No announcement yet.

blackbox 1.9 feedback

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I've been playing with the MIDI type sequences in 1.9F, and I have some oddities to report.
    I'm working with a USB MIDI controller sending to channel 2. I have a MIDI sequence set to send on channel 10. It plays fine, and records what I input, but it doesn't draw any of the notes in MIDI type sequence. If I switch to PAD, then I see them. Details are in this video:
    https://drive.google.com/open?id=1cW...m&usp=drive_fs

Comment

• Beta 1.9F
      I tried recording some quarter notes into a MIDI sequence, and got some weird results - all the notes seem to get blended together. This is with Step Sequence ON and OFF.
      I was also under the impression that I could record note length if I had step mode off? Or am I mistaken on that?
      video with details here:
      https://drive.google.com/file/d/1cUm...ew?usp=sharing

Comment

• pnyboer
        pnyboer commented
        Editing a comment
        Worth noting, perhaps, this is sending MIDI to a Roland SH01A.

• Originally posted by pnyboer View Post
      Beta 1.9F
      I tried recording some quarter notes into a MIDI sequence, and got some weird results - all the notes seem to get blended together. This is with Step Sequence ON and OFF.
      I was also under the impression that I could record note length if I had step mode off? Or am I mistaken on that?
      video with details here:
      https://drive.google.com/file/d/1cUm...ew?usp=sharing
      have you set the the mode to gate though?

Comment

• testing 1.9f, so far so good:

-lfo waveform updates when you switch it over, and that is awesome, but when you have something playing, press beat to sync up in subdivitions, it doesn't update via the tap tempo until you move the rate knob
        - just a tought, it could be cool to modify FX parameters via LFO (karplus strong madness indeed)
        - still need to test the long samples going silent or stopping by themselves, has this been adressed?

Comment

• arteom
          arteom commented
          Editing a comment
          I'm seeing that last one too, long samples going silent for brief periods. am on 1.9F

• Originally posted by peachnoise View Post

have you set the the mode to gate though?
        I was under the impression that is a property for the sample/pad. I'll test that for MIDI, though.

Comment

• pnyboer
          pnyboer commented
          Editing a comment
          Ok, I think i figured out how this can work, but it's super weird with the MIDI type sequence.
          For example...
          I have the bottom left pad "KICK" set to trigger, and the top right corner pad set to "TOM" set to gate.
          I have a MIDI type sequence setup to send out to channel 1 with step mode off.
          I go to PADS and select KICK and go back to my SEQS and record some notes into my MIDI sequence, using an external USB MIDI controller.
          The notes play with a fixed duration.
          I go to PADS and select TOM, then go back to SEQS and record some more notes into my MIDI sequence.
          The notes play with the duration I played them. Meanwhile, the notes I previously recorded with KICK selected are playing with the fixed duration.

So now I get the logic, but I think this logic applied to MIDI type clips seems pretty burdensome and confusing to a new user. I think MIDI clips should be decoupled from any of the PAD settings.
          I'd imagine a pretty common use would be to have a sequence that plays the pads - let's assume they are drums and you want to play them with triggers. If you want to record a melody for an external synth in another clip, you'll have to remember that you'll need to setup and select one of your samples as a trigger, potentially making that less than desirable for playing that sample in your other sequence. The extra step of needing to select that special pad seems like it's setting you up to fail when you're in the groove!

In short, it seems that MIDI should ignore the Trigger/Gate/Toggle setting for the pad, and have its own configuration for that in the INFO screens.
          Last edited by pnyboer; 10-06-2021, 09:00 AM. Reason: edited for clarity

• Thank you for the update, the MIDI Record mapping works perfect and is mega useful.

I am having an issue that only seems to occur when midi recording is turned on and mapped in 1.9F

When recording in clip mode some of the pads play back in weird timings and glitch. This happened recording 4 bar loops using a Korg NanoKontrol 2 with supplied PSU 2.5a. It occurs after recording more than one pad in clip mode.

Comment

• dertranb
          dertranb commented
          Editing a comment
          19F : i tried midi rec mapping with nanoK2, too (clear/rec mapped on the NK2 transport). at the beginning it was kinda magic and then it became unstable : recorded pads became silent and can't be played... rebooting sometimes fix the pb, sometimes not... another bb's roller coster...

• I feel spoiled. First doom, now this! The one who win a free Blackbox will be a lucky soul!

Comment

• Hi amazing update and looove the lfos. Here are some issues that I found in 1.9.F
          - in the master filter I can somehow only edit one of these “dots” . In high pass mode it’s the lowest dot and so on. When I select another dot and change Q or gain nothing seems to happen
          - on the filter in the pads view: when I do a fast sweep passing the 0 point - for example from -50 % to +50% I can hear a clicking sound when I pass 0. So it’s not smooth like it was in older versions
          - I’ve had some weirdness recording multiple pads via midi with a Kong nanokey. The midi notes were not at the right spots and really off beat. I swear it wasn’t my performance i have the nano key send midi on channel 2 and i have “pads” set to channel 2 in the bb settings. This only happens if I hit several different pads on the nano key. So if I try to perform a full beat with bass drum, snare and clap then it sounds right while recording but afterwards the midi notes are really off beat. They are on grid but just too early or too late. When I only perform the bass drum or snare drum or clap it works. I think it’s somehow too much for the bb to record several pads through the nanokey at once… (seqsettings are quant “on”, 1/16 notes 32 steps)

hope this helps

Comment

• arteom
            arteom commented
            Editing a comment
            for your first issue, are you setting the EQ type by rotating the bottom right encoder? it defaults to "none".

