No announcement yet.

Blackbox 1.3 Discussion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

BLACKBOX.BIN is the firmware file and does not get unzipped further after you've already extracted it. It gets put on to the root of the SD card and is installed by doing the update procedure (hold info+back while powering on)
    The firmware file doesn't contain any of the presets. You can get a copy of the factory content here: https://forum.1010music.com/forum/ta...content-bundle

Comment

Program changes are very moody in this version 1.3.0 , sometimes they work, sometimes they don't.
      I don't know if they were working in previous version as 1.3.0 was where I started.
      Presumably when they do work it will follow this logic -
      Preset1 will be PGM change 1
      Preset2 will be PGM change 2 etc?

Comment

Originally posted by larrelli View Post
        God, I hate doing this. It's embarrassing to be a complete idiot in public. It's bad enough to have to contact tech support, but there is no tech support, only a forum. I'm obviously doing something very wrong but...no option but to get help where I can find it. This is mortifying. Have mercy. I'm 71 f***ing years old! Here goes:

I just opened my Blackbox and found no presets at all. There IS data on the microSD; when I'm in PADS mode and touch info/load, a bunch of samples are displayed. But pushing PSET shows no files at all. So I check the manual. It says, "If you want to reset one or more of the blackbox presets to the original factory settings, you can copy individual preset files onto your microSD card."
        and it tells me to go to this site and download the firmware. So I download 1.3. It's a zipped file named "BLACKBOX.BIN". I double click it and another zipped file named "BLACKBOX.BIN.cpgz" appears, but nothing actually opens. WTF!?! This is weird. I thought MACs opened ZIP files automatically but this is a BIN file. Hmm... I'm using OS10.11.6. So I look at a couple of 2016 Youtube videos that suggest using "Extractor" available from the app store. So I get it, open it, drag my BLACKBOX.BIN file to it. It opens as, "BLACKBOX.BIN.cpgz". Same result. I'm pretty sure I read in the manual that Blackbox can't open anything but a .wav file, but just to be sure I insert the microSD card in the Blackbox. It does not appear in the PADS/info/load window.

I don't have any presets in my Blackbox. The zipped BIN file won't open on my MAC. I'm feeling stupid. Help.
        Vegeta897 has the correct answer:
        BLACKBOX.BIN is the firmware file and does not get unzipped further after you've already extracted it. It gets put on to the root of the SD card and is installed by doing the update procedure (hold info+back while powering on)
        The firmware file doesn't contain any of the presets. You can get a copy of the factory content here: https://forum.1010music.com/forum/ta...content-bundle

I'm repeating Vegeta897's response here with the quote so it will increase the chances that Iarerrelli will find the response. :-)

Iarelli, this is a very friendly forum. All level of questions are welcome. It sounds like you got a bad microSD card. I'm sorry about that. Let us know if you need more help.

Comment

I've noticed if you slice something into a number of slices, put the slice seq on fwd,bak or ran , if you have put the slice up tight right before the transient Blackbox is missing the transient off the beginning a lot of the time, so on percussion you the lose the attack part of the sound, hope this can get fixed?

Comment

Originally posted by simon harris View Post
            I've noticed if you slice something into a number of slices, put the slice seq on fwd,bak or ran , if you have put the slice up tight right before the transient Blackbox is missing the transient off the beginning a lot of the time, so on percussion you the lose the attack part of the sound, hope this can get fixed?
            I experienced the same. Answer from Aaron here:
            https://forum.1010music.com/forum/pr...-slice-markers

Comment

Hi All,

I have posted a draft of the updated blackbox user manual here: https://1010music.com/wp-content/upl...Manualv1.3.pdf . I still need to update most of the screenshots, but the text has been updated to reflect the new functionality. Please check it out. Let me know if there is something that needs to be added or clarified.

THIS IS A DRAFT. I will get the final out to you as soon as I can.

Enjoy,
              Christine

Comment

• Michael Wrede
                Michael Wrede commented
                Editing a comment
                Good job, thx. That will be helpful.

