Originally posted by shankiphonic View Post
      Pitch is one of the sample parameters that accepts midi cc as a modulation source.
      So you could use a controller like a launch control to have quick access to pitch for your pads.

you can also just dive into the menu on the blackbox itself to change the pitch.

and I have no business replying, I suppose, because I haven't used it in a dj setup.
      that's actually not a bad idea. I did a quick run through this with just a phone playing a track and tried to mix one of my finished tracks into it with the blackbox. It was a bit rough, and a bit odd to try and match bpm using encoder vs a fader but got close enough. With a turntable playing the other track this should be very much doable as you could bring it close with the blackbox then do the final matching on the turntable. Normally, one would adjust the pitch/speed on the track that's coming in, not the one that's playing, but if adjustment is small enough it's not terribly noticeable. I'm going to try this tomorrow with turntables. it's also really cool because you can set track to slice mode and set your cue point.

what I actually had in mind in my first post was not working with finished tracks as a single wav file but a preset with multiple pads and sequences. The above might work with that in mind, but would definitely require a use of a midi controller, and would further require manually mapping pitch for each pad to midi controller. Wouldn't be tenable. Maybe tempo can be adjusted, but not sure that adjustment for that is fine enough.

Comment

so I tried it with turntables and was able to sync up alright after a few tries. the process was setting the sample start at cue point, then trying to match speed with pitch in the pad screen. So essentially it would be try to get pitch right and hit the sample name button on top right which would reset and play sample from cue point (this was really helpful), then repeat until it's close enough. Bring up the channel that has the blackbox, then make final pitch adjustments on the turntable that is playing.

This controller also looks interesting - https://dark-controller.com/darkfader/. Though not sure in what capacity it would really be able to emulate turntable pitch fader when used with the blackbox, also costs damn near $400! Ultimately though I think something like that and some minor additions to blackbox such as finer pitch adjustment, and maybe being able to set a range for that adjustment like +/- 8% to emulate turntable (maybe that would more in domain of the controller though?) would make the blackbox a very interesting alternative to something like serato (which to me is offputting as you're staring at a laptop screen).

Comment

• shankiphonic
          shankiphonic commented
          Editing a comment
          $400 is nuts for that.
          I'm sure it's very nice, but still.
          I'd start with a launch control XL maybe even find a guitar center or other store that has one open and test it out for the precision, as that seems really important to you. I note that device in particular because I recall a Ricky Tinez video in which he's got his mapped to do volume and freq on all 16 pads, which is pretty dope. you could just map pitch instead.
          Otherwise - have you checked out Faderfox?
          their stuff is a little harder to get a hold of, but reviews are pretty positive.

• arteom
          arteom commented
          Editing a comment
          shankiphonic, yeah that is crazy expensive, though I kinda appreciate how little space it takes up. I don't know that a midi controller with conventional fader for volume would work, as on a turntable 0 is in the middle rather than the bottom. Though maybe that can be set by midi controllers software. Good idea though to go to like a guitar center with the blackbox and see if anything might work well.

I don’t DJ. I used to play live DJ type shows using Ableton and mixing beat/bass/melodies etc for house type music.
        I could see the BB being useful for playing pre-recorded segments of music while you cue up other songs (creating a rest and research time for you)
        I could also see it as invaluable to record your sessions, and to have those sessions archived as backups in case of a system crash or gear failure.
        Other ideas are using it as a sound board for sound FX, for venue related messaging/advertising/information distribution etc.

Comment

• arteom
          arteom commented
          Editing a comment
          I think even just using it as a sampler to record vocal parts and replay them later sliced up, with some delay added, would be cool.
      Working...
      X