Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Recording a multi sample of a real instrument (Help!)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Recording a multi sample of a real instrument (Help!)

I watched a few videos today of people creating multi samples by recording synths using midi and ending up with a velocity sensitive instrument within the black box. I want to do this same thing but with real instruments (glockenspiel, pan pipes) and my first two attempts did not go well. I don’t understand how I’m supposed to record the different sounds on time, and I don’t know whether to record a full octave on low velocity and move my up? Or the other way round? Would it be a lot smarter to just record them into my DAW and chop them up? I’d love to be able to do it directly in the BB. Any advice would be appreciated. I’d love to do this with my piano too but I don’t want to waste loads of time recording just to realise it should be done a different way. Thanks!

Your suggested approach would work in bb, too:

* record your instrument into a long or short wave, as you like it
    * set the pad into slicer mode
    * perform and record or input slices into the sequencer, individually - adapt the length of each sequence accordingly
    * resample each sequence

Probably a tedious workflow, though the recording part seems easy enough vs note per note workflow.

Comment

Thanks for the reply! I haven’t done much resampling and definitely need to get a grasp on it.

I created a decent multi sample by recording individual notes and organising them into a folder, but I’m really curious about velocity layers. Is it possible to assign velocity layers within the file name? Eg C1.36, C1.127? Is there a specific way it needs to be labelled?

Comment

Such details should be covered in the manual (pages 52 and following).

A question you should ask yourself though is whether or not it is worth the hassle. The alternative would be to directly record your performance as a clip and focus on the music. You will still be able to slice the clip thereafter and do things within the bb :-)
        Last edited by Georges; 09-18-2022, 03:05 PM.

Comment

multisampling instruments that don't respond to midi is simple, it's just more tedious.

First: manually record single notes on the instrument. For example, if you wanted a glockenspiel multisample that contained the octave C1-C2, you would manually record one shots of C1, D1, E1, F1, G1, A1, B1, C2. Or, you could get every note in between. Or, you could just sample every third note (C1, D#1, F#1, A1, C2), etc etc.

Once you've recorded all of your one shots, load them up onto your computer. create a folder congruent with the blackbox multisampling protocol, and drop that onto your BB SD. Now you've got a multisampled Glockenspiel. Autosample on the blackbox aint gonna work so well with instruments that don't respond to midi

Comment

Working...
          X