Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What's your main use case for the blackbox ? Sample module or main sequencer, other ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What's your main use case for the blackbox ? Sample module or main sequencer, other ?

I'm a bit torn on what I want from the blackbox.
    Initially bought as a sample module, specially cause of fast, big filestorage, slicing, single outs.
    But i also really love the sequencing workflow for standalone use and use with external gear.
    But having other gear for sequencing my main focus is on its sampling capabilities.
    Would be interesting to know how you others use the BB.

My main reason for purchasing my BB was the sampling. I work in a dawless environment in my home studio and samplers have never clicked with me, I've had all sorts over the years from all the big names. I saw some videos of the BB and was sold. The sequencer was an excellent bonus.

Most of what I've used the BB for was on a recent holiday so I paired it with a Novation Circuit and took a couple of synths too.

It worked really well and integrated perfectly. This was before 1.1.1 so the MIDI was trickier to use than it will be henceforth.

I'm looking forward to finding new ways to use the BB.

John

Comment

I'm mostly interested in having it as my go-to DAW replacement. A black box where I can record tracks, cut sections, and remix accordingly. The end goal is to be able to have a decent mix out of different recordings. I'm sure the Blackbox isn't designed around this premise, but my instinct says it can be used and abused to this direction.

The ability to resample was a huge improvement forward, although I wouldn't mind having the ability to combine samples with fade-ins. I don't expect too much, just some basic functions to be able to do this. The UI is perfect.

Comment

I purchased the Black Box in hopes of eliminating the laptop in my live performance rig. I like to create long, morphing stereo drones that are a base for other rhythmic and melodic elements to sit upon. So far it has gone a long way in reducing my dependency (and cpu load) on my laptop, but it has also introduced me to a new and interesting workflow. I'm still finding my way with it, but I can foresee a time where I can leave the computer at home. And that day can't get here fast enough.

So my answer is it is primarily a sample player, looper in my current rig. If the MIDI sequencer were a bit more flexible, I would shift more duty onto the Black Box, but for now it is making me happy doing it's sampling/looping duties.

Comment

Originally posted by Borgbilly View Post
          I purchased the Black Box in hopes of eliminating the laptop in my live performance rig. I like to create long, morphing stereo drones that are a base for other rhythmic and melodic elements to sit upon. So far it has gone a long way in reducing my dependency (and cpu load) on my laptop, but it has also introduced me to a new and interesting workflow. I'm still finding my way with it, but I can foresee a time where I can leave the computer at home. And that day can't get here fast enough.

So my answer is it is primarily a sample player, looper in my current rig. If the MIDI sequencer were a bit more flexible, I would shift more duty onto the Black Box, but for now it is making me happy doing it's sampling/looping duties.
          I make my living primarily as a DJ, and I love the idea of having a dedicated sampler for on the fly finger drumming or re-sampling ideas. It's much more capable than I expected, but the multiple outs and midi flexibility are a DREAM COME TRUE

Comment

Originally posted by John Wellington-Wells View Post
            My main reason for purchasing my BB was the sampling. I work in a dawless environment in my home studio and samplers have never clicked with me, I've had all sorts over the years from all the big names. I saw some videos of the BB and was sold. The sequencer was an excellent bonus.

Most of what I've used the BB for was on a recent holiday so I paired it with a Novation Circuit and took a couple of synths too.

It worked really well and integrated perfectly. This was before 1.1.1 so the MIDI was trickier to use than it will be henceforth.

I'm looking forward to finding new ways to use the BB.

John
            John,

Curious as to how you are using the Circuit with the BB? I am just getting started and would like to use the BB as the main clock for my Circuit and OP-Z.

Thanks,
            Anthony

Comment

Working...
            X