No announcement yet.

best pad controller for my BB

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I use the Presonus Atom and it works very well with the blackbox.

Comment

Very pleased with the Presonus Atom.

Comment

Originally posted by Borgbilly View Post

The QuNeo works great. I have a bank mapped to the Pads and a second bank mapped to Sequences that behave like a LaunchPad. It's easy to navigate between the two banks, so you can get some sequences looping and then switch to pads and jam on top of the loops. I think it is a very good companion to the Black Box. You do have to have a computer to edit the settings, but it retains them in memory and plugs right up to the device port on the Black Box.
        Can`t seem to get my BB + Quneo to behave together.

Would you kindly share your Quneo presets?

Comment

• menuetbabel
          menuetbabel commented
          Editing a comment
          Anyone ? C'mooooooooooon

Hello, wanting to see how many folks have been using a QuNexus with their bb and if they've had success in mapping velocity/pressure/tilt to specific controllable parameters (say pitch or filter cutoff). I've been trying to set pressure using the 'CoMA' mode per KM but the bb doesn't seem to receive/recognize any messages when trying to learn the parameter. Not sure if my issue is a QuNexus or bb thing, so reaching out on both sides ATM.

Just for the sake of the thread, I can confirm that the QuNexus makes a great key controller for the bb. Excellent for both key control and button launching via the controller layer on the QuNexus. Feel like the ability to include the pressure and tilt would put it on another level.

Comment

I’m not really a midi guy but i guess there’s no harm in asking a stupid question. I want a controller that has pads for each sample and the possibility to map the volume to encoders of each sample. So naturally i’m thinking about a beatstep. Is this possible? Anyone tried it?

Comment

• Steve
            Steve commented
            Editing a comment
            beatstep works great. Novation LaunchControl XL is also an excellent option that offers what you are looking for.

Originally posted by adamon View Post
          Hello, wanting to see how many folks have been using a QuNexus with their bb and if they've had success in mapping velocity/pressure/tilt to specific controllable parameters (say pitch or filter cutoff). I've been trying to set pressure using the 'CoMA' mode per KM but the bb doesn't seem to receive/recognize any messages when trying to learn the parameter. Not sure if my issue is a QuNexus or bb thing, so reaching out on both sides ATM.

Just for the sake of the thread, I can confirm that the QuNexus makes a great key controller for the bb. Excellent for both key control and button launching via the controller layer on the QuNexus. Feel like the ability to include the pressure and tilt would put it on another level.
          I use a Bobpad with the Black Box and it works really well. I have mapped velocity and pitch and was experimenting with pressure too. I am not sure the BB can directly understand pressure but with the Bobpad you can assign a midi cc to pressure so with the midi learn function of the BB it will understand the pressure I am fairly sure. What you need to keep in mind is that if using the midi learn function the BB will use the first incoming midi signal so when mapping pressure I can only imagine it to work if pressure is the only thing mapped when learning the CC (for examplae if using velocity or pitch it will map these first the moment you use midi learn) I hope I can describe what I mean feels a bit clumsy my explanation. Anway you can then remap the other sources.

and clora I use a midi fighter twister for launching clips / pads and you could map volume to the rotary knobs. I didnt map the volume because.. cannot quite recall but I think the BB lacks soft-takeover or I simply didnt need to adjust the volume as I dont use this as a performance tool. either way it would be the perfect controller for you.

I use the midifighter twister as well as the bobpad fairly heavily as you can see here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IDLg37dPdWA

Much success!!

Comment

I use the BopPad and the SoftStep2 with my gear and love them both. If you want to map a MID CC to volume, map it - then turn the pad volume to -50dB. This will allow your controller to fully control volume.

Comment

Today I had a long day of experimenting with the midifighter twister and almost bricked it by flashing an old firmware thorough a faulty usb cable.. oh my days
              ​​​​​​
              anywah the reason for my undertaking was that the midifighter twister regularly crashed when using its inbuilt sequencer. I then tried to map it's rotary knobs to a set of parameters like pitch, volume, filter of the BB but this also keeps failing me occasionally. I didn't notice it before because the twister tends to shut down when using the rotary knobs and before I only used the push buttons to launch clips. I have a notion that the black box midi host is a bit low on voltage or the black box is slightly too underpowered to process the amount of incoming cc. If love to try it via a separate midi host and then go into the 5 pin midi of the BB but unfortunately I don't have one around atm. If anyone can tell me their experiences about the stability of their controllers I'd be most grateful. Cheers

Comment

• Steve
                Steve commented
                Editing a comment
                Power is, for sure, an important consideration. I do not have a MFT so I can't say about that one but some controllers require more power than the blackbox has to give.

