Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How does automated multi-sample and velocity layers function work?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Steve
    commented on 's reply
    Not really. You can record CV and/or Gate signals to the blackbox. So you can for sure send signal out as eurorack level LFO, for example.

• da.vid
    commented on 's reply
    Thanks! And one step further: could I do this without multisampming it? Like with midi, where you can simple sequence an external device. I wonder if I could send CV and gate out without recording the results in the automatic sampling function.
    Not sure if I am clear ...

• Steve
    commented on 's reply
    CV + Gate are generated from OUT1.

CV = OUT1L.
    Gate = OUT1R

• da.vid
    commented on 's reply
    Hi Steve, Thanks for the summery. A question about option 2: Do I have to sample CV and gate information before I can send CV and Gate out? Or is there a way to do this, without sampling it before?

• joaoorecchia
    commented on 's reply
    Thanks Aaron. I'm trying to load a premade multisample with velocity layers but can't seem to make it work. Following the info in the Bitbox Micro manual, I renamed the files using the naming convention.

My steps for a simple test:

1. Made a folder with 2 files of different sounds (in my case a bassoon and a violin)
    2. Named them "Test-047-050.wav" and "Test-047-100.wav"
    3. Set root notes in BB on both to B2 (47), and saved and overwrote files individually
    4. File > Load all

My expectation was that a low velocity would play one file and a high velocity would play the other. Instead, all keys play "Test-047-100.wav" (bassoon), regardless of velocity, except for the key C1 (might be 2, can't tell on the keystep pro). That key plays "Test-047-050.wav" (violin).

Is the BB set up to recognise the naming convention and implement the multisample functionality? If not, let me please formally request the feature.

• MacMajo
    replied
    Thx a lot for the info. Now it’s clear I need the Midi Out of the Blackbox to trigger the external Gear. I tried it with my iPad and it’s awesome and works very well. Again thank you very much for this feature.

Leave a comment:

• Aaron
    replied
    The bitbox micro manual has the most up to date information on the multisampling function. We need to transfer this to blackbox.
    https://1010music.com/microdocs

Key differences are that blackbox uses the physical play/record/stop buttons to run the process. Otherwise, it should be the same.

Thank you.

Leave a comment:

• MacMajo
    replied
    Sorry, but how to play the different notes for the next recording steps. Is there no threshold function or how it works ?

Leave a comment:

• Future Customer
    replied
    Automated multisampling is VERY fast now, and I learned a few things.
    1- For organization, create a PSET of the SYNTH that you are sampling. This will create a library for all the patches within that folder location in one location based on the instrument sampled.
    2- When doing a long session of multisampling in multiple patches, there is no need to save the PSET. This is not a musical or compositional session. Also, the BB automatically saves the patch now! I have tested several times and patches are saved after the Automatic process ends. I turned off and on the BB after multisampling several patches in without saving and low and behold, everything was as I left it. Probably not the intended workflow, but speeds up the process. I simply save ONCE at the end of the long session, not after each patch.
    3-Name each Filename after the Patch, not the folder or PSET. This makes recall and library organization easier.

I have included a video on my Youtube B channel displaying the above comments.

Well DONE TEAM!!!

https://youtu.be/1qSvO1_xoko

Leave a comment:

• Future Customer
    replied
    Multisampling in 1.6.4 works as advertised. Well done team!

Leave a comment:

• Future Customer
    commented on 's reply
    Hmm... followed the instructions as written, and I see the Blackbox showing that the automation is proceeding, but no audio is being played. I listened back to the wave files that were created and sure enough, nothing. When I play the notes by hand (when not trying to sample) the sounds are being generated and passed through the BB. But the automation does not seem to trigger anything. And yes, the midi channels were set up correctly. I would like to know if anyone else is having a bit of trouble multi-sampling. Thanks for this great product and community!!

• Steve
    commented on 's reply
    Yes. I need to check on the underlying rules of the multisample vs velocity workflow. I will get to this today. Sorry for the delay. I have been buried this week.

• joaoorecchia
    commented on 's reply
    Steve, I'm not sure whether you're saying that your answer covered my question, or you were going to check on something? I tried what I was asking about, as a simple test. I gave 2 samples the same root note (C2) and saved them in BB. Then I loaded them as a multisample. It didn't split them into velocity layers. Unless I'm completely misunderstanding what velocity layers are, BB is meant to play different samples depending on velocity, right?

• Steve
    commented on 's reply
    let me triple check my answer.....

• 2020music
    replied
    Thank you. There's a 1.5.J indeed.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X