Sensel Morph issues with v1.5.1

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sensel Morph issues with v1.5.1

I'm a little late to the party with the newest beta, but I installed it last night and I no longer get midi notes or CCs out of my Sensel Morph. I use these two together via the host port, I checked cables and midi channel assignments both per pad and in the global menu, no dice. I went back to 1.4.3, everything was back to normal with the same setup/assignments/cable. The Morph is powering up with 1.5.1, and I see LED activity on the Morph, but nothing is actually registering on the BB side. I also tried switching the power mode (regular vs. low drain for ipad etc) and saw no difference. Has anyone else had midi receiving issues? No grumbles here, I went back to 1.4.3 and am happy as a clam, I just wanted to bring it up in case anyone else has had similar experiences.

Keep up the good work 1010 team, I appreciate all the time and effort you put into the BB.

I have a Morph. I will look into this issue later today. Thanks for reporting.

Comment

Thanks Steve, I'm sure I'm missing something. Just for more info, I use the MPC style overlay, so no fancy MPE/non-tradtional MIDI stuff, just launching samples and triggering sequences etc. I've always had really great luck with the Morph/BB combo, hopefully it's a user error situation (typically it is for me, ha)

Comment

I use the Sensel Morph with 1.5.1 and am having no problem with notes. Hope you figure it out.

Comment

• NoParades
          NoParades commented
          Editing a comment
          I'm honestly glad to hear that it's working for you. I'm still voting user error, like maybe there's some default setting that is different, perhaps because of the new preset system in 1.5, and it's something I just don't know to look for.

I just connected my Morph to the blackbox and was able to communicate via MIDI over USB with no trouble. I am including my layout for you to test.

16 pads and all CCs are on Ch2. Keys are on Ch 3. I used this layout to control blackbox and assign a few controllers. Try this and let me know if you see improvement.

(I'm sure you are plenty capable of creating a Morph layout. But this will help remove some variables as I try to get you going again)

Attached Files

Comment

Thanks for the map Steve, I appreciate your help. I just loaded your map, tried it with BB 1.4.3 with the appropriate midi channels set for a couple pads and the keys, works like it should. I swapped the .bin file to 1.5.1, reset all the midi channels up to be the same as they were in 1.4.3 (OMNI in on the global pads/keys, and the appropriate input channels on the individual pads to line up with your map) and I get nothing. The Morph is lighting up, so it's definitely getting power. Is there something I'm missing in a menu somewhere? I went ahead and reflashed the base firmware on the sensel as well, just as a hail mary, reinstalled your map, same results.

I'm totally baffled, I've always praised how easy the BB and Morph work together. I'm again sure this is a user error situation. Oh, just for one more small bit of info, I went ahead and reformatted my SD card, put only the .bin (whichever one I was testing) and one folder of 1010 supplied samples back on the card, so I haven't done any presets, intricate routing, or anything else specific as far as this install is concerned. I always see the settings.tml file pop up after I run the install procedure on BB, and I've tried both leaving that file from 1.4.3 as I load 1.5.1, as well as deleting it before installing the new firmware on BB so the new .bin install can write its own settings file... same results either way.
          EDIT- I'm using the supplied power supply and cable for BB, not that it probably matters in this case.
          Last edited by NoParades; 04-30-2020, 06:46 PM.

Comment

Right now I can't explain this but I AM working on it. A few users are reporting similar issues with MIDI but none of those issues are happening on my end so it makes it extra difficult to fix. I need to be able to see it and reproduce it. For all of you experiencing this, please send me whatever you can. I have been hunting this bug for a bit and am eager to squash it!

I wish I had a better answer. I'll find it.

Comment

no worries! I'll do some more testing and see what I can come up with. I've been a little swamped the last few days, but maybe I can take some page-by-page detailed notes on how everything is set, I'll try using some other midi inputs also, just in case. I don't have a lot of standalone controllers anymore since I use the Morph most of the time but I'll try out what I have.

Comment

well, I spent a night testing the other USB midi controllers I have here (Midi Fighter Twister, MicroFreak outputting USB midi, , and had identical results. no midi info actually doing anything within the BB v1.5, all devices work as expected with other midi instruments as well as BB v1.4.3. rotated between 3 verified USB cables, same result with all of them.

Comment

• Steve
                  Steve commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Thank you for this report. I'm looking at MIDI & Blackbox today!

I'm going to grab the new beta and see how it goes, I'll report back.

Comment

• Steve
                  Steve commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Please do. I am looking at everything MIDI today.

sadly v1.5.F has the same problem. I tried both your morph map, my usual one that works on 1.4.3., and the midi fighter again, no midi luck. Same symptoms, the Morph powers up, gives LED feedback, but isn't making any effect on BB at all. Same procedure as before, reformatted the original 1010 supplied SD card before installing the new beta, did a firmware reflash on the Morph just in case, still works fine with 1.4.3 after swapping back.

EDIT- I played around for a couple more hours with the morph/BB combo tonight and still can't get any midi functionality via the USB device port at all. I can get expected performance via the MIDI IN jack, just no love with the USB. I'm going back to 1.4.3 for now. I'll keep an eye open for anything else peculiar with MIDI that may be helpful, but I can't lose functionality of the device jack to gain the new features.
                Last edited by NoParades; 05-08-2020, 09:20 PM.

Comment

well snap, after a post from user RMG__ in another thread mentioning they had issues with midi action on a fresh card with no presets saved yet, I rushed to my studio to slide that fresh 1.5.J back on. Sure enough, I saved a dummy preset with one pad assigned and midi routing set correctly for my Morph, and BOOM, MIDI in seems to be working. I'm going to do some more comprehensive testing tonight to see if anything else weird happens, but at least for the moment my mystery seems solved.

Thanks again RMG__ for the head's up. Also Steve, is this info in the manual regarding new presets somewhere and I just didn't see it? If not, and it's going to remain as it is, it's probably worth mentioning somewhere that a preset needs to be saved in order for midi to work, or maybe there's an init preset that opens automatically. Either way, I'm stoked to finally get to check the new version out.

Comment

• Steve
                    Steve commented
                    Editing a comment
                    I believe it is going to appear in the manual. This is a weird anomaly that we just stumbled upon. Not sure there is a fix from our end as the blackbox will always attempt to open the last used preset when powering on. If that preset isn't there, and there are no other presets, the grid will still load. "are you working inside in a preset" will now be added to the list of questions we need to ask when MIDI issues arise. This is good stuff.

My Sensel Morph stopped working correctly using 1.5.1
                  I guess I spoke too soon earlier. I went back to 1.4.3 and a new install and it is working again. I'm going to be brave and try reinstalling the newer firmware agin and see if that works. I like the file saving system in the newer versions.

Comment

• NoParades
                    NoParades commented
                    Editing a comment
                    this is what happened to me as well. This time around, I immediately went in to the PSET menu, saved a blank one, then assigned my midi channels etc. and it worked as it did in 1.4.3, hopefully you have the same results.

I took the latest firmware releases as a "clean slate" opportunity to start over with BB, but I think that led to my midi issues.
                Working...
                X