Help with installing 1.4 firmware

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help with installing 1.4 firmware

Just received my Blackbox and it has firmware v. 1.1.0 on it. Downloaded the latest firmware version per instructions, added it to the 1010 SUPPLIED SD card, tried to install but it is not taking. Do I need to delete 1.1.0 from the SD card before going through the steps of uploading the new firmware?

UPDATE: So, I brought it into the office this morning to try it on my work computer (Windows 10 PC) and it took after re-downloading 1.4 BIN file. I can only think there was some issue with Chromebook (that's what I use at home) extracting the file incorrectly or something. Very strange. Thanks for everyone's help.
    Last edited by Chaybee; 01-28-2020, 08:58 AM.

Here are the directions provided by 1010music for updating the firmware on the BlackBox...

Install New Firmware
    Here are the steps required:
    1. Download the blackbox firmware onto your computer. You can find the latest firmware images in the firmware downloads sub-forums on this site. NOTE: You must be a registered member of the forum in order to access the firmware download sub-forums for the products.
    2. Unpack the zip file. Some browsers do this automatically for you.
    3. If you want to replace the Presets with the factory image, copy the full contents of the zip file onto a microSD card. If you do not want to overwrite your presets, copy only the BLACKBOX.BIN file to the microSD card. NOTE: the microSD card must be formatted with FAT32, MS-DOS (FAT), or ExFAT.
    4. Insert the microSD card into your blackbox.
    5. While powering up the unit, hold the BACK and INFO buttons. When you see the messages about upgrading the firmware, you can let go. (The messages will say "Blackbox Installer" then "Looking for File", "Erasing"....)
    6. When the upgrade finishes in about 15 seconds, the unit will restart with the new software.

so important parts are #3 & #5, are you sure you have followed the steps above?

Comment

• Chaybee
      Chaybee commented
      Editing a comment
      This is EXACTLY what I followed. Will not take. resorts back to 1.1. New Firmware does not take.

• Chaybee
      Chaybee commented
      Editing a comment
      Step #3 - I used the supplied SD card from 1010Music which is already formatted correctly.
      Step #5 - I see these messages it says "success restarting" (or something similar) and then restarts but screen still shows 1.1. I feel like the BIN file for 1.4 is still being overwritten by the original one installed on the SD card as the BIN file for 1.4 is simple titled BIN(1) meaning a "copy" when I place it in the SD card from my computer. I'm nervous to delete the original file from the SD card however in case of having no firmware available.

• alkanakotika
      alkanakotika commented
      Editing a comment
      It always worked for me when I released the buttons as soon as it says "Blackbox Installer". If I wait for too long until "Erasing" I enter the hardware testing mode. As it seems the timing when you release the buttons is crucial for a successful programming. Maybe this hint helps some people...

Tried deleting 1.1 and installing 1.4 BACKBOX.BIN file. No dice. Resorts back to 1,1. I'm lost.

Comment

Are you holding the two buttons on the BlackBox when you power it on?

Comment

• Chaybee
        Chaybee commented
        Editing a comment
        Yes, and I have tried letting go during "erasing" as well as waiting to let go until after "erasing".

Originally posted by Chaybee View Post
      Tried deleting 1.1 and installing 1.4 BACKBOX.BIN file. No dice. Resorts back to 1,1. I'm lost.
      Have you made sure that you only have one BLACKBOX.BIN file (with that exact name and extension) on your root folder of the SD.

Comment

• Chaybee
        Chaybee commented
        Editing a comment
        Yes. So, I brought it into the office this morning to try it on my work computer (Windows 10 PC) and it took after re-downloading 1.4 BIN file. I can only think there was some issue with Chromebook (that's what I use at home) extracting the file incorrectly or something. Very strange. Thanks for everyone's help though.

It is important to remember that some browsers automatically unzip downloaded files. If you should try to then unzip manually you will have a second .BIN file with a numerical extension .BIN(1). you either have to remove the (1) or delete that file and unzip again. Blackbox expects a file named BLACKBOX.BIN.

Comment

Installation only works for me when i completely wipe my laptop of all other .bin files. Then DL a fresh .bin and install that.

Comment

may I surf on topic too. I got my blackbox 2 days ago.

just for me to understand. The BLACKBOX.BIN file size is 604kb....(there is no other data/file in the zip) isnt it a bit small with all the content it should have, including the factory presets etc.?

Im a bit lost.

thanks for y'all helping hand.

Comment

Originally posted by TheSchizoid View Post
            may I surf on topic too. I got my blackbox 2 days ago.

just for me to understand. The BLACKBOX.BIN file size is 604kb....(there is no other data/file in the zip) isnt it a bit small with all the content it should have, including the factory presets etc.?

Im a bit lost.

thanks for y'all helping hand.
            The BLACKBOX.BIN file is all that is needed to update the firmware. Your presets, samples, recordings, and the factory content remain untouched during the update.

Comment

I'm trying to update as well from 1.0.6. I have read through all the comments within this thread and nothing touches on the issue I am having. I have the correct file on the SD card and it is the only copy; my issue is when I power on and am pressing the 'back' and 'info' buttons, nothing happens, it just powers on as normal. What could I be doing wrong? Any advice helps, I've tried everything I could think of.

Comment

• Suspect Frequencies
                Suspect Frequencies commented
                Editing a comment
                Are you sure you have both buttons held down before inserting the USB power? In other words, not plugging in then pressing the buttons?

If your device isn't entering test or program mode, here are a few things to try:
              1) Make sure you are firmly pressing/holding both the Back and Info buttons while powering on
              2) Try a different power source that may come up more quickly or slowly. Try a USB battery versus the USB supply.
              3) Try powering up by connecting the USB cable to the device versus connecting the USB power supply to the wall power

Let us know if this does not help.

Comment

• user00101
                user00101 commented
                Editing a comment
                Thank you!

It took me changing the power supply + plugging it into the device rather than the power strip.
            Working...
            X