X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• shankiphonic
    commented on 's reply
    Georges
    I think that clips work very nicely for audio samples that are created within a blackbox preset, e.g. external recording (L,R,L+R) or resampling.
    They just do the right thing.
    My last weekend project, for example ( https://www.instagram.com/p/CSntS00N..._web_copy_link ) was very clip-centric, focused on sounds sampled from external synths.

In the case of the samples shown in this video, I chose to use sequences with gated samples because that's what worked for me according to my interpretation of the use case.
    If the BPM of a "foreign born" sample is suitable to line up with your PSET/SONG bpm, then you could probably use the sample as a Clip, and get similar control by setting the launch mode to "Toggle". you just need to determine what settings to use on the Pads>Misc. Again, when you sample something into the blackbox, I think this just works with beat count set to auto...

• Georges
    commented on 's reply
    thank you the video, interesting workflow, so far i’ve only worked with clips (alas no odd bars because of the limitation) and used seqs for creating song parts, and then song mode to trigger the seqs (which are song parts), maybe i should open up my workflow, so what you are saying is: with clips you don’t need sequences but with sample+seqs+gate one can be potentially more flexible in case of odd bars?

• shankiphonic
    commented on 's reply
    Now I want to see/hear what you’re going to do with it!

• CharlieThorstenson
    commented on 's reply
    A big thanks for this video! Think the Blackbox can fit my needs

• shankiphonic
    replied
    I finally got around to documenting my findings.
    What you'll see here is that I'm a sequence fiend, and approaching this requirement with sequences was not a problem (for "power of 2" samples).
    You'll also see that I'm borderline willfully ignorant about the extended functionality of clips.
    I detailed a limitation towards the end of the recording.
    Hope that helps.
    Will you be getting a blackbox?

Leave a comment:

• CharlieThorstenson
    commented on 's reply
    Nice groove! Thanks for trying it out!

• shankiphonic
    replied
    We were all thinking way too hard about this.
    @CharlieThostenson - if you listen to what's attached, you should hear something familiar -this clip is not long enough to hear the whole loop, but I ran it for hours...... great atmospheres, man!

https://www.instagram.com/p/CSOfh04FA-X
    Last edited by shankiphonic; 08-06-2021, 01:13 PM. Reason: typo

Leave a comment:

• CharlieThorstenson
    commented on 's reply
    Ah! A big thanks for finally clearing this up!
    So up to 128 bars everything should be OK, and above that 256, 512, 1024 and so on..!

Now I can finally relax my little brain on this

• shankiphonic
    commented on 's reply
    was wondering when you would chime in ​​​​​​​@Michal Ho ...

• Michal Ho
    replied
    Originally posted by CharlieThorstenson View Post
    I can't seem to get a clear answer anywhere... Can someone help me out?

1. Can I loop a 71bar (for example) sample by setting beat count to 284 (71 x 4). If not, how can I do this?

2. Longer samples. 224bars for example. Are these impossible to loop? If possible, can you explain how to go around to do this

3. Let's say I make a 256bar loop. It's in the power of 2. Are these possible to loop?

For me, these scenarios are very common and a key to how I play live... I'm hoping the Blackbox can do these things..
    1. yes.
    2. 224 bars won't play properly. trim to 128b or extend to 256b
    3. yes, and by the same rule: 512, 1024, 2048 bars.

Leave a comment:

• shankiphonic
    replied
    I worked it out.
    better results than I expected.
    video to follow.

Leave a comment:

• Georges
    replied
    yup, currently the blackbox is quite “difficult” in terms of handling odd bars

Leave a comment:

• CharlieThorstenson
    replied
    shankiphonic Wow, that would be super-helpful! Appreciate this a lot. Link coming up!

Leave a comment:

• shankiphonic
    replied
    if you wanna share a link with me to download (24/48) examples of the loops, and tell me their beat counts I'll play with them, and we can look at the results together. I'm not optimistic tho....

Leave a comment:

• CharlieThorstenson
    replied
    I can't seem to get a clear answer anywhere... Can someone help me out?

1. Can I loop a 71bar (for example) sample by setting beat count to 284 (71 x 4). If not, how can I do this?

2. Longer samples. 224bars for example. Are these impossible to loop? If possible, can you explain how to go around to do this

3. Let's say I make a 256bar loop. It's in the power of 2. Are these possible to loop?

For me, these scenarios are very common and a key to how I play live... I'm hoping the Blackbox can do these things..

Leave a comment:

Working...
X