No announcement yet.

blackbox 1.9 feedback

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I've been working with the MIDI type sequences. These work as advertised - when I play a MIDI type sequence, it only plays the synth on that MIDI channel, not the samples, too. However, when I select my MIDI sequence (playing to CH2) and play my controller on CH 1 ((MIDIn/MIDI Keys: is also CH 1) into the Blackbox, it plays the samples plus the hardware synth. I expected the samples to not play. If I send MIDI from my controller on channel 2 or 3, then nothing gets played - I expected the MIDI in would be re-channelized to the Sequence setting (2).

Comment

Not sure it's a bug per se, but I got some dangerously loud pops and bursts of volume when doing the following:

Sample set to gate, looping over small distance
      Polyphony set to 2
      Sample fade set to anything above 0
      Positive sine modulation of loop end

Seemed to happen with a sustained note when the loop got very small, but it wasn't the whine of a single sample being looped. The pops (non-zero crossings maybe) were followed by bursts of the subsequent audio at what sounded like full volume. This was through headphones set at about 30% volume, so potentially dangerous, luckily I caught it quickly. It's also probably an uncommon setup so hopefully won't happen much, but just a heads up!

Comment

Thanks all for the wonderful feedback. We have just posted version 1.9.B, which fixes many of the issues reported above.

Comment

Thanks for the speedy bugfixes!

All the issues I had encountered so far have been fixed. (launch modes, clip quant size, LFO beat/sync setting getting lost)

Can't confirm yet that the occasional sample drop-out has been fixed, which some users including me have seen, but will find out today.

Comment

so far so good, I found that the lfo shape doesn't update when an audio is playing, and it takes effect when you replay such audio, the granular mode still has some phase stuff (I guess it's due you are playing two files one of top of the other), not a dealbreaker for me but just my 2 cents, the density parameter it's hard to work with, it happens to silence the audio at the lowest value, but I just need to get the hang out of it, I will keep testing more stuff over the weekend

Comment

by the way on granular mode, we previosly had:

Grain Size
              Spread
              Grain Count
              Speed

Now we have
              Grain Size
              Scatter
              Density
              Speed
              Window
              Pand random (self explainatory)

so the only common parameters are grain size and speed

what are the differences with the other parameters vs the new ones? what do the new parameters do?

Comment

on the granular mode, sometimes I can't see the playhead indicator on the wave view, I guess I need to switch to another pad then back
                Last edited by manonthelivingroad; 09-10-2021, 10:43 AM.

Comment

Thanks for the update!

Maybe an issues: The delay, when feedback is at 0%, still has more than one delay.

peace,

inge

Comment

• Steve
                    Steve commented
                    Editing a comment
                    make sure to disable Ping Pong

Thank you 1010 Team!!!

Comment

Re. MIDI sequences - I agree with the previous poster that it would be very useful if we could set MIDI In for these as well so we don't have to use a pad slot up when using external instruments and a MIDI keyboard

Comment

Enter the pad recording page, tap the minipads in the left corner and you’re back in the pads view, is this a feature or a bug? In any case, this makes it slower to make space for new recording in several pads.

Comment

Resonance is set to 50% by default and this seems to correspond to point zero. Weirdly it also responds to both directions, is this intended?

Comment

Thank you so much for your wonderful work and this amazing update!
                          I unfortunately had to return to 1.7 because when performing transitions with a MIDI controller, I have been relying so much on being able to dial the delay feedback back down to a true zero (i.e., no tails at all). It would be helpful if that could return in the next update. Perhaps the new one-repeat mode could be added on the right hand side with the new FX 'buttons'?
                          As others have pointed out, I think a larger solution to this issue would be MIDI control of FX sends (in addition to the existing MIDI control of FX parameters). That way, delay and reverb could be dialed back down to 0 when performing transitions.

Comment

A few issues I’ve run into:
                            1.) There have been instances where input seems to be mixed up between the four encoders, with some reversed, some only scrolling through a certain part of the file list (for example), and some operating the wrong knob where the onscreen controls should be aligned with a physical control. Haven’t been able to duplicate this yet, and reboot fixes. I’ve seen this mentioned on the Facebook page, but Christine says nobody’s been able to replicate it so far.
                            2.) When importing MIDI sequences, the initial folder comes up blank. Going up a level will take you back into the normal file structure for browsing.
                            3.) I noticed some pretty significant power issues with external USB devices in the first beta. My MPD-226 was not fully powering on sometimes, and would randomly start flickering out. This seems to be fixed in 1.9b, but just wanted to make sure it had been considered since I haven’t seen it mentioned.
                            4.) I’m getting some screen flickering when the brightness is all the way down. When I turn it up slightly, the problem is fixed.

Comment

the lfos are excellent, that was the only thing blackbox was missing for me. however i just started a new project to test out all this stuff and when i started trying to shift notes around in a sequence the encoders started going totally buggy, the tempo changed randomly , and now i can't even navigate the preset menu to save or anything

Comment

Working...
                              X