Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What's your main use case for the blackbox ? Sample module or main sequencer, other ?

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • What's your main use case for the blackbox ? Sample module or main sequencer, other ?

    I'm a bit torn on what I want from the blackbox.
    Initially bought as a sample module, specially cause of fast, big filestorage, slicing, single outs.
    But i also really love the sequencing workflow for standalone use and use with external gear.
    But having other gear for sequencing my main focus is on its sampling capabilities.
    Would be interesting to know how you others use the BB.

  • #2
    My main reason for purchasing my BB was the sampling. I work in a dawless environment in my home studio and samplers have never clicked with me, I've had all sorts over the years from all the big names. I saw some videos of the BB and was sold. The sequencer was an excellent bonus.

    Most of what I've used the BB for was on a recent holiday so I paired it with a Novation Circuit and took a couple of synths too.

    It worked really well and integrated perfectly. This was before 1.1.1 so the MIDI was trickier to use than it will be henceforth.

    I'm looking forward to finding new ways to use the BB.

    John

    Comment


    • #3
      I'm mostly interested in having it as my go-to DAW replacement. A black box where I can record tracks, cut sections, and remix accordingly. The end goal is to be able to have a decent mix out of different recordings. I'm sure the Blackbox isn't designed around this premise, but my instinct says it can be used and abused to this direction.

      The ability to resample was a huge improvement forward, although I wouldn't mind having the ability to combine samples with fade-ins. I don't expect too much, just some basic functions to be able to do this. The UI is perfect.

      Comment


      • #4
        I purchased the Black Box in hopes of eliminating the laptop in my live performance rig. I like to create long, morphing stereo drones that are a base for other rhythmic and melodic elements to sit upon. So far it has gone a long way in reducing my dependency (and cpu load) on my laptop, but it has also introduced me to a new and interesting workflow. I'm still finding my way with it, but I can foresee a time where I can leave the computer at home. And that day can't get here fast enough.

        So my answer is it is primarily a sample player, looper in my current rig. If the MIDI sequencer were a bit more flexible, I would shift more duty onto the Black Box, but for now it is making me happy doing it's sampling/looping duties.

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by Borgbilly View Post
          I purchased the Black Box in hopes of eliminating the laptop in my live performance rig. I like to create long, morphing stereo drones that are a base for other rhythmic and melodic elements to sit upon. So far it has gone a long way in reducing my dependency (and cpu load) on my laptop, but it has also introduced me to a new and interesting workflow. I'm still finding my way with it, but I can foresee a time where I can leave the computer at home. And that day can't get here fast enough.

          So my answer is it is primarily a sample player, looper in my current rig. If the MIDI sequencer were a bit more flexible, I would shift more duty onto the Black Box, but for now it is making me happy doing it's sampling/looping duties.
          I make my living primarily as a DJ, and I love the idea of having a dedicated sampler for on the fly finger drumming or re-sampling ideas. It's much more capable than I expected, but the multiple outs and midi flexibility are a DREAM COME TRUE

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by John Wellington-Wells View Post
            My main reason for purchasing my BB was the sampling. I work in a dawless environment in my home studio and samplers have never clicked with me, I've had all sorts over the years from all the big names. I saw some videos of the BB and was sold. The sequencer was an excellent bonus.

            Most of what I've used the BB for was on a recent holiday so I paired it with a Novation Circuit and took a couple of synths too.

            It worked really well and integrated perfectly. This was before 1.1.1 so the MIDI was trickier to use than it will be henceforth.

            I'm looking forward to finding new ways to use the BB.

            John
            John,

            Curious as to how you are using the Circuit with the BB? I am just getting started and would like to use the BB as the main clock for my Circuit and OP-Z.

            Thanks,
            Anthony

            Comment


            • #7
              I use the blackbox as a sampler (drums) and slicer (remix, mashup stuff) as part of a larger rig, driven by external custom midi looper sequencer.

