best pad controller for my BB

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• best pad controller for my BB

I'm looking to purchase a small affordable drum pad controller. do any of you have a favorite? right now im looking at the korg nano pad. Was really hoping to find one that has an arpeggiator / chromatic mode too.

We have a Korg NanoPAD that works nicely. I recommend the configuration utility and changing the layout so that the pads more closely match the screen. There is no arpeggiator, however.

Comment

I like the Atom Controller from Presonus. The pads feel great, does rolls, chromatic mode and is cheaply priced. I use Studio One as my DAW though so I get all the functionality in the box and a really great pad controller for the BB.

Comment

Originally posted by Ferrum View Post
        I like the Atom Controller from Presonus. The pads feel great, does rolls, chromatic mode and is cheaply priced. I use Studio One as my DAW though so I get all the functionality in the box and a really great pad controller for the BB.
        Thanks for the recommendation. I was a little hesitant to go with the Atom because some said the pads weren't sensitive enough, but it still sounds like a good buy and I'm not that picky about pad feel.

Comment

• Ferrum
          Ferrum commented
          Editing a comment
          Pad feel is up to each individual. To me they are a little "stiff" but they feel sturdy and durable so I like that. I think they are around the size of an MPC but I could be wrong as I sold my MPC Live almost a year ago. It's so cheap you can't really go wrong in my opinion but again, I sue Studio One as my DAW so I get the full functionality of the device when I hook it up to the computer so that's another reason it's a keeper for me.

Hey man, what capabilities does it have in standalone use? (without a computer)

Comment

• Ferrum
          Ferrum commented
          Editing a comment
          You get the drum pads, keys mode and note repeat which is a lovely feature. I can't run down the full list right now off the top of my head. I have not tried mapping all of the controls to MIDI CC for the BB so there's more to offer. You may want it to do a lot more than what it can do now but for the price, form factor and features it offers I like it but Studio One is my DAW so I get full functionality and intended use in the box. I have a Beatstep, Keystep, QuNexus as well that offer their own features and have their own place.

Ferrum thanks for the info... been eyein the Atom for a while and now that I’ve learned about a pretty major bug in the keystep’s firmware I’m in the market for another controller to use with the Blackbox.

can you use the atom’s pads to play chromatic notes - does it have a scale mode?

Comment

• Ferrum
          Ferrum commented
          Editing a comment
          Yes it has a scale mode to play keys on. The layout for the keys is similar to the keys layout on the Pioneer Squid.

I like the Atom Controller from Presonus.
        I am thinking I might pick up the Atom for studio use, can you tell me if the Black Box and Atom can run from a battery, I have a feeling the power consumption for all those LEDs will require more power than a battery can provide?

Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by Spectromat View Post
          I am thinking I might pick up the Atom for studio use, can you tell me if the Black Box and Atom can run from a battery, I have a feeling the power consumption for all those LEDs will require more power than a battery can provide?

Thanks
          yes. a battery pack will power them both.

Comment

Thanks, that's good to know.

Comment

Has anyone tried the Akai MPD218? According to Aaron the MPD226 doesn't power up.

Comment

The Akai MPD226 probably needs an external power supply to work properly. Also, the thing is huge and doesn't make much sense with the blackbox. The blackbox is smaller than the space used for the 4x4 grid of pads.

Comment

I use the MPD226 and it works like a dream most of the time. However that power issue does occour from time to time for me. I just turn the controller off and on a few times and it eventually works again. I love that is has an internal clock and tap tempo but I'm considering getting an atom or something else smaller after reading this forum a bit

Comment

Going to try my Kieth McMillen Quneo this week. I haven't used it with BB yet, but I have loved using it as part of my live and recording rigs.

Comment

Originally posted by Borgbilly View Post
                      Going to try my Kieth McMillen Quneo this week. I haven't used it with BB yet, but I have loved using it as part of my live and recording rigs.
                      Please let us know how it works out. I was thinking of picking one up myself. Can you map pads to specific midi channels on the QuNeo without the use of a computer? Or if you do have to use a computer to configure it, can you then disconnect it and it will save your settings and let you apply them to the BB? Thanks!

Comment

Has anyone here tested a QuNexus with this? I'm wondering if blackbox can deal with the QuNexus channel rotation feature per note.. so we can get each voice with it's own pitch bend for maximum expressive control of the samples etc..

Comment

Working...
                        X