Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Device flash all buttons and goes off tempo when playing pattern with just midi data

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Device flash all buttons and goes off tempo when playing pattern with just midi data

I am getting a weird issue on the blackbox with latest firmware.

I created a simple pattern which trigger midi on each pad; each pad is associated to a midi channel played on an external synth.
    When the pattern start playing, it does play fine; but halfway through (the pattern has 64 steps total); the buttons lights start to flash and the beat goes off tempo. You can tell by looking at the screen that the device is suffering to even update the screen.

Why is this happening? I am playing just midi data, nothing else. I recorded on the device each part, and each pad has assigned a small sample I used just for the sake of it, because if I play external midi I can't record midi on the blackbox if there is no sample assigned. I checked if the issue was the clock, but it seems that the issue happen no matter what, either if I use the internal clock, the one from the midi connection or from USB.

Here is a video that show the issue. I would expect that the device can play all 16 pads with 4 notes max per pad, but if I am just using midi out, why does it behave this way?
    https://www.metacafe.com/watch/12159475/demo-video3/
    Last edited by pallozza; 01-14-2021, 08:42 PM.

Is there a way for someone to look into this? Is it a bug or is expected? From the look of it does not look "expected", since all the pads should behave the same and you should be able to record on all pads. Is there a specific process to file a bug, beside post it on the forum? Thanks

Comment

This is where to report things - it might help them to look into the problem if you could copy the preset folder (the one causing the problem) from your sd card, zip it and attach so they can test it

Comment

Originally posted by Rmg____ View Post
        This is where to report things - it might help them to look into the problem if you could copy the preset folder (the one causing the problem) from your sd card, zip it and attach so they can test it
        Thanks, although there is no link in your post

It can be reproduced with any sample; just slot 16 samples, set each pad to receive midi on a channel and send midi to the same channel; set the type of pad to sample with gate and poly x as options and record a bar using each tab. I just started recording, used keys to play a melody on pad 1, selected pad 2, played a melody and so on, until you record all the pads. by the time you get to pad 13 or 14, depending on the number of notes/chords and how long you hold down each note, the device will start to go out of sync and the buttons will flash as in the video I attached.

Comment

• Rmg____
          Rmg____ commented
          Editing a comment
          Ah I meant this forum, where you are posting

It looks like you are overwhelming the device. What version are you running?

EDIT: This is only MIDI, no samples right? It looks like these pads have some kind of dummy sample on them. Be sure to set the polyphony to mono.

Comment

Originally posted by Aaron View Post
          It looks like you are overwhelming the device. What version are you running?

EDIT: This is only MIDI, no samples right? It looks like these pads have some kind of dummy sample on them. Be sure to set the polyphony to mono.
          I see, so the flashing means stress.

I tried both with a sample and without, and when you have no sample the device does not record any midi; so I added a dummy sample (it is a 4K drum sample, so very small). I am running on 1.7.4, was on 1.7.3 until yesterday, then I updated to 1.7.4 but the issue is still there.
          I can try to set the samples to mono; I was not sure if when you play external synths that parameter is relevant or not

Comment

Try also muting the samples on the MIX INFO screen. See if that helps.

Comment

Are you using the original power supply adapter and cable that came with the device?

Comment

Originally posted by Aaron View Post
                Try also muting the samples on the MIX INFO screen. See if that helps.
                Just tried with mono instead of poly on all the pads; and the same thing happen. Same with mute-unmute; it seems that the device just start to suffer as soon as you play anything beyond 12 channels.

If I use single notes, I can get to 12-13 channels with minimal disruption and flashing; but if I start to use chords on each pad; or a lot of notes, that's what makes the device flash more and the audio fall behind considerably; to the point where you can see the progress bar just chugging and then stopping for a fraction of a second.

Maybe I can get some more computational power out of the cpu if I disable the effects? Although it seems that both effects can't be turned off.

Not sure what else to try; I would like to use the blackbox as sequencer but it seems that it was not made to be used on all 16 channels concurrently.

Comment

Originally posted by nas777 View Post
                  Are you using the original power supply adapter and cable that came with the device?
                  Yes, tried both with a 5A power bank and with the included brick connected to my wall plug; makes no difference whatsoever sadly

Comment

hello, I have the same kind of result.
                    See my last comments :
                    https://forum.1010music.com/forum/pr...age5#post20681

Comment

Originally posted by LLT_LLT View Post
                      hello, I have the same kind of result.
                      See my last comments :
                      https://forum.1010music.com/forum/pr...age5#post20681
                      Thanks; although I am not sure I get the connection.

The new firmware (which I have) should send more midi info to cover for 512 midi notes/events, so I am already on the new firmware and if that is the case, it means that my issue is not related to an overload of the event buffer then; but something else is "overloading" the device, of which I am not aware of (unless it is a bug).

Aaron; is there any way for me to get a log/debug of what the device is doing? Being a system based on ARM controllers, I assume you have a way to debug it via USB; unless your debugging is done via header on the board itself? I do have an Atmel ICE debugger that I can use, if you have more info about where to hook it up. Thanks

Comment

Cheers, Just sent out a support request for this issue.

I need to use all the available tracks, which is why I purchased the blackbox instead of a digitakt; so I hope it is just a matter of my unit being faulty.

Comment

I picked up my blackbox second-hand. When I first got it, it kept rebooting when stressed. The root of the issue for me was the usb cable I was using for power. I replaced the one with which the unit arrived with one that was a bit thicker, haven't had any issues since. Know you said you are using original power supply, but thought I would mention the cable as well.

Comment

Originally posted by arteom View Post
                            I picked up my blackbox second-hand. When I first got it, it kept rebooting when stressed. The root of the issue for me was the usb cable I was using for power. I replaced the one with which the unit arrived with one that was a bit thicker, haven't had any issues since. Know you said you are using original power supply, but thought I would mention the cable as well.
                            I wish it was just the cable; tried different cables and different power input but the issue does not seem to be power related in my case. I am tempted to try some old firmware and see if this is something that has always been there.

What does surprise me is that if the issue is not just on my device, and this is a limit of the Blackbox itself, there should be more reports about this. Although I find it hard to believe that if you have a device that has 16 pads, nobody ever tried to record all 16 pads playing in a pattern. Also I could not find specs on the max number of concurrent notes that the device support per track; the global number should be 512 notes/events in the latest firmware, and playing I don't think I even got close to it, since all I do is note-on and note-off with velocity for each note... No effects, no aftertouch, nothing else more than this.

I can check with something like midiox to see the number of notes and events going on, just to get a full idea about it; but I am inclined to think that I may be using not even a third of the 512 notes/events limit boundary.

Hopefully support will be able to investigate further and get to a solution; I bought the blackbox to use all its channels so I hope I will be able to do that soon.

Comment

Working...
                            X