Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How does automated multi-sample and velocity layers function work?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How does automated multi-sample and velocity layers function work?

Is there documentation for this? The latest version of the manual that I could find is for version 1.5 and I can't see anything there about it.

And here it says "the feature will allow to record up to 127 notes by 16 velocity layers". How does that work? Is there a naming system that tells BB how to play these velocity layers?

All the magic is done in the preset XML file. It plays a particular sample based on the velocity.

Steve

Comment

We write wav tags to identify the different samples. And as steveg mentioned, we take care of the rest!

Comment

Thanks Steves

Is it possible for me to load multi-samples with velocity layers in, or will it only work if BB records them itself?

Also wondering how the automated multi-sample function works in general, meaning how do I do it. Is there a step by step guide somewhere?

Comment

I believe the latest firmware is 1.5, with 1.6 only being in beta testing. I'd imagine when 1.6 goes live, they will update the manual.

Comment

Originally posted by joaoorecchia View Post
            Thanks Steves

Is it possible for me to load multi-samples with velocity layers in, or will it only work if BB records them itself?

Also wondering how the automated multi-sample function works in general, meaning how do I do it. Is there a step by step guide somewhere?
            You can load from external sources, although the blackbox relies on a root note, saved as a wav tag to assign. However, you can set that IN the parameters for each wav. You can also save that root note to the wav file so you only need to set it once.

The updated manual and quick-start guide are coming. On blackbox, you have two options:

option 1
            1. connect MIDI out to your MIDI synth
            2. connect the audio output of synth to blackbox audio input
            3. set the input on the bb
            4. set the filename for the new samples
            5. set start/end notes
            6. Sample Every tells the blackbox the interval between sampled notes
            7. Note Length - how long you want the note to sound
            8. Release Len - how long to record after the Note Length

option 2
            1. use OUT 1 and split ch 1 and 2 using a cable or splitter
            2. send CV (1) and Gate (2) to analog synth
            3. connect audio out of synth to blackbox audio input

Comment

• joaoorecchia
              joaoorecchia commented
              Editing a comment
              Steve, I'm not sure whether you're saying that your answer covered my question, or you were going to check on something? I tried what I was asking about, as a simple test. I gave 2 samples the same root note (C2) and saved them in BB. Then I loaded them as a multisample. It didn't split them into velocity layers. Unless I'm completely misunderstanding what velocity layers are, BB is meant to play different samples depending on velocity, right?

• Steve
              Steve commented
              Editing a comment
              Yes. I need to check on the underlying rules of the multisample vs velocity workflow. I will get to this today. Sorry for the delay. I have been buried this week.

• Future Customer
              Future Customer commented
              Editing a comment
              Hmm... followed the instructions as written, and I see the Blackbox showing that the automation is proceeding, but no audio is being played. I listened back to the wave files that were created and sure enough, nothing. When I play the notes by hand (when not trying to sample) the sounds are being generated and passed through the BB. But the automation does not seem to trigger anything. And yes, the midi channels were set up correctly. I would like to know if anyone else is having a bit of trouble multi-sampling. Thanks for this great product and community!!

I can't find a link to the 1.6 firmware... is this a closed beta ?

edit: post says "public beta", but still I can't find the link.

Comment

• joaoorecchia
              joaoorecchia commented
              Editing a comment
              It's called 1.5.j or something like that. It should be in the firmware download section of the forum, I'm pretty sure that's where I found it. It becomes 1.6 when it's finalised.

Thank you. There's a 1.5.J indeed.

Comment

Multisampling in 1.6.4 works as advertised. Well done team!

Comment

Working...
              X