3/4 or other time signatures?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 3/4 or other time signatures?

Is there a way to set the time signature on a song or a sample/clip?

I've been experimenting with writing in non 4/4 signatures like 3/4 or 7/8 and would like to start building some tracks on the BB using loops created with other devices in these signatures.

Any ideas of how this can be achieved?

You can create sequence lengths from 1 step to 256. You can also set step length from 1/64 up to 8 bars. So there's really any combination of time signatures available. Each sequence can have a different setting too, so things can get weird! As an example, for 3/4 time, select a sequence and press Info, set that sequence to 9 steps (each step 1/16). Press Info again and set the Quant Size to 1/16. Now you can create a pattern in the sequencer that will playback in 3/4 time. Drop some hats on steps 1, 4 & 7 with a kick on 1 and snare on 7 for proof of concept.

For samples you'd have to edit the start and end points to fit within whatever time signature you like.

Comment

Song mode is only 4/4. So playback through a song will be a source of potential issues unless you have several odd time bars fitting into 4/4.

Sampling non-4/4 is convenient as long as the denominator is a quarter note (eg 3/4): after recording, you can set the number of beats (eg multiples of 3) and then with a sequence of desired length it will play as expected.
      If the denominator is not a quarter note, then the experience will be fiddly. Better then to record the full pattern (eg 4/4 instead of 7/8), set the beat count (eg 4 beats) and process the rest through a sequence of shorter desired length (eg 7 steps of 8). Multiples not necessarily possible in this workaround.

As for setting loop points manually, in the absence of beat grid snapping, this can be a hit and miss.

Comment

Could we change the signature in song mode, or at least have the possibility to match the length of the song part with the length of an odd sequence?

Comment

there is a feature request for this in the wishlist

Comment

I assume you are talking about "clips".
            The answers above seem to be referring to the sequencer (which is fairly easy to use non 4/4)

It's super hard to work with non 4/4 clips on the BB.
            And as far as I know in the song mode it's impossible.

The blackbox is not marketed as such, but it seems to be fairly limited to 4/4 music (or at least crippled when working non 4/4)
            This is evident in when you watch youtube videos on it where people are mostly making standard techno and house music with it.

There are a bunch of requests here on the forum for added time signature support.

Here is one I made a while back:

https://forum.1010music.com/forum/pr...ime-signatures

Maybe you can like and comment on that one to get it back to the top.

Comment

Originally posted by Kebap Benzin View Post
              I assume you are talking about "clips".
              The answers above seem to be referring to the sequencer (which is fairly easy to use non 4/4)

It's super hard to work with non 4/4 clips on the BB.
              And as far as I know in the song mode it's impossible.
              It is not impossible as long as you don’t play single instances of e.g. 3/4: you would need 4 bars of 3/4 to fit into 3 bars of 4/4. Limited but not impossible.

The rather confusing part is the internal click which emphasises every 4th beat, especially during pad recording - you can work around this limitation by recording a drum pattern or a click track first, embed it into a non-4/4 seq and then use that instead of the internal click.

Comment

Working...
              X