Trying out a new sound, would love your feedback

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trying out a new sound, would love your feedback

Hey fellow Blackbox musicians and everyone else too, really.

I’m experimenting with a new sound and would love your feedback. This is all Blackbox, I had to push it some to get this to run within the box, but that's the beauty of it, right? It's a collection of samples and loops from a few sessions I've had with the Grandmother, the Matriach, a DFAM and such. I don't own these synths, so this is from store sessions, borrowed gear and stuff.

So there's some grainy filthy dirt thrown into dance beats with maybe too much polyrythms for a sane mind, and not all that much going on in the synth department, only a bassline, an arp and a lead.

The idea is to create an intimate and close sound with a pulsating beat, but stay away from the more classic filter sweeps, drops and sense of wide space. A bit like a funky jam in a garage or basement, but with some (much) suble things going on in different places still. To get that sense of immediacy, a lot of this is recorded from live, not sequenced, takes. The plan is to land on the right side of sloppy. The performance itself is also live, with clips launches and modulation done while performing the track.

I know, it’s a bit vague, but here it is, I’d really love your feedback on this.
    https://soundcloud.com/circuitghost/...box-the-grands

I realise I'm talking to myself here, but I'm enjoying the conversation so what the hell

Here's another one, still exploring this new voice of mine:
    https://soundcloud.com/circuitghost/...to-the-tempest

This time, it's based on grain and filth from a DFAM session I had about a year ago, then mixed with drums from the Tanzmaus. Synths are from a Tempest I recorded a few months ago. All put together in the Blackbox and performed live, through an Analog Heat for additional organic movement across the mix.

Any and all feedback is really much appreciated. I'm gunning for a small show and an EP with this kind of sound so all input is appreciated. Thank you.

Comment

Hey man, good job with these tracks. It's definitely a good start, and with a little further development you could have something great. Since your looking for feedback, I'll share a couple of my observations.

1. I feel that the lead part melody used in The Grands could benefit from being a little bit more structured. A catchy riff always adds to a track, and is what makes a song memorable. Keep all other instruments firing off randomly, but add a memorable melody.
      2. The sound patch used in the previously mentioned lead was a little harsh. It was mixed a bit loud, and not pleasing to my ears anyway. Perhaps a softer sounding patch might work better, or at least something that is more compatible with the other sounds being used. I realize these are jam sessions, and not complete songs, and I was only listening through my Samsung 4k tv speakers, so please take these comments with a grain of salt.
      3. My favorite of the two tracks was Into The Tempest. Very Asian, or Oriental sounding. The melodies were a bit catchier, and sounds were more aesthetically pleasing. If I were to make one critique it would be that the song seemed to be lacking a prominent bass drum. More percussion, and a thumping bass drum that drops in and out would be nice. Again I was listening through tv speakers, but I felt DFAM could have been louder on both tracks.

That's all I have for now. Keep up the good work Circuitghost, and happy beat making!

Comment

I enjoyed them. On the first one, where you doing any panning of the individual tracks from the BlackBox mixer page as you performed?
        As to the second one, I think I enjoyed it’s sounds and tones more, but also wished it had started off much slower and slowly built up the various elements over a longer period.

When I listen to ambient, experimental, atmospheric, etc types of music, I want to enjoy the ride of it building and breaking down and evolving at a slower rate. But of course, that’s just what I thought of and like, I hope others join in and give some thoughts. Keep posting!!

Comment

Originally posted by jdg179 View Post
          Hey man, good job with these tracks. It's definitely a good start, and with a little further development you could have something great. Since your looking for feedback, I'll share a couple of my observations.

1. I feel that the lead part melody used in The Grands could benefit from being a little bit more structured. A catchy riff always adds to a track, and is what makes a song memorable. Keep all other instruments firing off randomly, but add a memorable melody.
          2. The sound patch used in the previously mentioned lead was a little harsh. It was mixed a bit loud, and not pleasing to my ears anyway. Perhaps a softer sounding patch might work better, or at least something that is more compatible with the other sounds being used. I realize these are jam sessions, and not complete songs, and I was only listening through my Samsung 4k tv speakers, so please take these comments with a grain of salt.
          3. My favorite of the two tracks was Into The Tempest. Very Asian, or Oriental sounding. The melodies were a bit catchier, and sounds were more aesthetically pleasing. If I were to make one critique it would be that the song seemed to be lacking a prominent bass drum. More percussion, and a thumping bass drum that drops in and out would be nice. Again I was listening through tv speakers, but I felt DFAM could have been louder on both tracks.

That's all I have for now. Keep up the good work Circuitghost, and happy beat making!
          Thank you so much. That is lovely feedback. I agree with the lead part on your first and second point. Honestly, I'm not all that happy with that track, it's more the tone and voice of it than the track itself. That lead came from a Grandmother, and while I liked its sound when I played it, I almost regret putting it in there now, should've perhaps just let the track be without it and shift and move in a more hypnotic way, on its own.

And for sure, the Tempest one is a track I'm actually pleased with and would consider bringing to development or on stage, whereas the Grand won't make it that far. Ironically, that track's synth sounds are all from the Tempest, which I don't own anymore. I'm starting to miss it. While I love what you can do with the Grandmother, the Moog family tends to take up a lot of space when it's around, and kind of steal the show. Sequential's stuff is more polite in that regard, though I guess that's the first and last time I'll describe the Tempest as polite

Comment

Originally posted by Suspect Frequencies View Post
            I enjoyed them. On the first one, where you doing any panning of the individual tracks from the BlackBox mixer page as you performed?
            As to the second one, I think I enjoyed it’s sounds and tones more, but also wished it had started off much slower and slowly built up the various elements over a longer period.

When I listen to ambient, experimental, atmospheric, etc types of music, I want to enjoy the ride of it building and breaking down and evolving at a slower rate. But of course, that’s just what I thought of and like, I hope others join in and give some thoughts. Keep posting!!
            Thank you, very cool feedback. No, no live panning, only filter sweeps, fx tweaks and volume work. However, the bass is recorded from a Matriach and I used the stereo filter for that. I don't own a Matriarch, but recorded it from the store as I tried it out. There's also some panning going on from the Analog Heat, the envelope triggering filter pans as it breaks through the curve. The Heat's really great for subtle, organic changes that don't follow the beat as such, but more float on top of it, not entirely unlike the ambience scratches and noises from an old vinyl.

Comment

And another one, this one all Moog on the synths, and Tanzmaus on drums as well as DFAM on filth:
              https://soundcloud.com/circuitghost/...we-got-a-pulse

Comment

Nice one. Just finishing and sharing a track is an accomplishment, and there's some great ideas. Sonically, if you like the sound of something it's good to go. That said, if I was mixing I'd listen to a previous comment and use panning, delay and reverb to create a little more space for each part.
                That's your height width and depth of the 3d space that is stereo. The height is notes and frequencies. Maybe consider carving out (EQ) the parts a little in your DAW, or filter/resample if your deadset on doing it all in the BB. Great stuff though, keep 'em coming.

Comment

visionmusic Thanks I'm just gonna go ahead and write more tracks and learn as I go, and not dwell too much on the ones I've had. One can get stuck in polish and tweaks for too long and I'm finding that just proceeding with new stuff, works for me.

Though I do not use a daw, so getting the sculpting just right will no doubt be a challenge. Not sure how I'll tackle that one, to be honest.

Comment

Working...
                  X