• denizgarout
            denizgarout commented
            Editing a comment
            Aaaaa now I got it! So I have to set a type for each “dot”. For example the left one is a low cut and the 2 middle dots are set to Parm and the right one is set to high cut. It’s working now

• Random note -

On my update to 2.0 I had a similar issue to someone earlier in the thread with the BB shutting off and not powering on normally.

- Deleting the .BIN and replacing it with a fresh one fixed my issue

Comment

• Yes, after update 2.0 the filter at point 0 does not work correctly

Comment

• Found a bit of weirdness yesterday in BBS 2.0, I like to resample to a free pad to mixdown tracks. Got the crazy idea to do separate left and right so mixed down to 2 pads.

Left channel I resampled Out1L Right Channel I resampled Out1R

I open Right Channel in Audacity, nice Mono track
            I open Left Channel and WTF A Stereo Track as if I used Out1 instead of Out1L

repeated twice to make sure I didn’t screw up and use Out1 instead of Out1L

Comment

• is it possible to record notes in a midi sequence via an external midikeyboard? Or is that only possible as long as the sequence runs as a pad sequence

Comment

• denizgarout
                denizgarout commented
                Editing a comment
                I think it’s possible. So I have my korg nanokey connected sending on midi channel 2 and I set the midi keys in “tools” to channel 2. Then I take an empty Sequence and set that to “midi”. Now when I record it records whatever I play on the nanokey and when I play back I hear no Pad. (Haven’t connected my external synth yet to hear if the midi file is sending out midi)
                The only thing that doesn’t seem to work is setting a certain “midi in” channel on the midi sequence. So you basically always have to use the global “midi keys” channel. This also has some weirdness because you might still hear your selected pad while you record into the “midi” sequence. But when you’re done recording it doesn’t play back that pad anymore but only plays midi. That’s a little annoying if you have no free pads and you’re playing live trying to only trigger your external synth while recording. But I think that has been requested already in the wish list.

• beazmusix
                beazmusix commented
                Editing a comment
                ok is this case i NEED to put a sample on a pad. otherwise it dostn record the midi data. if i use a empty pad, nothing recorded. this is exactly why i dont get the cases for the midi seq

• denizgarout
                denizgarout commented
                Editing a comment
                I’m having the same problem too now… I could have sworn it worked once haha

• Switching Sequence to Midi deletes all PADS and KEYS information. Switching from PADS to KEYS doesn't?

Comment

• Originally posted by upwardspiral View Post
                Switching Sequence to Midi deletes all PADS and KEYS information. Switching from PADS to KEYS doesn't?
                Yeah, there's a lot of stuff going on here!
                Using 2.00
                When I switch a sequence between PAD and MIDI type, it's pretty cool that the sequences run in parallel. That is, I can have a Seq set to PADS, record some play on the PADS screen, then switch the Seq to KEYS, and record some things on the KEYS pages, where it plays the selected pad chromatically. I can switch back and forth, and it works in a nice way.

The Seq is set to send on CH1, so I hear all those notes on my external synth, too.

However, when I switch the Seq to MIDI, things definitely get weird. All notes stop, except what I recorded for PAD 1 (kick) gets sent to CH1, and no sample plays. If I record some notes to the MIDI Seq using a MIDI controller, I hear the selected pad played chromatically as if I was using the KEYS screen. Once I stop playing the controller, and let the Seq play, I only hear my external synth.

Then, when I switch to KEYS, the notes I recorded into the MIDI type are visible, and start playing the selected sample chromatically.

I can switch to PADS and record some more stuff. Works as expected. If I switch to KEYS type for the Seq, and then go to the KEYS page to record a few notes in, then go back to the Seq, things get really weird. The new notes appear, but the ones copied from the MIDI Seq are no longer visible, but I hear them playing as samples, and, of course on my external synth.

Looks like some bugs need to be worked out in this transition!!

Comment

• a couple of odd things to mention, I'm on 2.0.0.
                -when sequences were playing and I added a pad to be played before it got to that step in the sequence it used to play that newly added pad prior to firmware 1.7 (not exactly certain on when this stopped working). Now I often have to restart the sequence for any modifications to the sequence after it started to play to be recognized. This is just one of those things that can be time consuming when you have very long sequences. I will say its not always the case that they don't play, they do sometimes, but more often they do not.
                -with more recent 1.9 revisions sequencer no longer maps to the pad that was selected in the pad screen, now it always goes to pad 1. This was useful when pads were in slice mode, saves a step.

Comment

Working...
                X