Wondering how to properly key map multi-samples... Or if this feature is implemented fully yet? I've sampled my synth to corresponding root notes for blackbox and saved the wavs to a folder in the symplesounds file, this resulted in samples playing sequentially up from C2 without pitching to the root notes. I then went through each sample and saved them individually through the blackbox with a rootnote specified in the misc page as outlined in the Draft maual, failing this I reverse engineered one of the .XML files in the SympleSoundBundle archive to follow the filepath of my soundset to see if this would do the trick, still got nothing.

I do love the demo sounds provided BTW, very useful! I would just like to be able to make my own Thicc mellotron style Pads too.

Comment

Originally posted by somesounds View Post
                Wondering how to properly key map multi-samples... Or if this feature is implemented fully yet? I've sampled my synth to corresponding root notes for blackbox and saved the wavs to a folder in the symplesounds file, this resulted in samples playing sequentially up from C2 without pitching to the root notes. I then went through each sample and saved them individually through the blackbox with a rootnote specified in the misc page as outlined in the Draft maual, failing this I reverse engineered one of the .XML files in the SympleSoundBundle archive to follow the filepath of my soundset to see if this would do the trick, still got nothing.

I do love the demo sounds provided BTW, very useful! I would just like to be able to make my own Thicc mellotron style Pads too.
                I think it's a bug, that the root note is not saved. Some people reported here already:
                https://forum.1010music.com/forum/pr...save-root-note

Comment

• Christine
                  Christine commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I have confirmed the Root Note not saving as a bug. It has been logged and we hope to fix it soon.

I played two live shows with the 1.3 beta and everything was rock solid. The only thing that's really missing to my work flow is the ability to midi map the reverb and delay sends. I really hope this won't be too difficult to implement in one of the next updates. Fingers crossed!

Comment

• tomeso
                  tomeso commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Hey Kabuki, good to see you on this forum!

I received the second unit today and without doing any update , just loaded a couple of samples and the situation is exactly the same !
                Basically the samples has a huge aliasing that result in a metallic timbre completely different from the original timbre of the original samples ( very unpleasant to my ears) also the units 808 kit the kick has a metallic aliasing tale especially on kicks but if listening carefully all the samples sound metallic !

The hardware is really well built , metallic pots and great work flow ( the dream sampler as a concept ) but the sound quality is letting me down a lot , if an update that fix the aliasing will be available before the deadline date to return it , i will be very happy and keep it ( I would want badly to keep it) differently i will be forced to return it.

PLEASE 1010MUSIC TEAM FIX THE ALIASING BEFORE EVERYTHING ELSE.

THNX

Comment

• totalvoyage
                  totalvoyage commented
                  Editing a comment
                  no way , i just came from a friends studio ( I neded another opinion) , we sampled a Jupiter 4 on BB and OMG the sound quality was a disaster , it made a Jupiter 4 basse sound like a bloefeld + aliasing , we also compared with an Akai 2000xl and the BB was degrating the sound more .
                  There are 2 answers to this , or Thomann has received a bunch of defective units or there is a huge problem with BB sound quality wish i would receive an answer from 1010music for support because i still hope that there is something that would fix this , is hard to believe that a sampler that on paper should be high quality sound in reality sounds so bad , at least my too units !

• Bitcat
                  Bitcat commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I'm curious about this, it is quite weird the sound changes that much. I would try doing the same with the samples you provided a few posts back but I don't have a BB yet. Are you totally sure there is nothing else that can be the problem? Cables, levels, mixer, audio interface ecc ecc...
                  Does this problem occour when you sample something using the input on the back of the BB or even when you just load the sample from the sd card?

• totalvoyage
                  totalvoyage commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Oh yes gain stage , gain unity everything was respected carefully ( I m not a novice in audio and music production ) .
                  All the sounds are metallic ( metallic sound is an overall character of the 2 units I received ) , sample timbre from BB are far away from the original timbre of the sample specially low end samples are really bad !
                  Please i m very interested to know your feedback about the sample i uploaded would like to know if i wasn't lucky and received 2 defected units from Thomann or if all BB sound like this and that would be a shame for a resolution 48khz 24bit .
                  high resolution specs were a key selling points for me !

