X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Digitakt > Digitone > BlackBox

Hey all - new to forum!
    Will try again for the 100th time!!
    Best method to sync BlackBox into Elektron duo?
    Digitakt and Digitone. Digitakt is master clock synced to Digitone via 5Pin midi.

Thanks
    Last edited by Damien; 02-09-2021, 05:49 PM.

There is no best method.
    The question is what do you want to do?
    I send clock and transport out of the digitakt to the Blackbox over 5 pin and then send midi out from the Blackbox to multiple synths with a splitter.
    you could do the same.
    but what’s your workflow, Boss?

Comment

• Damien
      Damien commented
      Editing a comment
      Yes you could say that’s true ...
      I use the DT as the main hub, as said - DT is master clock and send to DN. I create Bass lines with DN working from DT Beats. I would like to utilise the BB for lengthy samples to be played into the aforementioned process as background references - liked a layered montage of samples laying subtly underneath .... and when needed - to instigate a tempo change etc ... hope that makes sense.

I’m also a little confused about the audio out for the BB whilst syncing with the DT

For like $9 on Amazon there’s a SinLoon midi splitter cable. Very handy. plug that into the DT out and send clock and transport to both the DN and the bb. You’ll need at least a shot M-M midi cable for each.
    After a while, it will likely dawn on you if you want to do something else
    alternatively, skip the splitter and go
    DT out -> DN in, DN Thru -> bb in.
    or or or
    dt out -> bb in, bb out-> DN in.
    now keep in mind, bb doesn’t support thru, not exactly, so this would work ok if you’re using bb sequences to play the DN. But I’d probably use the DN thru to bb, in your case.

what’s confusing you about the audio?

Comment

• Damien
      Damien commented
      Editing a comment
      Ahh thanks man! So greatly appreciated ...
      why does this forum delete half of my darn message?!?

• Damien
      Damien commented
      Editing a comment
      I’m about to update the firmware now

• Damien
      Damien commented
      Editing a comment
      I also have a midi Thru box to use as well if need be.

Originally posted by shankiphonic View Post
    DT out -> DN in, DN Thru -> bb in.
    Just to clarify would this be the correct BB MIDI in?

Comment

• shankiphonic
      shankiphonic commented
      Editing a comment
      Sorry I missed this.
      Yes that's input for midi. And clock will come in on that port too, as long as you're sending it from DT, and your BB Clock Source is set to MIDI In.

shankiphonic
    so should I see the BB automatically sync in top right timeline when I start the DT thru the DN? It doesn’t seem to be syncing correctly for some reason as I do not see that? I have a male midi cable out of the DN out into the small midi 5 pin female to 3.5mm cable supplied …
    Last edited by Damien; 05-02-2021, 03:39 AM.

Comment

• shankiphonic
      shankiphonic commented
      Editing a comment
      I'm not sure what visual indicator you're looking for. Unless it's something I'm numb to, there is none that I know of.
      Say your managing clock and transport with the digitakt only, when you hit play, the blackbox should start playing
      note that the blackbox bpm indicator does NOT change to reflect the external clock. so if you're rocking at 90 bpm on the digitakt, and you've got sync, you can be rolling on the blackbox at 90 bpm also, regardless of whether the bb clock says 80, 90, or 120.

take note, I've only connected the digitakt and the blackbox over MIDI, not usb. I saw some comments recently about difficulties with USB - I have nothing to offer there.

First - see if you can get transport working with just the digitakt and the blackbox. that's digitakt midi out to blackbox midi in.
      on the digitakt, load up a project and activate transport out and clock out. load up a preset on the black box. when you hit play on the DT, the bb should play.
      once you've got that working, consider introducing the digitone.
Working...
X