Blackbox 1.3 Discussion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Blackbox 1.3 Discussion

Please post your feedback on version 1.3 below. Here is the link to the download:
    https://forum.1010music.com/forum/ta...ckbox-1-3-beta

The User Guide has been updated with the new features through version 1.3. You can find the latest version on the Blackbox Documentation and Downloads page.
    If you have a feature request that doesn't directly relate to version 1.3, please create a new wishlist topic. We will be more likely to find it and eventually implement it

Thank you all.
    Last edited by Christine; 11-06-2019, 08:28 PM. Reason: added link to the updated user guide.

Awesome!!!!!!!!

Comment

Thank you very much for this grandious Update.
      .........…...………...…………………………….. ....................Please make also the same for the Akai MPK mini mkII to run in sync …………………...……...…...……………...…............……...…...… ………………….

Comment

I am either tired, and should go to sleep, or is something funny going on with clip mode?

Comment

Wow, you had dropped major hints that CC control was coming but this update blew me away. Amazing work, can't wait to try this stuff out.

Update: Is anyone able to get MIDI CC to work? I go into an automation slot, hit Learn, move a control on my controller and I see CC appear on the BB at 100% as if it worked, but when I exit this screen to try it out, the BB does not respond to using the control I just mapped. The mapping is still there, and I can remove it and re-learn, but nothing helps. I've tried 2 different controllers over USB host port and the midi input.

Update 2: I did not realize that midi controlling the parameters didn't actually affect the base values displayed on the screen, only added or subtracted to them. I would have realized this sooner had I plugged in my headphones instead of deaf testing!
          Last edited by vegeta897; 10-17-2019, 09:45 PM.

Comment

• Aaron
            Aaron commented
            Editing a comment
            What control did you try? We tested filter and the effects lots of different ways.

Here are some more detailed release notes:
          https://1010music.com/wp-content/upl...esae-Notes.pdf

Please be aware that you will hear the impact of the MIDI cc control, but you won't see any change beyond the Modulation source name.

Comment

Thanks for the midi learning. I’m quite curious about multi sampling : very cool idea, it could be very interesting

Comment

Originally posted by Christine View Post
              Here are some more detailed release notes:
              https://1010music.com/wp-content/upl...esae-Notes.pdf

Please be aware that you will hear the impact of the MIDI cc control, but you won't see any change beyond the Modulation source name.
              Can we record the automation?
              or we have to resample the modulation?

Comment

• Christine
                Christine commented
                Editing a comment
                There is no automation of modulation at this time.

Thanks! I did not expect an update so fast.
              I like your interaction with the users, that makes a huge difference compared to larger manufactures.

Are you sure it is the right file? Still shows 1.2.2 after update and nothing changed.
              Last edited by chrislux; 10-18-2019, 01:47 AM.

Comment

• Zapman
                Zapman commented
                Editing a comment
                Did you hold BACK and INFO on booting after placing the new BLACKBOX.bin on the card ?

You did it again! Thank you so much for providing these new creative possibilities to an already incredible box.
              Thanks to Christine for providing the details in the release notes.

I gave the new features a quick try, here are my findings:

Multisampling:
              I first thought Load All loads the currently selected directory in the browser, but quickly learned, you have to go into the directory and then use Load All.
              Works nicely.
              4 voice poly still applies.
              If you load too many samples with that, you will get "Sample Slots are all full" when trying to access another sample, no matter what pad (however sampling/resampling still works to add samples )
              The keys/slots will map to the absolute path of the sample on the SD card, so if you modify the folder contents on hte card (e.g. add samples), it will have no effect.

However: Saving the root note with the sample on the BB did not work for me, so i could not test the key mapping

Midi CC:
              Midi Learn function works great.
              The routing is not related to MIDI channel, so does not follow any of the BBs (auto) midi routing as notes do.
              So, if you assign CC 49 to filter of pad 1 and want pad2 to have independent filter control you have to set it to e.g. CC 50, no matter if on other midi channel or not.
              @alemass: It's not recorded into sequences

Comment

The scaling of the CC in relation to the values being controlled is not immediately evident.
                Let's say I want to control the volume so that when I set the CC knob to 0, the volume is -96db (Blackbox minimum). And when I turn the knob up CW, I want the level to be at 0db. How do I go about this? Judging by the release notes, I would have to calculate the percentage of CC control that would need to be applied to the volume parameter in order to, as closely as possible, hit 0 db when I'm sending a CC value of 127... Or am I in the weeds here?

Comment

Perfect timing! I said I'd instantly buy one if MIDI CC's would be implemented... well, it should be arriving today , if UPS doesn't mess up again.

Comment

Happy tested 1.3 ! with only 8 sounds in the upgraded BB..connected a impact drumbrute control mute/play seq, assigned midi cc to a tb-03 for some midi control pitch, Fx , filters and played a 1 hour session i could only dream of doing this live in such a compact setup ..°NO1 live performance machine from now on ! -- after years struggling, changing so much gear from other manufactures most with complex learning curves and heavy/big to take on the road(airports..), they use mono samples, crashes, little sample memory and ...on stage most are unable to switch set fast ... big respect to 1010 for making this! Thank You its great.
                    Last edited by monoman; 10-19-2019, 05:10 AM.

Comment

Thanks for the upgrade
                      Has anyone tried to use the knobs of the beatstep to control the black box through midi cc? Doesn't seem to work..

Comment

Originally posted by Josker View Post
                        The scaling of the CC in relation to the values being controlled is not immediately evident.
                        Let's say I want to control the volume so that when I set the CC knob to 0, the volume is -96db (Blackbox minimum). And when I turn the knob up CW, I want the level to be at 0db. How do I go about this? Judging by the release notes, I would have to calculate the percentage of CC control that would need to be applied to the volume parameter in order to, as closely as possible, hit 0 db when I'm sending a CC value of 127... Or am I in the weeds here?
                        I think, if you set volume to the lowest possible value and the CC amount to 100% it should reach the +12dB when CC value is 127.
                        So, your right, you have to guess/tryout how many % would equal 0dB. For other parameters, it will maybe easier, or in case of beatsynced delay time even harder to set up,
                        But I actually like the way it is now, it feels more explorative.

Comment

Working...
                        X