Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How does automated multi-sample and velocity layers function work?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How does automated multi-sample and velocity layers function work?

Is there documentation for this? The latest version of the manual that I could find is for version 1.5 and I can't see anything there about it.

And here it says "the feature will allow to record up to 127 notes by 16 velocity layers". How does that work? Is there a naming system that tells BB how to play these velocity layers?

All the magic is done in the preset XML file. It plays a particular sample based on the velocity.

Steve

Comment

We write wav tags to identify the different samples. And as steveg mentioned, we take care of the rest!

Comment

Thanks Steves

Is it possible for me to load multi-samples with velocity layers in, or will it only work if BB records them itself?

Also wondering how the automated multi-sample function works in general, meaning how do I do it. Is there a step by step guide somewhere?

Comment

I believe the latest firmware is 1.5, with 1.6 only being in beta testing. I'd imagine when 1.6 goes live, they will update the manual.

Comment

Originally posted by joaoorecchia View Post
            Thanks Steves

Is it possible for me to load multi-samples with velocity layers in, or will it only work if BB records them itself?

Also wondering how the automated multi-sample function works in general, meaning how do I do it. Is there a step by step guide somewhere?
            You can load from external sources, although the blackbox relies on a root note, saved as a wav tag to assign. However, you can set that IN the parameters for each wav. You can also save that root note to the wav file so you only need to set it once.

The updated manual and quick-start guide are coming. On blackbox, you have two options:

option 1
            1. connect MIDI out to your MIDI synth
            2. connect the audio output of synth to blackbox audio input
            3. set the input on the bb
            4. set the filename for the new samples
            5. set start/end notes
            6. Sample Every tells the blackbox the interval between sampled notes
            7. Note Length - how long you want the note to sound
            8. Release Len - how long to record after the Note Length

option 2
            1. use OUT 1 and split ch 1 and 2 using a cable or splitter
            2. send CV (1) and Gate (2) to analog synth
            3. connect audio out of synth to blackbox audio input

Comment

• Steve
              Steve commented
              Editing a comment
              CV + Gate are generated from OUT1.

CV = OUT1L.
              Gate = OUT1R

• da.vid
              da.vid commented
              Editing a comment
              Thanks! And one step further: could I do this without multisampming it? Like with midi, where you can simple sequence an external device. I wonder if I could send CV and gate out without recording the results in the automatic sampling function.
              Not sure if I am clear ...

• Steve
              Steve commented
              Editing a comment
              Not really. You can record CV and/or Gate signals to the blackbox. So you can for sure send signal out as eurorack level LFO, for example.

I can't find a link to the 1.6 firmware... is this a closed beta ?

edit: post says "public beta", but still I can't find the link.

Comment

• joaoorecchia
              joaoorecchia commented
              Editing a comment
              It's called 1.5.j or something like that. It should be in the firmware download section of the forum, I'm pretty sure that's where I found it. It becomes 1.6 when it's finalised.

Thank you. There's a 1.5.J indeed.

Comment

Multisampling in 1.6.4 works as advertised. Well done team!

Comment

Automated multisampling is VERY fast now, and I learned a few things.
                1- For organization, create a PSET of the SYNTH that you are sampling. This will create a library for all the patches within that folder location in one location based on the instrument sampled.
                2- When doing a long session of multisampling in multiple patches, there is no need to save the PSET. This is not a musical or compositional session. Also, the BB automatically saves the patch now! I have tested several times and patches are saved after the Automatic process ends. I turned off and on the BB after multisampling several patches in without saving and low and behold, everything was as I left it. Probably not the intended workflow, but speeds up the process. I simply save ONCE at the end of the long session, not after each patch.
                3-Name each Filename after the Patch, not the folder or PSET. This makes recall and library organization easier.

I have included a video on my Youtube B channel displaying the above comments.

Well DONE TEAM!!!

https://youtu.be/1qSvO1_xoko

Comment

Sorry, but how to play the different notes for the next recording steps. Is there no threshold function or how it works ?

Comment

The bitbox micro manual has the most up to date information on the multisampling function. We need to transfer this to blackbox.
                    https://1010music.com/microdocs

Key differences are that blackbox uses the physical play/record/stop buttons to run the process. Otherwise, it should be the same.

Thank you.

Comment

• joaoorecchia
                      joaoorecchia commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Thanks Aaron. I'm trying to load a premade multisample with velocity layers but can't seem to make it work. Following the info in the Bitbox Micro manual, I renamed the files using the naming convention.

My steps for a simple test:

1. Made a folder with 2 files of different sounds (in my case a bassoon and a violin)
                      2. Named them "Test-047-050.wav" and "Test-047-100.wav"
                      3. Set root notes in BB on both to B2 (47), and saved and overwrote files individually
                      4. File > Load all

My expectation was that a low velocity would play one file and a high velocity would play the other. Instead, all keys play "Test-047-100.wav" (bassoon), regardless of velocity, except for the key C1 (might be 2, can't tell on the keystep pro). That key plays "Test-047-050.wav" (violin).

Is the BB set up to recognise the naming convention and implement the multisample functionality? If not, let me please formally request the feature.

Thx a lot for the info. Now it’s clear I need the Midi Out of the Blackbox to trigger the external Gear. I tried it with my iPad and it’s awesome and works very well. Again thank you very much for this feature.

Comment

Working...
                    X