Originally posted by totalvoyage View Post
                I received the second unit today and without doing any update , just loaded a couple of samples and the situation is exactly the same !
                Basically the samples has a huge aliasing that result in a metallic timbre completely different from the original timbre of the original samples ( very unpleasant to my ears) also the units 808 kit the kick has a metallic aliasing tale especially on kicks but if listening carefully all the samples sound metallic !

The hardware is really well built , metallic pots and great work flow ( the dream sampler as a concept ) but the sound quality is letting me down a lot , if an update that fix the aliasing will be available before the deadline date to return it , i will be very happy and keep it ( I would want badly to keep it) differently i will be forced to return it.

PLEASE 1010MUSIC TEAM FIX THE ALIASING BEFORE EVERYTHING ELSE.

THNX
                I didn't mean to say you are a novice, it's just that sometimes we forget small details like a cable or something.
                I would also contact Thomann studio/synth department and ask them to test their units, they are usually very helpful. I don't have a BB yet but I will probably get one from Thomann so I'm a bit scared...
                maybe you could start a new thread so that people can download your samples and test their units.

Comment

• totalvoyage
                  totalvoyage commented
                  Editing a comment
                  no problem i understood what you mean ...
                  I v just wrote to Aaron a direct question if this is the samplers ''wanted character " to sound so metallic and aliasing , if is an engine bug or a faulty unit and will wait a bit for his answer , the hardware is so well build that seem that 1010music want to make things that last and create a good company reputation, so i m hopeful that they will manage to fix this if this is not a hardware limitation , differently i will return the second unit too at the actual state the sound quality is not "production standard" and I can not use it .

cross fingers things will be fixed because as concept this device is literally the dream sampler we v been asking for decades every company , tho it should sound good and HiFi quality , at 48khz 24 bit mean what you put in must come out identical

Hi everyone -

Very new here, and just getting my head around the BB - which is a beautifully constructed device. I mean really, beautiful.

I’m having an issue with mapping the CCs though. I just posted on another thread but thought I’d put it here as it relates specifically to the new firmware. It is quite possibly user error but I’d love to be told how to solve it.

Basically I want to map my midi controller to vol/pitch/filter/grain speed and loop start/stop for each pad (and to be able to trigger each pad). I’ve managed to do this for almost two pads but by the time I got to the 2nd pad, the BB stopped taking any more midi mapping by the time I reached Loop end point.

Here is what I did:

”Specifically I mapped controllers to Vol, Filter, Pitch, Grain Speed and Loop start/end to one pad. I then repeated it for a second pad but the BB wouldn’t take any more mappings by the time I got to Loop End.

I then started over with Pad 2 and then did Pad 1 second, but ran into the same limitation.

Am I doing something wrong or is this just not possible yet?”

Thanks for any insights - and thanks and congratulations again on this beautiful device.

Bill

Comment

The user guide update for 1.3 is now complete. You can find the latest on the Blackbox Documentation and Downloads page.

Comment

Thanks guys. It just keeps on getting better. BB has really added.to my sound palette.

John

Comment

Originally posted by Christine View Post
                      The user guide update for 1.3 is now complete. You can find the latest on the Blackbox Documentation and Downloads page.
                      Hi Christine,

Thanks for this - been reading it this morning. Very clear compared to many manuals I’ve read

But I’m having an issue with Midi CCs and trying to find the answer across various forum posts.

Is there a master list of CCs for the BB? For example, I just found from reading manual posts (which took a while) that MVol is CC7 etc.

If there is a master list, could you point me to it? Also, could this be put in the appendix of future manuals as I’m sure it will grow and it would be good to have one central place to refer to.

Thanks!

Bill
                      Last edited by Prof_lofi; 11-07-2019, 03:20 AM.

Comment

Working...
                      X