              I’d tried a bunch of different samplers of the years, and they all did individual things okay, but finding something compact that did oneshot, slicing, and time stretching was pretty tough. Used a SP404 for a while, but it’s midi jitter problems and sample bank limitations were beyond painful. Digitakt was too limited (no slicing or time stretch — also too integrated with its own sequencer).

              I’m still having some issues with the blackbox (for example the timestrerch “clip” function is still a bit too limited, I’d love to see the ability to apply the time stretch to the slicer), and midi CC control is a bit limited, and there’s not enough control over routing to the 6 outputs (3xLR) (be great if they could be used as sends). I’m really hoping this stuff gets added and addressed in the future, but it is already a great little machine!

              Comment


              • #8
                Despite its functionality, I feel like hooking up the BB to other devices defeats its appeal for me; an all-in-one sample studio. Once you rope it into sequencing external devices, etc., it may as well be as big as an MPC X.

                Just my 2¢

                Comment


                • Zapman
                  Zapman commented
                  Editing a comment
                  That's exactly how i see it. To make it a center piece, it still needs some extended support for externally controlling it for a quicker workflow or live use.

              • #9
                I'm totally looking at this machine mainly as a sampler/sequencer, a powerful one, but still a sampler/sequencer;
                i understand (and respect) the appeal of an all-in-one box, but seriously i think we can get way much more from this little machine if we don't ask her to do all the work alone.

                Comment


                • #10
                  Originally posted by asantarosa View Post

                  John,

                  Curious as to how you are using the Circuit with the BB? I am just getting started and would like to use the BB as the main clock for my Circuit and OP-Z.

                  Thanks,
                  Anthony
                  Hi

                  So far I've used the circuit as master which works fine. The only issue being that you can't start recording on the bb over MIDI. Hoping that may change in an update.

                  The circuit and the bb sound great together.

                  John

                  Comment


                  • #11
                    Bought the BB being a) tired of DAWs (on mobile gear as well as desktop ones, have 'em all literally), and b) hopefull of having all-in-one production piece (of course, sampling of other gear's outputs, so, not completely all-in-one). Still in the mail, but checking the mail carrier every other minute ))

                    Comment


                    • #12
                      Liking the Blackbox for centerpiece and 80% of the process. I also need some knob turning on something like a TB-03 and something synced but live capable like OP1 or Microfreak. Each for more tactile variety on the theme. Side note: I have been feeding midi to the TB-03 and also putting a minimal sequence on the TB03. The two sequences seem to fight for time with interesting results.

                      Comment


                      • #13
                        Mainly as a sampler for sure. The sequencer is a great 'bonus' feature for making portable sketches, but I'd rather see the emphasis of development inclined towards the sampling/sound module side to get it solid and robust and reliable...partly because i feel like it will always be limited as a full fledged sequencer (um, and I use a cirklon for dawless sequencing duties =), and also because in use so far, it seems like there is a limited amount of cpu/processing power, and my vote is to allocate that and code resources to refining the sampling/sound engine capabilities.

                        Comment


                        • #14
                          I got this b/c I wanted to be able to make music anywhere and it's perfect for that. The live sampling is def cool, but I mostly use samples I load on and record into sequences. I've been walking around New York, sitting in the museum, on the train, etc. and just making music. I can bust it out any time and make tracks super easily. I am hoping to be able to use it live too b/c tbh it's super fun to pick up and play like an instrument and I just wanna jam out on stage with it lol. Gonna wait a few updates before I do that though to see if they add a global fx page or something like that that's conducive to live performances. IMO the BB could easily overthrow sp404s and the like if they wanted to, so we'll see.

                          Comment


                          • #15
                            I use Blackbox in a studio setting, and also as a mobile device. It's great that I can sketch out a simple beat while I'm on my lunch break, on the bus, or waiting at an appointment.


                            I then take that beat back to the studio, re-create the sequence on Squarp Pyramid, and further develop. Blackbox has been an amazing creative tool. Especially in conjunction with Squarp Pyramid, Yamaha MODX, and the Elektron boxes: Digitakt, and Digitone.
                            Last edited by jdg179; 09-08-2019, 07:43 AM.

                            Comment

                            Working...
                            X