Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by totalvoyage View Post

I bought black box to get rid of all other dum machines
    That was a mistake. The BlackBox is one of the worst pieces to choose if your goal is to get rid of ALL other drum machines.

Comment

A couple years back I got fed up with using computers in my live performance. I found that having unlimited options was merely unlimited rabbit holes to fall into in the pursuit of creative flow. I started putting more focus on my modular rig, but still wanted the ability to incorporate samples, loops and basic sequencing of those components without throwing thousands more at the modular rig. While the Akai looks very impressive and has a very deep feature set, it somehow seems more like the laptop I so desperately want to get away from. While the Black Box may not be bristling with dedicated function keys and internal soft synths, it is very good, fast and reliable at what it does. But most of all, it sits very comfortably in the modular synth environment. I find my creativity and output are much greater when I have some boundaries. I tend to wander away from my initial creative idea searching through sounds on soft synths and goofing around with effects and I rarely find my way back.

Comment

Dear Aaron we are not asking for LFOs...
        Wait what!? A bunch of us are actually asking for LFO’s

Are you some kind of blackbox union account that speaks for all blackbox owners? Why wasn’t I included :,(

Comment

Originally posted by Suspect Frequencies View Post

That was a mistake. The BlackBox is one of the worst pieces to choose if your goal is to get rid of ALL other drum machines.
          Yeah nuts decision. Drums are terrible on BB atm with no note repeat, velocity, rigid quantize options etc

However a great device to use WITH a drum machine.....Great at adding timestretched percussion, chords etc

Last edited by jonesybb; 02-04-2020, 03:11 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Suspect Frequencies View Post

Agreed. Its a nice compliment to a drum machine, and a bigger set up. Ir equally as part of a smaller rig, but its not in a position to remove a drum machine from the mix.

Maybe if there was an implementation of 'drum' tracks and 'sample' tracks, similar to the (basic) way thr circuit does it, then the argument for rrmoval would be valid. However as theres still much needing to be added at a basic level, we are a way off from this just now.

Comment

Feeling this hard. I needed a sampler and sequencer and went with BB over MPC because the size was very appealing. But the sequencer in BB has proved excruciatingly bare bones, and the way it handles midi and program changes means I'm finding myself still in the market for a sequencer to make the BB play nice with my other gear. If I'm gonna have to get a big deck to sequence with anyway, might as well get the MPC that can also do all the things I need from the BB, and put BB on the shelf. I'll probably keep it around since I do like its workflow as a sampler, but it just cant seem to find a role it's not kind of obtuse at in my main rig.

Comment

Mikeisnottoast I occassionally feel the same, but then I remember why I sold the Live - it's overloaded for me, I didn't know where to go because it did so much, and not all of it well - that I got lost. The Blackbox keeps me on track. I've grown very fond of how easy the sequencer brings out polyrythms, variations in time signature and stuff, so even though it doesn't do much, I'd find that if I'd look into anything else, it would have to do every single thing the Blackbox sequencer does, and then start building from there.

The Novation Launchpad MK3 comes close, and might be a very solid companion to sequence the Blackbox.

Comment

I understand that badroom jamming or the modular "blink blink world" don't care about performative tools and that they are fine to spend 8 hours with a banal drone modulated with "20" LFO but there is also the standard Dance music (techno and house) and there are some pretty basic features like the NOTE REPEAT that is a shame to be missing really , is more fast to put drum rolling or HH note repeat on the computer than on BB !!

BB has huge possibility for success among professional performers who really make a living with their music and 1010music instead of lossing time with youtube reviewers that really counts nothing when it comes to influence the market ( i say it respectfully but is the sad truth ) , Aaron should think more of someone like Chris Liebing , Dubfire etc that need and use similar boxes to trigger samples on every show , those will help influence big numbers (techno and house dj/live performance spend big money in gears ) and also those seasoned proper artists would give a serious feedback how to make an amazing concept like BB a serious performative tool.

So to be repetitive dear AARON before the lovely granular synthesis is necessary the basics :

-Note Repeat
                  -Automatic Pitch detection of the samples and correct distribution through the keybad
                  -Chord mode ( the new scale mode is a great first step tho)
                  give us this and i ll send you some good Italian wine

cheers
                  I think what he wrotes in regards of techno dj and live acts, as well other djs from other music genre.

due to the fact BB is so tiny, one can place it next to the DJ mixes and you can do crazy thinks. Have a look to Richie Hawtin what he uses as a set up.

this basic thinks may enable door to other markets like DJ and Live-Act, weight and size matters when it comes to flight tickets, etc.

keep you eys open, and sometimes you create something which was originally intended for some groups but could help other musicians a lot, too.

just my 2 cent.

Comment

Originally posted by circuitghost View Post
                    Mikeisnottoast I occassionally feel the same, but then I remember why I sold the Live - it's overloaded for me, I didn't know where to go because it did so much, and not all of it well - that I got lost. The Blackbox keeps me on track. I've grown very fond of how easy the sequencer brings out polyrythms, variations in time signature and stuff, so even though it doesn't do much, I'd find that if I'd look into anything else, it would have to do every single thing the Blackbox sequencer does, and then start building from there.
                    My head was definitely turned by the MPC One but I've found myself really enjoying the BB. Although the unit was fine upon buying it, it's been quite exciting wondering what will be added next as Aaron seems to be interested in what we the users have to say and seems keen to build on what is already there. So far 1010 have implemented some really cool stuff.

Obviously everybody has different wants and needs from the machine so not everyone will be happy with the current features or the direction the updates are taking.

Comment

Dears, BB and MPC One are two different machines that they have one thing in common: "Make Music" Each one has its strong and weak points but honestly, just play with both and decide which suits your style and workflow. I tried both and I end up getting the BB because not only it gives me all the things I wanted but it does all these amazing things in a size that is unbeatable.
                      Keep up the good work 1010music! We love your products ...and we love AKAI too

Comment

Working...
                      X