Kick samples lose low-end when loaded into pad

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kick samples lose low-end when loaded into pad

On 1.6.5, I noticed that the kick drum samples I have lose their low-end after being loaded into a pad. When browsing the samples, the Play preview is deep, resonant sound with plenty of low-end punch, but once the sample is loaded, it completely loses that depth. The best way I can describe is that the preview plays a "thump", but when loaded, the sample sounds like it moved several steps closer to a click or a pop.

I replicated this behavior in a new preset and confirmed that all the ASDR, Pitch, Filter, and Volume settings are at the default, so it doesn't appear to be anything to do with the pad settings.

I can change the pitch of the sample/play it in a lower octave via Keys, but the sample still lacks the low-end that was present in the preview. It's almost as if a high-pass filter is being pre-applied to the sample when it's loaded into the pad.

A few other things I noticed is that this only seems to affect kick samples that have a fair amount of low-end (mostly samples from drum machines). Some of the other samples I have that are from acoustic kits don't appear to suffer this issue.

Has anyone else run into similar issues before or have any pointers? Thanks!

Try converting the samples to 48kHz and see if that makes a difference.

Comment

maybe upload a sample that highlights the issue, it might help them investigate

Comment

Sorry, didn't mean to take so long to respond, but you know how it is. I tested with both 44.1 kHz and 48 kHz samples of the same file (originally 48 kHz) and got the same results.

After some careful listening, I realize that it's not so much that the low-end gets lost, but rather the sample clips on playback once it's loaded, which is what's causing the popping sound. On the lower-end speakers I was using, this was causing it to sound thinner since the pop was masking the rest of the audio I guess.

This still leaves the issue where the sample preview playback is fine, but then clips when loaded into a pad. I checked that the audio isn't clipping when played back in the original/rendered files. I've attached the wav samples I'm used to test if that helps.

Thanks.
        Attached Files

Comment

• Steve
          Steve commented
          Editing a comment
          What are your pad settings? Can you also upload the preset? Thanks

It's all the default pad settings when making a new preset. Here's one I just made that sounds fine in preview, but clips in the pad. Thanks!
        Attached Files

Comment

Working...
        X