Version 1.0 feedback

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Version 1.0 feedback

An early release of the 1.0 firmware is now available.

Please share your thoughts, comments, and bug reports here.

Thank you very much.

Looks like the link to the file is broken ... ?!?

Comment

• oHeFFeSS
      oHeFFeSS commented
      Editing a comment
      I checked out the URL and figured out what the correct link is:

[link removed]

This is now fixed. My mistake. Thanks for finding it.

Comment

I'm really digging the new features! Especially Swing.. Been hangin' out for that one for ages!! Now we can get funky...

I've been using Ocenaudio to add markers to .wav files and they load up perfectly in the slicer now. That's going to save heaps of time.

The new FX bus structure is great. It's much easier to max out the processor now, though. There's always a trade off, haha!

Comment

I dig the new features, especially the back button reverting to the previous screen. Is swing per pad, sequence or global? It sounds like it's per pad/sequence selected but it could also be that some audio and sequences will inherently swing more than others.

I've noticed what may be a bug unless I'm doing something wrong. When sending MIDI note data from a sequence cell in Blackbox to a note cell on Toolbox, Toolbox will pull the note data for all active sequences in Blackbox regardless of MIDI channel settings. To have Toolbox record MIDI notes from a single sequence cell of Blackbox all but that sequence cell on Blackbox had to be deactivated. Maybe I am overlooking something but my MIDI channel settings made no difference as long as all cells on Blackbox were active.

Otherwise the new MIDI feature is pretty tight. I was trying to do exactly this yesterday but couldn't so it was nice to wake up and see it implemented. Here's a video of me using the MIDI from Blackbox to Toolbox to trigger the Lizard Oscillator. It's nice that Toolbox will copy the MIDI data and retain it after I delete the notes from Blackbox. That keeps that cell free to still sequence internal samples on.
        https://www.instagram.com/p/Bwe1gy9FXlE/

Comment

Swing is global: It affects the entire song.

Toolbox is operating in MIDI Omni mode for input. So, everything it receives will be captured and routed. It looks like we need to improve that.

Thanks for all the feedback, everyone.

Comment

I tried changing Blackbox from omni mode to the same MIDI channel the cell was on and that didn't work either. As of now the functionality is still there we just need to deactivate any cell we don't want to transmit MIDI data. It's not too big of a deal for me, I'm just happy it works at all.

Comment

Originally posted by Ferrum View Post
              I tried changing Blackbox from omni mode to the same MIDI channel the cell was on and that didn't work either. As of now the functionality is still there we just need to deactivate any cell we don't want to transmit MIDI data. It's not too big of a deal for me, I'm just happy it works at all.
              As an alternative you could also set the MIDI channel to NONE for the other sequences, but deactivating is probably faster.

Comment

I just posted an update to the user manual. It covers the changes to FX implementation, and addresses using MIDI Outputs for SEQs. It needs some updated screenshots. I hope to get to those next week. You can find the documentation here: https://1010music.com/blackboxdocs.
                Quick Start Guide The Blackbox v 1.0 Quick Start Guide provides a brief of overview of the features of blackbox to get you playing right away. User Manual Read through the basic functionality of blackbox followed by a deep dive into every little feature in the Blackbox User Guide 1.0. Firmware Blackbox owners can update …

Comment

I have been using the Arturia Keystep as an external controller connected via micro USB to the blackbox. Occassionally they keystep will stop sending information to the blackbox. The power doesn't seem to be interrupted but it stops sending information to the blackbox. If I unplug the keystep from the USB port on the blackbox and plug it back in again, the signal is restored. I'll try using a different cable and see if the same thing happens again.

Comment

Originally posted by oHeFFeSS View Post
                    I have been using the Arturia Keystep as an external controller connected via micro USB to the blackbox. Occassionally they keystep will stop sending information to the blackbox. The power doesn't seem to be interrupted but it stops sending information to the blackbox. If I unplug the keystep from the USB port on the blackbox and plug it back in again, the signal is restored. I'll try using a different cable and see if the same thing happens again.
                    Has this happened again? Did the cable fix it? We are wondering if we should take some time to test this. The keystep is a good device to pair with blackbox so we want to make sure it works well.

Comment

Originally posted by Christine View Post

Has this happened again? Did the cable fix it? We are wondering if we should take some time to test this. The keystep is a good device to pair with blackbox so we want to make sure it works well.
                      I tried it with multiple cables and the same result happened.

i was getting a lot of errors - I would pull up a pad to edit in the sample screen and while it was pulled up one of my sequence tracks would have extra notes... and the lights on the buttons would flash sometimes when I pressed they keystep keys.

What I believe could be the issue is I was starving the Blackbox of power... and that they keystep plus the Blackbox power consumption over usb is more than my mobile batter put out - though it’s supposedly rated at 2.1 amps.

To test this, I attempted to power they keystep with a barrel jack connector and connect via usb but the keystep would only send signal for the first few seconds then I would have to unplug and re plug it to get it to be recognized again by the Blackbox.

i have realized since that test that I had the keystep clock set to internal - I haven’t tried to do that same power choice and set it to “usb”.

i also haven’t tried it with a different power source.

This would be worth some testing by you but I want to be able to use those devices together so I’ll try again and let you know when I have a chance.

Id be interested to hear what the exact power requirements for the Blackbox are so I can be 100% sure.

Comment

Originally posted by oHeFFeSS View Post

I tried it with multiple cables and the same result happened.

i was getting a lot of errors - I would pull up a pad to edit in the sample screen and while it was pulled up one of my sequence tracks would have extra notes... and the lights on the buttons would flash sometimes when I pressed they keystep keys.

What I believe could be the issue is I was starving the Blackbox of power... and that they keystep plus the Blackbox power consumption over usb is more than my mobile batter put out - though it’s supposedly rated at 2.1 amps.

To test this, I attempted to power they keystep with a barrel jack connector and connect via usb but the keystep would only send signal for the first few seconds then I would have to unplug and re plug it to get it to be recognized again by the Blackbox.

i have realized since that test that I had the keystep clock set to internal - I haven’t tried to do that same power choice and set it to “usb”.

i also haven’t tried it with a different power source.

This would be worth some testing by you but I want to be able to use those devices together so I’ll try again and let you know when I have a chance.

Id be interested to hear what the exact power requirements for the Blackbox are so I can be 100% sure.
                        I power my Blackbox off an Anker USB hub connected to my computer and my Keystep is connected to the Blackbox. I haven't had any issues minus the mini USB connected to the Keystep coming loose if I move the Keystep. The Blackbox is responding to MIDI, starts, stops playing a sequence, I chopped a sample, mapped it to the keys per the instructions in the manual, played and sequenced the slices without issue. It may be something in your setup causing the issue. Have you tried powering the Blackbox using a wall adapter? I plug the USB jack into my iPhone wall adapter and it powers the Blackbox just fine.

Comment

We have seen issues with some controllers combined with low powered USB ports connected to blackbox. When using a controller, we recommend plugging the blackbox into wall power.

Comment

Originally posted by Aaron View Post
                            We have seen issues with some controllers combined with low powered USB ports connected to blackbox. When using a controller, we recommend plugging the blackbox into wall power.
                            I hear you, but I’m almost always running on battery power for everything - just need the right amount of amps right?

I have two complete rigs running 100% battery power right now that each have demands which far exceed the amount we are talking here.

How many amps of 5v usb power are needed to ensure no problems occur?

Comment

Working...
                            X