Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

E-RM Midiclock with BB syncing slightly out ???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• E-RM Midiclock with BB syncing slightly out ???

I have the excellent E-RM midiclock controlling all the clock in my set up. Clock signal sent through midi, via a Kenton midi thru to all my gear. Syncs everything like a dream... apart from my black box. The midi cable out of my kenton, in to the 1010 midi breakout cable and in to either the midi in or clock in - neither work correctly.

Firmware is latest 1.6.5 & have tried all midi clock options (midi / all) in tools.

When i sync up a synth audio out to the audio in on the black box, they connect but the beats are slighty different timings, it's generally very close but a few beats out, which is really weird - all the rest of my gear is sync'd fine to the erm....! Never had any issue with the ERM multiclock with any other kit (in fact its just so reliable and easy), so thinking must be something in the blackbox set up i'm doing wrong.... i get round it by setting the black box internal clock to the same as my ERM, which is okay, but not ideal, as have to re-trigger every now and then as not exact.

Anyone out there with experience of the two working together well and would like to share? assuming it's something to do with PPQ or the like which i never quite understand if i'm being honest! - much thanks in advance

Cheers and thanks, Luke

MIDI sync should work if you use the TRS adapter included with the blackbox. Incoming Clock needs to be 4ppqn as that is what our devices expect. I would be interested in seeing your setup and everything that is connected - and how. What type of content are you playing on the blackbox? Clips? or Samples?

Comment

• LukeDix
      LukeDix commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks Steve. Yes using the 1010 Trs breakout. Playing mixture of content, sample and clip etc

I think the ERm sends midi clock (which is at 24ppqn I think?) and either DIN Sync (sync24) or Analogue clock (8ppq). So if 4 needed that will be it???

It’s just that I’ve never had a sync problem with the erm to any other piece of hardware, so strange that The BB is out of sync with everything else. I can stop/start everything from my erm again except the BB which ignores it?

Has any one linked these two?
      Thanks again! Will work it out

• Steve
      Steve commented
      Editing a comment
      I don't have those other devices. MIDI sync should work as expected. Analog clock expects 4ppqn. There are numerous requests to offer more clock options. This is a request that you can +1 in the wish list thread, or add a new thread to encourage others to +1. But we hear you!

Thanks again Steve. I’ll try a few other configurations to see if I can make it work. Thanks.

Comment

On the tools page, please check the MIDI In tab. There, please make sure that ClockSource is set to All or MIDI port.

MIDI clock is 24ppq, per the spec.

The blackbox does respond to MIDI start and stop. You should also see the bars and beats counter in the upper left track the incoming clock.

Comment

• LukeDix
        LukeDix commented
        Editing a comment
        Thanks Aaron, Yes tried Both :all and midi.
        I’ll try it again later with everything else disconnected and see if I can isolate the problem. Thanks for ongoing support. Excellent as always!

I decided to dive into the deep end of the pool with this one, but it seems that I'm not entirely sure how the Blackbox "Clock In" port works. I've tried for months reading the manual of this and other devices and it seems straightforward in writing... but I'm having no luck with this setup.

For anyone not familliar, the E-RM multiclock is a great tool that allows you to send MIDI, Analog, DIN, and more signals routed from other devices or a rock solid internal clock.

I've tried everything I can think of and I've never had any success using the "Clock-In" port on the Blackbox, so I thought maybe the signal it's expecting (24 PPQ default) was something that only a high end device like the Mutliclock could reliably provide. I've tried every output type I can from the Multiclock to the "Clock In" with the Blackbox... to no avail. I'm using the provided DIN to 5-pin MIDI adapters, but I've never been able to use the Blackbox as a MIDI slave to ANY other device I own (Boss RC-505, Launchpad Mini Pro MKIII, Roland DJ-505, & Ableton Midi Output so far) using the "Clock In" port. The only way I've had any success is using the MIDI In port on the blackbox to receive the signal

So my questions is; What am I missing here? If I can sort this out, I'm trying to make the Blackbox the center of my touring rig.

multiclockProfessionally sync all your electronic Instruments and Software. Any Clock Input The multiclock can be it's own master or synced to external MIDI, DIN sync or Analogue master clocks. Synchronisation of the multiclock to a DAW relies on a sample accurate audio clock, which allows for rock solid sync signals. Custom Outputs The multiclock has...

Comment

I can't speak to the blackbox specifically but I remember a while back I had an Anushri which I was trying to connect to blackbox with clock ports. In that case blackbox clock out was going to Anushri clock in. I couldn't get it to work, finally figured it out - I had to set the bpm on the Anushri to it's lowest setting for it to accept clock in from an external device. Not sure if it's the same with the blackbox but you might give it a shot.

Comment

The Clock In and Out ports are for analog clock like you'd find in the eurorack world. MIDI will not function on these ports. The blackbox will only receive MIDI Clock on the TRS or USB port. To use the Clock ports you can set the clock resolution in Tools to match your master clock (or set your clock source to match the blackbox).

Comment

Sorry for reviving an old topic but, did you get it to work? I have the same question: what is the best way to sync ERM with the blackbox

Comment

since this topic was started we released a few firmware updates. you can now select the incoming or outgoing PPQ in the TOOLS menu. The MIDI IN jack will only accept MIDI Sync. The clock input will only accept an analog clock. They are not interchangeable.

I do not own an E-RM (unfortunately) so I can't give you specifics but I would send MIDI clock over one of the DIN jacks and connect to the Blackbox MIDI IN. This should work. Keep in mind, the box responds to start/stop from MIDI only.

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
                since this topic was started we released a few firmware updates. you can now select the incoming or outgoing PPQ in the TOOLS menu. The MIDI IN jack will only accept MIDI Sync. The clock input will only accept an analog clock. They are not interchangeable.

I do not own an E-RM (unfortunately) so I can't give you specifics but I would send MIDI clock over one of the DIN jacks and connect to the Blackbox MIDI IN. This should work. Keep in mind, the box responds to start/stop from MIDI only.
                Thanks for your reply! So, just to be clear: I want to use the Blackbox in a live techno setup with different synths and my Mpc Live II as the master. Preferably i'd use my ERM to send a pulse to the clock in of the Blackbox for general sync and use the midi in to trigger clips on the BB from my Akai MPC live II (I do this in case anything stops working during the performance then the Blackbox remains getting a solid clock). This setup won't work then since the clock in and midi in are not interchangeable/can be used at the same time?

So then I'd just use the midi in on the BB connected to the MPC midi out. This should send midi data and sync to the BB also. Say I use midi channel 13 on the MPC and send this to the BB, I then want to use its sequencer to trigger clips through midi on the BB. Where can I set the corresponding midi channel on the BB? Does this need to be PAD specific on the BB or can I set a global midi channel (13) on the BB to correspond to the MPC for launching clips?

Comment

let me clarify - by "not interchangeable" I only meant that you can't send MIDI to the clock input and you can't send Analog clock to the MIDI input. You can definitely use them both at the same time - in the way you described. You can send MIDI to trigger Pads, Sequences, MIDI Recording, etc. You have two ways to bring in MIDI. You can set the incoming channel globally or you can set this per pad (or sequence). in TOOLS you can set the PPQ of the analog clock IN/OUT. Make sure this matches the format your ERM is sending. From the manual, it looks like 24 PPQ. The blackbox can accept that. The blackbox can also send clock to the ERM.

check the blackbox Midi setup video: https://youtu.be/ZAOaQvMR5uM

Comment

Working...
                  X