Blackbox 1.3 Discussion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Prof_lofi View Post
    If there is a master list, could you point me to it? Also, could this be put in the appendix of future manuals as I’m sure it will grow and it would be good to have one central place to refer to.
    Since we support MIDI Learn, there CCs are assignable. So, there is no master chart. As the manual points out, there are a few hard coded assignments, like MODW (Modulation Wheel) and MVOL (Volume CC)

Comment

Originally posted by Prof_lofi View Post
      I’m having an issue with mapping the CCs though. I just posted on another thread but thought I’d put it here as it relates specifically to the new firmware. It is quite possibly user error but I’d love to be told how to solve it.

Basically I want to map my midi controller to vol/pitch/filter/grain speed and loop start/stop for each pad (and to be able to trigger each pad). I’ve managed to do this for almost two pads but by the time I got to the 2nd pad, the BB stopped taking any more midi mapping by the time I reached Loop end point.
      There is a maximum of 8 mappings per pad as of version 1.3.0

Comment

I ran into one issue mapping notes to the pads and sequences to the buttons on my Launch Control XL: following the chart in the manual doesn't generate any result. The only pad I was able to trigger was pad 3 with the midi note F#1. I tried a few other notes without luck, certainly not with the ones stated in the manual. Any ideas what I might be doing wrong?

Comment

Originally posted by Aaron View Post

There is a maximum of 8 mappings per pad as of version 1.3.0
          Hi Aaron,

Thank you for getting back to me. The thing is, I had mapped less than 8 for one pad (Pad 1 = vol, filter, pitch, grain speed, loop start, loop end) and then started to do the same for Pad 2 - but it wouldn't take anything beyond 5 mappings.

Did you mean 8 mappings per midi channel?

Probably user error - I'm going to try again tonight.

Cheers!

Bill

Comment

Originally posted by Aaron View Post

Since we support MIDI Learn, there CCs are assignable. So, there is no master chart. As the manual points out, there are a few hard coded assignments, like MODW (Modulation Wheel) and MVOL (Volume CC)
            Ah - I see. Thanks Aaron.

Comment

Originally posted by Kabuki View Post
              I ran into one issue mapping notes to the pads and sequences to the buttons on my Launch Control XL: following the chart in the manual doesn't generate any result. The only pad I was able to trigger was pad 3 with the midi note F#1. I tried a few other notes without luck, certainly not with the ones stated in the manual. Any ideas what I might be doing wrong?
              I was too impatient, so I did some more research. The issue as follows: instead of expecting the command to trigger sequence 1 on midi note 52 (E3) as stated in the manual, Blackbox is waiting for midi note 64 (E4). To make things even more confusing, the Launchpad XL somehow sends midi notes with a 2-octave positive offset. So in order to trigger E4 on the Blackbox, I have to program the Launchpad XL to send E2 using the control editor. No idea where all these offsets come from, but now everything works.

Comment

MIDI priority suggestion for next update.

Firstly, thanks for a great update. BB is really starting tick a lot of boxes for me.

I am exploring the multisample instruments and had an issue with note stealing.

After loading 'Housepiano' from the symplesound folder I play one and held it while I played three short chord stabs of three notes each (to stay within the 4 note polyphony limit).

If I played slowly it was all good, but playing them quickly caused the long note to cut out.

Initially I thought it was a bug, but after inspecting the ADSR noticed the release set at 20% meaning that the release from the first chord overlapped with the second chord and the held note totalling 7 voices in all, maxing out the polyphony and cutting previously played notes.

In my opinion it would be great if the release phase of notes was given a lower priority than any midi notes currently playing (notes in the 'note on' take priority over the release phase of notes that have received a 'note off' command.)

Not sure if it's possible to implement, but as a keyboard player it would make BB even better.

Congrats on a great device and a great update.

Comment

Originally posted by visionmusic View Post
                  MIDI priority suggestion for next update.

Firstly, thanks for a great update. BB is really starting tick a lot of boxes for me.

I am exploring the multisample instruments and had an issue with note stealing.

After loading 'Housepiano' from the symplesound folder I play one and held it while I played three short chord stabs of three notes each (to stay within the 4 note polyphony limit).

If I played slowly it was all good, but playing them quickly caused the long note to cut out.

Initially I thought it was a bug, but after inspecting the ADSR noticed the release set at 20% meaning that the release from the first chord overlapped with the second chord and the held note totalling 7 voices in all, maxing out the polyphony and cutting previously played notes.

In my opinion it would be great if the release phase of notes was given a lower priority than any midi notes currently playing (notes in the 'note on' take priority over the release phase of notes that have received a 'note off' command.)

Not sure if it's possible to implement, but as a keyboard player it would make BB even better.

Congrats on a great device and a great update.
                  Additionaly the option to set a higher polyphony for those multisampled slots would really make sense.
                  As a workaround, if you have a master keyboard wich can split the keyboard into zones with different midi channels, you could load the same multi sample into 2 slots and assign different midi in channels

Comment

Love the HighQ update in 1.3.3 ... the Normal aliasing had been bugging me! thanks

Comment

hello i still dont get how to do polymetric rhythms with the blackbox, when i set the Step Count to less than 16, 11 for example, it will still do the 16 steps, just the last 5 are not audible.
                      is this how it should work?

Comment

• torbenfrylund
                        torbenfrylund commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Page 27 in the manual https://1010music.com/wp-content/upl...ide-V0-9-8.pdf
                        “The cells start and stop in aligndment with the sequence’s quantization settings”

This means that even though you have say 15 steps the sequence will still wait for whatever the quantization is set to. Example: if quantization is set to 1 bar, and you have a 15 step sequence of 1/16 notes, then it will still wait until the next bar before triggering again. If you turn off quantization for the sequence you will let it run free.

• Zapman
                        Zapman commented
                        Editing a comment
                        torbenfrylund Cool. Wasn't aware of that. Have to experiment with that. Thx.

I'm having trouble accessing the update at all. It says I'm not authorized, even when I'm logged in and won't let me message the admin when I click the link.

I bought this the day it came out and really use it a lot. Keep the updates coming and thanks a lot for making a great product.

Comment

Working...
                      X