I am very happy with the dual control setup I have. I use a Novation Launch Control XL for controlling BB parameters on the fly and launching clips/one shots. I use a Squarp Pyramid for sequencing pads, live pad playing, MIDI LFO's and automation. This setup gives me a ton of control over the BB and I can go from zero to "pretty dope jam" relatively quickly. The Squarp pads are not the best for finger drums, as they are not velocity sensitive but you do get live chord/note roll functions, piano roll, x0x and euclidean style sequencing plus MIDI FX and more.... Good trade for making techno. Hope this helps someone make a decision.

Comment

thanks for chiming in guys, much appreciated! Any stability issues with the launch control XL? Are you going via the USB Device in or all 5 pin midi? A launchpad mini mk3 is on my list and I will also get a kenton usb midi host to see if it makes the twister any more reliable. I really think its the power as the twister is rock solid on my daw (or maybe the twisters class compliant drivers are meeeh and my daw uses special ones, I am not sure) unfortunately the bb does not support usb hubs and thus a powered usb hub to support the twister is not an option

Comment

• chumpfesxt
                  chumpfesxt commented
                  Editing a comment
                  No issues as of yet, stays powered and all the lights are on. Although, TBF it has only been a few weeks using it. Setting it up was pretty straightforward, but I wish Novations template editor was a little better. I use the LCXL via USB input and the Pyramid goes thru 5-pin.

chumpfesxt thanks for letting me know! I can confirm that the issue is in the power supply. When turning down the LED brightness of the midifighter twister from 127 to around 75 for indicator and RGB LED then everything runs stable with the black box. I need to do further testing as the bottleneck arises when saving presets, but the twister sequencer now works like a charm with all steps and that had caused everything to crash in the past. So everybody with crashing USB midi devices, try turning down your LEDs. I hope this helps.

Comment

I will be adding the Novation Launchpad X to the BB on Wednesday. I used to have the Atom (before I got the BB) but that was a year ago or so and only for using it with S1 which I never did so I sold it. I liked the knobs, and overall it worked well, but the pads could have been more sensitive.

The reason for getting the Novation instead was simply because it's easier to configure and the sensitivity of the pads is supposed to be slightly better. Will report back how it works.

Comment

If you notice issues using the usb host function of the BB, try a short high quality usb cable for your usb midi device. I had problems with my Akai MPD 225 running on BB and with the Deluge to. Replacing the included cable of the Akai with a short one did the job for me. I had to try several ones from my cable box and I'm still looking for a cable that is that good as the included one, from the BB. The BB USB-Cable is the only one, that works well to update my Helix HX Stomp pedal.The DJ Techtools Chroma USB Cable isn't that good, but works for running the BB alone from a XTAR PowerBank for mobile use.

Comment

Does it works with the BCR 2000 ?

Comment

Thanks for the details. I was able to confirm that my issues were on the qunexus side of things (had some settings I didn’t know about turned off on my custom preset). The “coma” mode on the qunexus allows for an independent message to be sent in behalf of velocity, pressure, or tilt. I’ve got pressure and tilt squirming away now in the bb =)

Originally posted by Painting Silence View Post

I use a Bobpad with the Black Box and it works really well. I have mapped velocity and pitch and was experimenting with pressure too. I am not sure the BB can directly understand pressure but with the Bobpad you can assign a midi cc to pressure so with the midi learn function of the BB it will understand the pressure I am fairly sure. What you need to keep in mind is that if using the midi learn function the BB will use the first incoming midi signal so when mapping pressure I can only imagine it to work if pressure is the only thing mapped when learning the CC (for examplae if using velocity or pitch it will map these first the moment you use midi learn) I hope I can describe what I mean feels a bit clumsy my explanation. Anway you can then remap the other sources.

and clora I use a midi fighter twister for launching clips / pads and you could map volume to the rotary knobs. I didnt map the volume because.. cannot quite recall but I think the BB lacks soft-takeover or I simply didnt need to adjust the volume as I dont use this as a performance tool. either way it would be the perfect controller for you.

I use the midifighter twister as well as the bobpad fairly heavily as you can see here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IDLg37dPdWA

Much success!!

Comment

Working...
                        X