No announcement yet.

how do you keep track of your presets?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• how do you keep track of your presets?

How do you keep track of your presets? Especially after you've been away from the blackbox for a day or 2, how do you find "that thing" you were working on a while ago...? Not necessarily the last preset you had open before you turned the blackbox off.

I sometimes have a tough time finding an old preset. Sometimes I name things by date, other times I give names to the presets.
    I think that the alphabetical preset sort hurts me a little here. Because files are organized alphabetically, finding the 2nd to last think I was working on isn't always easy.

For a while I took to putting space in front of the main presets that I was actively working on; this made sure they were at the top of the list. As you can imagine, then I started to have a list where everything had a space in front of it.

I thought it would be nice of the preset file could be sorted by last date modified, but then I realized that blackbox doesn't have an internal date/time calendar (I don't think).

I have a little paper journal that I use for keeping notes, but my discipline stinks, and I don't always make entries.

I find that I have similar issues with tracking down older projects on the digitakt - however, the digitakt maintains an ordered list of projects. project 28 is in slot 28 until it's deleted. And if it is deleted, project 29 is still project 29 - project 28's slot is just opened up. So I can make a quick note that I was working on project 28, or 31 or whatever.
    What I'm pointing out here is that it's nice to see what I've been working on in the order it was created.
    I get that the digitakt has internal storage and the blackbox has removable storage only, so they're different in many ways.

I try to have 2-3 projects that are in progress at any given time. Alternating projects between the few to keep it interesting. I work on them until I have a semi-finished song - all samples there, sequence/mix is mostly done, track is named. At this point I do repeated listens over a period of time to finalize the mix, record it, and take it to computer to run it through izotope.

There are some that have slipped through the cracks, are unfinished/unnamed, but I am ok with that too .

Comment

Consider starting your project name with a two or three digit number and you can make the alphabetic sorting work for you:
      • 001 My first project
      • 002 The sequel
      • and so on

Comment

• shankiphonic
        shankiphonic commented
        Editing a comment
        a good idea. I'll try this.

I erase any older project that doesn’t immediately have my attention. If I spark an idea, but that idea isn’t strong enough to keep me coming back, to the delete button it goes.
      then my efforts can stay on more promising projects and I do t have a long list of weak ideas lingering and taking away my energies.

Comment

• shankiphonic
        shankiphonic commented
        Editing a comment
        I don't have the delete discipline...

000 SessionName version
      001 SessionName version

Comment

Same as Steve/Aaron. I made the mistake of 0# and once I hit 100 I had to go rename things.

000 Track
        001 Song

Comment

• shankiphonic
          shankiphonic commented
          Editing a comment
          lessons learned in blood are not soon forgotten!
      Working...
      X