Overloading the BB

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Overloading the BB

I’ve been having trouble with overloading the black box while playing sequences together. I thought this was maybe a polyphony problem as I’m hearing the pops in a similar way, but this does not matter how many voices are playing. If I really push it the lights will flicker and the machine looks like it’s about to shut down. Some samples seem to make it worse than others—e.g. granular mode seems to max it out real quick whereas preloaded drum loops don’t cause a problem. I’m wondering if my sample rate is simply too high for the samples I’m loading.

is there anything I can do to fix this? It’s really limiting how many samples I can combine and messing up my song ideas. Thanks!

That sounds odd -- what kind of power supply are you using with your blackbox?

Comment

Running off the in-box power supply. I’m pretty sure it’s the sample rate. I checked on a bunch of samples that I dumped in and they’re mostly running at 44.1khz. That’s the only reason I can think of for the overloading but I’d like to get some confirmation that this is what’s causing the problem and not something else.

Comment

I would need to know more about your session, your samples, and your power situation. Are you using both the supplied power cable AND the brick?

Comment

Typically, when the buttons flash it is a power issue.

Comment

Yes I’m running the brick and the power cable. I can make it nearly crash by running say 6+ sequences at once if they have multiple parts playing.

Comment

Originally posted by Drewski View Post
              Yes I’m running the brick and the power cable. I can make it nearly crash by running say 6+ sequences at once if they have multiple parts playing.
              I logged on tonight to ask about this same issue. With 6 samples, each sample between 40 and 60 seconds, my BB is crashing. There is no way I'd trust it to play that project live. I'm thinking it does okay with multiple short samples, but with anything over 30 seconds seems to be an issue. Really hoped it could do a little better then that, really.

Glitching and audio cutting out, and when it comes back on things are out of sync. Don't have the light issue you have, and I'm powered off a usb power supply. v1.5.1
              Last edited by KnobTwister; 04-24-2020, 07:22 AM.

Comment

Please try the 1.5.2 experimental version. It is meant to address drop outs when playing longer samples.

Comment

hi ! same issue here with factory presets and 1.5 J firmware

Comment

Originally posted by alexander gurning View Post
                    hi ! same issue here with factory presets and 1.5 J firmware
                    Which preset? Maybe some of us can try and replicate it?

Comment

One preset that was a great example, was the SL ORCHESTRAL HIP HOP. As of version 1.5.J, you can toggle every single loop and then press play. If there are others with problems, please let us know. I'm not aware of any.

Comment

Aaron I just tested with that preset (running FW 1.5.J) and it played half the loop before it started cutting out.

So I tested exchanging the original power plug to one that came with my phone. Which means I power cycled the BB. Now the preset plays without any issues whatsoever, with or without the original power plug. I can't replicate the stuttering. No idea if it has anything to do with it, but the BB had been powered on and been unused for several hours before I did the initial first test.

I should also mention that I did not see any lights on the buttons flashing while it started cutting out on the initial test.

The memory card I use is this one:
                        https://www.amazon.de/gp/product/B07...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Comment

Originally posted by Fotopaul View Post

Which preset? Maybe some of us can try and replicate it?

It was indeed the Orchestral Hip Hop

Today I left the BB on for a few hours and now no problem...

Comment

pretty sure a thousand blackboxes played SL Orchestral Hip Hop today!

Comment

Hi everyone, I'm encountering the same issues with my Blackbox (firmware 1.5.1) and the standard power plug: clicks and pops during the playback of about 5 to 7 samples of 20s to 40s long each, and the half are in granular mode...

Fotopaul could you please give us the power supply specifications of your phone power plug? the standard power plug power specifications are 5V 2.5A for me...

Thanks a lot for the support!

Comment

• Aaron
                                Aaron commented
                                Editing a comment
                                This is a known problem in 1.5.1. Please try with version 1.5.J.

Also, granular mode is going to consume more voices. Please be cautious about how you use it.
                            Working...
                            X