Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Some random questions (Volume/Panning/Midi controllers/Clicks 'n pops)...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Some random questions (Volume/Panning/Midi controllers/Clicks 'n pops)...

Hi,

I'm about to bite the bullet and buy one of these, but was hoping someone might be able to answer some questions on the functionality of this cool box...
    1. It's my understanding that you can control the volume of specific pads/cells via a MIDI controller. Do you have to have the "mix" screen visible on the Blackbox to control the volume of a particular pad, or will this control work from any screen once you map volume to the controller?
    2. If i'm using a midi controller like the MIDI Fighter Twister to control the black box, each knob has a push button and a twist to it. I don't have experience using midi, so I apologize if this is a dumb question, but could a knob's push button function be mapped to start/stop a pad's playback and the twist from it be mapped to control the volume of the same pad?
    3. I've read that when playing more than 4 or 6 longer stereo samples (~20min each), the unit can overload and start to make audible clicks and pops in the mix. Is this true? This worries me, as I had hoped to use it to play longer stereo samples. As a possible future feature suggestion, maybe display a % of processor power used somewhere so you'd know if playing another sample might overload the unit's processor. Or maybe include a toggle to turn on a "Safe Mode" that will prohibit you from playing more samples than the unit can handle.
    4. Is there a way to automate or modulate panning and volume of loops? It would be cool to have longer samples playing and be able to have this fade in and out automated at various points in the sample...
    5. Is it possible when you start playing a pad to have it start at zero volume until you manually fade the volume up in the mix?
    6. As an alternative to using the MIDI Fighter Twister with this, would it work to use two separate MIDI controllers on the Blackbox? Something like a 16n midi fader to control volume of all 16 samples, then a 2nd separate 16pad midi controller to start/stop playback of samples?
    Thanks for any info you can give me on these questions. This device seems like a really amazing instrument!
    Last edited by LarvaWorm; 06-06-2019, 06:29 AM.

Originally posted by LarvaWorm View Post
    [*]It's my understanding that you can control the volume of specific pads/cells via a MIDI controller. Do you have to have the "mix" screen visible on the Blackbox to control the volume of a particular pad, or will this control work from any screen once you map volume to the controller?
    Once you set up your preset to respond to MIDI Pan and Volume, it works regardless of the screen you are on.

[*]If i'm using a midi controller like the MIDI Fighter Twister to control the black box, each knob has a push button and a twist to it. I don't have experience using midi, so I apologize if this is a dumb question, but could a knob's push button function be mapped to start/stop a pad's playback and the twist from it be mapped to control the volume of the same pad?
    This will require some configuration using the MIDI Twister configuration program. It is possible

[*]I've read that when playing more than 4 or 6 longer stereo samples (~20min each), the unit can overload and start to make audible clicks and pops in the mix. Is this true? This worries me, as I had hoped to use it to play longer stereo samples. As a possible future feature suggestion, maybe display a % of processor power used somewhere so you'd know if playing another sample might overload the unit's processor. Or maybe include a toggle to turn on a "Safe Mode" that will prohibit you from playing more samples than the unit can handle.
    If you try to play more than 4-6 long samples at the same time, you can expect some degradation in the sound.

[*]Is there a way to automate or modulate panning and volume of loops? It would be cool to have longer samples playing and be able to have this fade in and out automated at various points in the sample...
    Not as of version 1.0.3

[*]Is it possible when you start playing a pad to have it start at zero volume until you manually fade the volume up in the mix?
    The MIDI volume is independent of notes starting. As long as you set the volume to 0 in the first place. Notes will be silent.

[*]As an alternative to using the MIDI Fighter Twister with this, would it work to use two separate MIDI controllers on the Blackbox? Something like a 16n midi fader to control volume of all 16 samples, then a 2nd separate 16pad midi controller to start/stop playback of samples?
    I haven't tried that one. I do have a MIDI Twister. Please know that blackbox relies on specific CC messages (volume and pan) and specific note numbers to play the pads. This generally means that you need a controller, like the MIDI Twister, that you can configure to use the relevant CCs.

Comment

If you try to play more than 4-6 long samples at the same time, you can expect some degradation in the sound.
      Thank you for taking the time to respond to my questions!
      When you say "long samples can degrade playback", can you be more specific about the sample length? I'm trying to set my expectations of what to expect. In relation to the Blackbox, What is your definition of long?
      I already use my SP404 to play a handful of 20min samples along with shorter ones without problems, but I really dislike the unit, so I was excited about the possibility of using this in place of it for playing various synth drones and field recordings.
      Could there be a possibility of future firmware optimizations to allow for more long samples to be played without degrading, or is it just a limitation of the processor?

Thanks again for the info!

Comment

By long, I mean 60 seconds or more.

Comment

Working...
        X