Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Blackbox Questions

Wow! So this came out of nowhere for me! Great device! A few questions:

1 - I see this has a device input on it, so I presume you could sequence and record MIDI information into the Blackbox from a DAW?
    2 - Is there any MIDI over USB?
    3 - I can see in some of your pictures that there is a MIDI controller attached to Blackbox - I presume you can MIDI map CC messages to different parameters? Is this done over USB MIDI?

Thanks!

Originally posted by bitbin View Post
    1 - I see this has a device input on it, so I presume you could sequence and record MIDI information into the Blackbox from a DAW?
    2 - Is there any MIDI over USB?
    3 - I can see in some of your pictures that there is a MIDI controller attached to Blackbox - I presume you can MIDI map CC messages to different parameters? Is this done over USB MIDI?
    Blackbox is capable of hosting MIDI devices, like keyboards, pad controllers, fader banks, etc. It is not currently setup to be a device that you connect to a computer or DAW. The MIDI does happen over USB so you can connect a simple controller and be good to go. The initial version does support a few MIDI CC's, like volume, pan, and Mod Wheel.

Comment

Great looking device! Can this record and quantize incoming polyphonic midi while looping and transmit that midi back out? Basically, is it an mpc-style sequencer? Thanks!

Comment

Hi Aaron,
        So psyched to see this as I've been waiting for something similar to pop up. I just ordered (and I think I got the last one). Any idea when you'll put up a manual so I can study up before she arrives?
        Many thanks

Comment

Originally posted by Aaron View Post

Blackbox is capable of hosting MIDI devices, like keyboards, pad controllers, fader banks, etc. It is not currently setup to be a device that you connect to a computer or DAW. The MIDI does happen over USB so you can connect a simple controller and be good to go. The initial version does support a few MIDI CC's, like volume, pan, and Mod Wheel.
          Hello, very interested in this box. I'd like to know if USB host is able to send midi too, as I'd like to send midi clock and midi note information to an SQ-1. Cheers.

Comment

Originally posted by Quasimonastic View Post
            Hi Aaron,
            So psyched to see this as I've been waiting for something similar to pop up. I just ordered (and I think I got the last one). Any idea when you'll put up a manual so I can study up before she arrives?
            Many thanks
            Please give us until next week for the manual. In the meantime, please refer to the quick start guide and bitbox and toolbox manuals.

Comment

Originally posted by polysixer View Post

Hello, very interested in this box. I'd like to know if USB host is able to send midi too, as I'd like to send midi clock and midi note information to an SQ-1. Cheers.
            At present, the USB host only receives MIDI. If you want to connect to an SQ-1, the analog clock and regular MIDI output is an option.

Comment

Hi Aaron,
              is there also a way to sidechain one sample track based of the output of an other track?
              Use case here is to sidechain a bass track when the kick comes in.

Comment

Originally posted by Deathbody89 View Post
                is there also a way to sidechain one sample track based of the output of an other track?
                Use case here is to sidechain a bass track when the kick comes in.
                Sorry, this case is not currently supported.

Comment

How much polyphony for the keys? I am very interested and I would want to build up patches with samples like pads, thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by Intothegroove View Post
                    How much polyphony for the keys? I am very interested and I would want to build up patches with samples like pads, thanks.
                    Each pad using sample mode has 4 note polyphony. When using clip or slicer mode, there is two note polyphony.

Comment

Originally posted by Aaron View Post

Each pad using sample mode has 4 note polyphony. When using clip or slicer mode, there is two note polyphony.
                      Is there any possible way to have more polyphony than 4 notes? It would be really great to make a 8-16 note pad or even if using a piano sample. Thanks so much for answering my questions.

Comment

• Christine
                        Christine commented
                        Editing a comment
                        I'm going to let Aaron answer this one.

The Blackbox Quick Start Guide is now available on our website.

Comment

• Dan
                        Dan commented
                        Editing a comment
                        That first illustration with all of the arrows going everywhere is extremely confusing. The text does a good enough job of describing how it works! Maybe a flow chart would serve it better?

• Christine
                        Christine commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Dan - thanks for the feedback. I will remove the diagram.

Hello,
                      maybe this question is a little bit stupid, but is it possible to send all 16 sequence tracks via midi to 16 different devices (Hardware Synths) on different midi channels?
                      If this is possible, then the blackbox would be a really, really powerful sequencer.

Comment

• Dan
                        Dan commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Yes, each sequencer can have a different MIDI channel, same as toolbox..

• Christine
                        Christine commented
                        Editing a comment
                        As Dan said, you can map each sequence to a separate MIDI output. The device has one USB MIDI connection and one TRS MIDI Out connection that could be used for this.

Originally posted by Intothegroove View Post

Is there any possible way to have more polyphony than 4 notes? It would be really great to make a 8-16 note pad or even if using a piano sample. Thanks so much for answering my questions.
                      It's certainly possible. The limits are in place to help manage the overall workload of the box. We will keep you in mind as others also weigh in on this topic.

Comment

Working...
                      X