what to do with all the Outs?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• what to do with all the Outs?

I wonder about the practical use of having Out3, given the other outputs. I understand that we have a line level headphone / mix output and 2 eurorack level outputs 1&2, one wet one dry. However, what do you use Out3 for? maybe for external fx?

And how practical are the Outs 1-3 with non-eurorack gear?

Please consider my question as a manifestation of my curiosity and not as a critical statement.

I'm kind of curious about the use case for the multiple outs in a non-eurorack scenario as well.

I'd like to run things into some guitar effect pedals and then back in to re-sample, but am assuming the outs other than the phones out will be too hot, and even if my pedals can be adjusted to accept hotter input, I'd prefer to leave them as they are for my guitar.

Comment

The blackbox is all eurorack level. +/-5V. However, it works well with line-level gear because the input and output stages have a wide enough range to accommodate. I use mine with NTS-1, guitar pedals, kaos pad, iOS devices, various recorders, mixers, etc. I also use with my eurorack gear. It is pretty seamless, actually. there is nothing special to do besides setting your levels.

Comment

There are 2 ways I use the outputs:
        • Sometimes I use all 3 outputs sent to 3 separate tracks in the mixer or DAW interface in order to prevent samples from stepping on each other in ways I don't like. I route most things to Output 1 and use the other two for any samples I find to be "problematic" (likely to step on other samples) or "fragile" (likely to lose some of their magic due to being stepped on by other samples).
        • Sometimes I use outputs 2 and 3 to send specific samples to other hardware like the Minitaur or Strega.

Comment

To send 6 Mono outs to my Zoom Livetrack L-8. If it had more outs I’d have gotten the L-12/20 or Tascam Model 12/16/24. Makes it a LITTLE quicker to get out of BBS into a DAW than resampling each pad to the MicroSD. HOPING We get ability to export Song to MicroSD in an update tho.

Comment

• Georges
            Georges
            Georges commented
            Editing a comment
            from what you describe, your workflow seems to focus on bb as a sampler (one shots) rather than for playing back clips recorded directly onto the bb ? If it were the latter (which is my main use case), it would not make sense quality wise to use the Outs for stem recording, would it?

I only use multiple outs on one of my Blackboxes - they're connected to six inputs of a Zoom R24. Before doing my live mix-down I set different elements to different outs for the purpose of providing stems for friends to take away and work on. In my other two machines my finished stereo mix is the finished piece of music so I don't use them.

Comment

I process all the outputs differently when I use them. Some may go through external reverb and delay, some through filters, panning, eq, etc.
            You typically don't want to run the whole mix through everything though, so multiple outs are very useful. Plus, if you record them separately, you can still adjust the levels afterwards, or add some eq.

Comment

Hi everyone, first time poster. I've had BB for almost two years now. I am using it as an alternative for laptop+DAW for onstage playbacks. In this case, I am using different outputs for actual playbacks and also click track, which should only go to in-ear monitor channels, as opposed to FOH channels.

Comment

Hi,
                Sometimes i use te different outputs to send into my audio interface's differents IN, but sometimes i use them to make special installation with 6 differents speakers and i can send different sound wherever i want making something kinda "immersive".

Comment

Working...
                X