Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is there a MIDI Implementation Chart?

What CC messages does BB respond to?

Wanted to map a controller and noticed there doesn't seem to be a chart to look at.. is it in development?

Would be great if we could map out mute, filter, start, end, pitch, etc.. so that they automatically target the currently selected pad or channel.

Thanks!

Also would like this.

Comment

Guys - They haven't yet implemented controls for most of the settings within the box... an implementation chart right now would be very short (velocity, pan, pitch bend, mod wheel plus the notes for each pad and sequence toggle/activate while in omni channel mode).

Comment

Also would like this.

Are there MIDI CC's for effect send?

Comment

Originally posted by oHeFFeSS View Post
          Guys - They haven't yet implemented controls for most of the settings within the box... an implementation chart right now would be very short (velocity, pan, pitch bend, mod wheel plus the notes for each pad and sequence toggle/activate while in omni channel mode).
          I am using blackbox for about a week and the 3 things that are missing for me that would make me forget all my other sampling gear are the following:
          1) Velocity editing and group note editing
          2) Duplication of measures
          3) More modulation sources (cc or lfos) and modulation destinations (filter cutoff, ADSR, fx parameters, sample start etc.)

Especially the modulation part i think is unfinished.
          Are there any plans for this to be updated. I think the parameters mentioned above (filter cutoff, ADSR, fx parameters, sample start etc.) are completely basic and default for a sampler. Is there a cpu issue for them to have included in the1st firmware from the release of blackbox.
          I think I should also post this to the feature request thread.

Cheers
          Kyros

edit: I just realised that modulation is available for the start length loop start and loop length parameters!! Nice!!
          Last edited by kraftf; 09-29-2019, 06:39 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by kraftf View Post

I am using blackbox for about a week and the 3 things that are missing for me that would make me forget all my other sampling gear are the following:
            1) Velocity editing and group note editing
            Velocity editing is really needed.

Originally posted by kraftf View Post
            edit: I just realised that modulation is available for the start length loop start and loop length parameters!! Nice!!
            I've not noticed this. Where is this modulation?

Latest releases by My Blue Extremes.
            listen on all streaming platforms.

Bandcamp
            https://myblueextremes.bandcamp.com/album/the-winter-ghost

Streaming
            https://distrokid.com/hyperfollow/my...AItZJ5KNfs9wf8

Comment

Originally posted by Jack Pimiento View Post
              Velocity editing is really needed.

I've not noticed this. Where is this modulation?
              please have a look at the attachment
              Attached Files
              Last edited by kraftf; 09-30-2019, 04:17 PM. Reason: modulation point

Comment

Thanks. Not entirely sure how I missed that!
                Latest releases by My Blue Extremes.
                listen on all streaming platforms.

Bandcamp
                https://myblueextremes.bandcamp.com/album/the-winter-ghost

Streaming
                https://distrokid.com/hyperfollow/my...AItZJ5KNfs9wf8

Comment

Originally posted by Jack Pimiento View Post
                  Thanks. Not entirely sure how I missed that!
                  I missed that too!!!
                  Anyway I think the modulation system in BB is very limited and I hope there is a plan to be updated from the developers. Seems like an unfinished product and at the same time fabulous !!!!

Comment

I would like to resurrect this thread.

I'm setting up to use it with the squarp pyramid , but I'm caught in a catch-22 in that both machines assume you already have MIDI CC's selected... Blackbox wants to learn new controllers, and the Pyramid wants you to assign known controller values.

I'm left with just picking some that work, but I'm super paranoid about accidently doubling up or "crossing streams" with internal settings.

Comment

Originally posted by oHeFFeSS View Post
                      So I just want to point out that this post is from 2019 and that's enough time for a lot of this stuff to get documented! :-)

Myself, I'm finding things out the hard way. I'm trying to set up a faderfox EC4 to make control easier, and am just praying that nothing is being used in the 70-90 range.

(And FWIW: I have searched the manual for "midi implementation" and "implementation" alone and don't get any hits.)
                      Last edited by industrialist; 04-21-2022, 03:47 PM.

Comment

Blackbox doesn't have a MIDI implementation chart because it uses assignable CCs. There are a number of advantages compared to the fixed 1:1 mapping you typically see in an implementation chart:
                        • You can configure the blackbox to respond to your existing controller without changing the CCs your controller uses
                        • You can map one CC to multiple destinations
                        • Each destination can have up to 3 modulation sources
                        • You can choose the offset and range of the CC. For example, use the full throw of a knob to control a subset of a particular control
                        Granted, not all parameters are available as CC destinations--but most of the important ones are. Look for the three small squares in the interface. In the 2.0 interface, you can touch the onscreen knob and press the INFO button to get to the modulation screen. If you need more details, please consult the extensive user guide.

Comment

Originally posted by Aaron View Post
                          Blackbox doesn't have a MIDI implementation chart because it uses assignable CCs. There are a number of advantages compared to the fixed 1:1 mapping you typically see in an implementation chart:
                          • You can configure the blackbox to respond to your existing controller without changing the CCs your controller uses
                          • You can map one CC to multiple destinations
                          • Each destination can have up to 3 modulation sources
                          • You can choose the offset and range of the CC. For example, use the full throw of a knob to control a subset of a particular control
                          Granted, not all parameters are available as CC destinations--but most of the important ones are. Look for the three small squares in the interface. In the 2.0 interface, you can touch the onscreen knob and press the INFO button to get to the modulation screen. If you need more details, please consult the extensive user guide.
                          Aaron,

So there was no effort to deconflict with the MIDI CC standard? https://www.midi.org/specifications-...s-data-bytes-2

Part of why I have brought this up a couple times is that I'd like to know which of the 127 MIDI CC possibilities are safe for me to set up when controlling the blackbox. If I'm interpreting you correctly here, I should be able to assign filter cutoff to 0x00 and NOT expect the blackbox to respond to a PC message, right? Or I've seen MPAN when dealing with accidental CC assignments yesterday as I was assigning controllers. Is it the case that CC 10 isn't reserved or is it?

Comment

• industrialist
                            industrialist commented
                            Editing a comment
                            well, after just testing that out (assigning MIDI CC #00 to cutoff, I can at least attest that indeed, there appears to be no bank select happening.)

If you'd like Aaron, I'd be willing to write up a page in the manual explaining all this. I can't be the only engineer type that genuinely feels better when having at least something that LOOKS like a specification!

Thanks for asking about conflicts. I believe the only CC that is hard coded is 64 decimal--the sustain pedal. All the others are fair game if memory serves correctly.

Comment

Has anyone written a preset for the EN16 yet? Just about to do one and thought I would check!

Comment

Working...
                            X