Root Note Not Saving

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Root Note Not Saving

I am trying to use a multisample pad with 6 samples spanning 6 different octaves of the note C. They are named correctly, but do not have a root note assigned so I am going through the process on the black box to load each sample, save, and overwrite each file. After I do that and load all files into a multisample pad, they still don't play chromatically, and when I load a single file onto another pad I can see that the root note designation did not save onto the file.

I'd love some guidance here so I can get back to multisampling! Thank you!

Are you saving the PSET?

Comment

I have not saved the preset, do you need to do that after you assign and overwrite the root note for each file?

I’m trying to load a multi sample patch where the samples currently don’t have root notes assigned. What is the order of operations if I need to save the preset during this process? Thanks

Comment

There are two levels of saving the root note. 1. save the preset - this only saves that root note in the current preset. 2. save the WAV file. This should write the root note to the WAV file.

I was just asking to clarify that you knew there was a difference. If you are saving to the WAV file you are doing the right thing. If that is broken for you, I'd like to see your preset and directory of files if you don't mind sharing.

Comment

I'm having this precise issue and it's driving me bonkers
          I'm going through wav sample files that I have created on a PC and then copied to the Black box SD card.
          On the black box, I am reading each file in turn, setting the root note in the misc tab, and then saving the wav file (selecting ok when asked if I want to overwrite)
          When I file load all to load the multisample into a pad, this doesn't map the files correctly. Often they are just assigned to notes in alphabetical order of file names. When I load each file individually again and look at the root note, some are stored correctly, others apparently not (root note shown as the same as the last file loaded with a successfully stored root note)
          It's like the save operation works sometimes, but not others, with no reason behind it ...

Has anyone any ideas, fixes, workarounds???
          Thanks

Comment

• Steve
            Steve commented
            Editing a comment
            Which firmware, microSD card, Can you share a preset with me to look at?

Hey,
          Thanks Steve,
          F/W is 1.5.1
          SD card: Sandisk Ultra 64 GB. Micro SD XC 1 A1
          I'm going to try and upload a preset I created from scratch this morning to help debug the problem.
          I'm using a folder full of handbell samples that I have named using midi note and then the note, so now they go from the lowest to the highest note if following the filenames alphabetically.
          Not every note has a sample, in fact it's a major scale.
          I had previously gone through each sample in turn, setting the root note, and saving the wav file.
          This morning, some samples remembered the root note I'd previously saved whilst others did not. For those without the correct root notes this morning, I set them and saved the vwavs again.
          I selected the first sample in the folder, selected "Load-all" and played the multi-instrument. What we get is one sample per key playing the major scale, rather than playing chromatically. Finally, I saved the present and packaged it ready to upload for you.

I've tried googling on the topic of wav metadata but the whole topic looks to be a bit of a mess. If I could set the root note tags successfully in something like audacity or Reaper, and the Black box read the headers ok, then that would be a workaround for me.
          Thanks once again for taking a look
          Phil.

Attached Files

Comment

• Steve
            Steve commented
            Editing a comment
            Thanks. I need you to "Pack" the preset first so I can look at your audio files, too.

I would recommend moving up to 1.6.5 as that is where I will test this. SampleRobot will handle this task pretty easily.

I don't have samplerobot, but having had a quick look it does seem to be something that would make life much easier if you are in that habit of creating your own samples
          What I've done is packed everything old school, using winzip. In my defense, I'm a guitarist Hopefully that'll work, if not I'll invest in SampleRobot.

Edit: the zip file is too large to attach ..... I'll investigate a plan B
          Phil.

Comment

• Steve
            Steve commented
            Editing a comment
            google drive or dropbox works.

Hey,
          I've just sent you a link to download a zip file via we transfer ... hopefully that covers it.
          I've also installed 1.6.5 and watched a few videos on youtube. The new multi sampling feature looks fantastic and I may get to try it out today.
          Thanks once again,
          Phil.

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
            There are two levels of saving the root note. 1. save the preset - this only saves that root note in the current preset. 2. save the WAV file. This should write the root note to the WAV file.

I was just asking to clarify that you knew there was a difference. If you are saving to the WAV file you are doing the right thing. If that is broken for you, I'd like to see your preset and directory of files if you don't mind sharing.
            Hi Steve, sorry for the delay on this.
            Here is a screenshot of the preset directory, is this what you are looking for? Let me know what would be helpful, happy to share to get this resolved.

Thank you!

PS - I have a Bluebox on pre-order and counting the days, nice work!
            Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2020-10-29 at 11.52.00 AM.png
Views:	70
Size:	557.9 KB
ID:	18582

Comment

Hi again, Steve,
              I did some investigating last night into the metadata for two of the wav files in the sample set.
              Attached are two screenshots looking at the smpl data block for two files, one for the note of C4, the other for the note of D4.
              In my multisample on the BlackBox, the root note for C4 was stored and identified correctly when loaded, D4 was not.

Unless I miss my guess, the smpl blocks are telling us that both root notes were written correctly to the wav file: 3C = 060 for C4, and 3E = 062 for D4.
              This implies that there might be something amiss when BB creates the mulitsample with the "load all" command ..... maybe.
              Anyway, I thought I'd share
              Phil.
              Attached Files

Comment

Thanks. I will look closer at this.

Comment

Hi Steve,

Just checking if you have had any luck here or need any more information from me.

Thanks again

Comment

Hey,
                    I'd be interested in any progress, too.
                    I've had great success with creating multi-samples in 1.6.5, so that's an improvement in my situation.
                    I also have a bit of a workaround by creating samples a semitone apart, starting at C, with a filename that includes the midi note number to ensure the correct order. With this approach, the default auto-ordering works correctly, but it's a little limiting.
                    I've yet to try using a PC based sample management program ... but it would be preferable to unravel the mystery
                    Phil.

Comment

Working...
                    X