Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• FX bug in 1.5 firmware

Hi!
    There is a bug with the new firmware. The fx page is gone, there is just "Null" on the right upper side.

Assuming you have rebooted....can you please try to reinstall 1.5? I'm on 1.5 and my FX page is showing as expected. Please let me know if this works. Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by Steve J View Post
      Assuming you have rebooted....can you please try to reinstall 1.5? I'm on 1.5 and my FX page is showing as expected. Please let me know if this works. Thanks
      Hey! I reinstalled the 1.5.1 firmware, problem persists. Altough going back to the prior firmware, everything works fine!

Comment

Comment

Hi. My BB arrived today, and I've had the same problem, but only on a fresh 32gb SanDisk SD card. I seem to have fixed it, however.

First thing I did after unboxing was upgrade to 1.51 using the stock card. This was fine. I then opened a new 32gb card and added a bunch of my own samples. These loaded and played fine for the most part - some didn't show in the browser, but I hadn't gone through and checked them all before copying. However, the FX parameters showed NULL as in Powernerd's photos above.

If I removed the new card and put the stock card back in, the FX params were there again. Back to the new card and they were gone. So it was clearly something to do with the card. I couldn't see anything in the settings.tml file that might be causing it.

Next I formatted the new SD card as ExFat, copied the 1.51 .bin file onto it, and reinstalled the firmware. Nothing else was on the card but, again, the FX params were missing.

After this I copied all the factory content from the stock card to my laptop, and then over to the new card - and now the FX params are working as expected.

So, on my BB at least, it's something to do with content from the stock card being present. I'll try to work out what it might be, and I'll also see if I can find some other SD cards to test on.

Hope this helps - if you've used a new card and still have the stock one around, it's worth trying it with 1.51. If I find anything else out, I'll post it here.

Comment

• Steve J
            Steve J commented
            Editing a comment
            if you can send reliable repro steps I can ook into this. I am not able to reproduce. If you have a preset that consistently behaves like this, please send that (with the wav) to me.

Just as an update, I've now deleted much of the default content on the card, and added a bunch of my own samples, and the FX parameters are still showing as expected. All the default content has been moved to the new folder structure. So so far it appears that the problem on my Sandisk 32gb card was solved simply by copying the contents of the default card over - but I'm not sure what content fixed it, exactly. Certainly my experience was that the FX params reappeared between reboots, with the only change being the addition of the default content to the card.

As soon as I can come up with another micro SD card I'll try to replicate the steps to see if the problem reappears. If it does, I'll add the default content back in stages in the hope of identifying what's responsible.

Comment

Which software did you use to reformat your 32GB card?

Comment

Originally posted by Steve J View Post
              Which software did you use to reformat your 32GB card?
              Originally it was as it came out of the package, so I guess FAT32. I reformatted as ExFat using Disk Utility in macOS. In both cases I had the missing FX parameters, and when I copied over the files that appeared to fix it, no reformatting was involved. Files on the cards read, previewed, loaded, saved and played fine at all times - the only unusual thing I came across was the missing FX params. I'll make an effort to find another card tomorrow, I'm sure I have one somewhere.

Comment

I have found Disk Utility to be unreliable for exFAT formatting. I switched to SD Card Formatter (from the SD foundation) and have only had good results. I can't understand how the presence of some files affects the FX page (does not mean I am right) so I am looking for some other cause. If you can provide reliable repro steps I would be happy (and appreciative) to test it further. It is for sure a weird behavior.

Comment

Absolutely, it doesn't seem to make any sense. I'll try a few formatting methods and see if they make any difference. Is it possible the settings.tml file could have an influence? I compared the settings files on the working and non-working cards but couldn't see anything that might have been problematic.

Is it the case that a completely blank SD card in a supported format should be OK to use?

Comment

• Steve J
                    Steve J commented
                    Editing a comment
                    You don't need any files on the sd card for the blackbox to recognize and use.

OK - writing this up as I go so I don't miss anything.

I'm using a different Sandisk Ultra 32gb micro SD. My BB is on v1.5.1.

I used Windows 10's built-in formatting, with the 'quick format' option and FAT32:

Click image for larger version

Name:	bb-format.JPG
Views:	30
Size:	25.9 KB
ID:	12394

I put this straight into the BB and booted up, then went to the FX page and hit Info, and I got the NULL display as per the image in the first post. This happened for both the Delay and Reverb FX.

Moving the SD card back into Windows, I found that an empty Presets folder had been created, but nothing else.

Here's the info on the card in this state from the macOS Disk Utility:

Name:	BB SD DU info.png
Views:	26
Size:	190.5 KB
ID:	12395

Next I copied settings.tml from my default card to the new card, and still had the NULL problem.

Next I copied the default Drums folder over, so I had some samples to work with. The NULL problem was still there, before and after loading a sample. Samples loaded and played fine, and I was able to resample to a new file.

Something new happened here: when I first clicked the FX button, I saw this:

Name:	BB FX bug a.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	2.73 MB
ID:	12396

As you can see, the FX1 text is cut off. The EXT pads went away after clicking INFO, but the FX1 text was still cropped:

Name:	BB FX bug.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	2.94 MB
ID:	12397

This behaviour persisted across two reboots, but on the third reboot the FX page appeared normal - but the NULL problem was still there.

Next I copied the following folders from the stock card to the new card:

SoundtrackLoops/SL Bossanova Kit/
                  Presets/SL BOSSANOVA/

I loaded the SL BOSSANOVA preset, which worked fine, and when I clicked FX and INFO the parameters were there (and behaved) as expected.

So the only change here between NULL and working params was adding the folders required for the SL Bossanova preset.

Hopefully that's of some use. I'll wrap this post up and try using the SD Foundation tool on the same card.

Comment

OK, I installed the SD Foundation tool on macOS Catalina and reformatted the card (using Quick Format). Putting that card straight into the BB, I had the same problem - NULL in the FX params page.

This time I just put the card back in my laptop and copied the Bossanova preset and samples across (nothing else). The BB booted straight into the kit, and the FX params were in place and working.

If you want me to try anything else, let me know - but in both cases, the solution seems to be adding a preset to the card. Simply adding and loading samples in the first test didn't have any effect.

Thanks!

Comment

No need for further testing yet. Let me sift through some of this to see if I can figure out a solution. Thanks again for reporting and being diligent about providing repro steps!

.....stay tuned

Comment

Working...
                      X