Slicer playthrough drift

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Slicer playthrough drift

with playthrough on, some samples seem to be dropped each time the playhead crosses a slice, with the result that the sample goes out of time the more slices are played.

this is an issue especially for samples where you don't have a precise bar length and so cannot use sync

-load loopmasters>loops>drums&perc>full drum loops>aald 120 full drums 21 into 2 pads
    -pad1: sample mode, gate trigger
    -pad 2: slicer, threshold 25, gate trigger, playthru on
    -press and hold both pads at once, beats go out of time towards the end

example project:

here's a new example pset https://www.dropbox.com/s/pobrpp09cz...YTHRU.zip?dl=0
    apologies in advance for the musical quality of this
    to explain, sequence 2 is the sample played simply by gate mode with a long note. it plays it perfectly in sync
    sequence 3 is sequencing the sliced sample, at the start it plays various individual slices and sounds ok, but as soon as a note is held to play a longer part of the original sample (in theory should sound the same as sequence 2) it plays too fast, goes out of time
    thanks!

Comment

Hi, is it acknowledged as an issue? Thanks

Comment

I've made a CC-based slice number matrix in PureData. (iOS compatible with PdParty)

Use it to change the slice number of a sliced sample.
        The BlackBox limits you to searching for the slice number using​ the encoder, this matrix allows you to jump to the slice directly.
        This allows one to treat sliced samples as clips (the slice is triggered and looped by a sequence, and stays synced).

Here:
        BB-CC_MATRIX.pd.zip

Click image for larger version  Name:	Screenshot 2021-03-31 at 15.26.34.png Views:	3 Size:	197.4 KB ID:	23577
        Attached Files
        Last edited by Michal Ho; 03-31-2021, 05:46 AM.

Comment

hey, how does it work? I don't work with a computer though so I won't be able to use it, thanks though

Comment

It works on iPhone and iPad.
            You load this patch into a free app called PdParty. This app also runs on Android, but MIDI is usually shaky there.
            The iOS device needs a MIDI connection to the Blackbox.

Comment

ah, I appreciate it and it looks v useful - I'm not trying to use sync though- just load into slicer > slice > turn on playthru. the sliced sample plays differently than non sliced (speeds up)

Comment

I work around the tempo drift by retriggering the slice's pad with a sequence at specific intervals (e.g. 1 bar).

Comment

aha sorry I didn't quite figure out how it would fix the timing drift but I see now.
                  So I like to sequence with the mc707, I guess I could figure out which slices land on the beat and sequence them via midi notes to sort of reset the drift. A bit tedious but I see how it should work. Only thing which sucks is if I want to change the starting slice that's triggered I need to change all the 'correction' notes too

Comment

Originally posted by Rmg____ View Post
                    example project:

here's a new example pset https://www.dropbox.com/s/pobrpp09cz...YTHRU.zip?dl=0
                    apologies in advance for the musical quality of this
                    to explain, sequence 2 is the sample played simply by gate mode with a long note. it plays it perfectly in sync
                    sequence 3 is sequencing the sliced sample, at the start it plays various individual slices and sounds ok, but as soon as a note is held to play a longer part of the original sample (in theory should sound the same as sequence 2) it plays too fast, goes out of time
                    thanks!
                    There is a lot to unpack here. here is what I found:

1. your Seq 2 is a Pad sequence and Seq 3 is a Keys sequence. This should not matter but it appears that it does at the moment.

I can see there is something not right but am still working to figure out the underlying cause in order to fix it. Please use a Pad sequence for this. Thanks for reporting - we are working on it!

Comment

Hi Steve, thanks for looking into it!
                      I followed the steps listed in the first post and then sequenced 2 long pad notes (one for each test pad), but the drift still occurs so I don't think it's keys mode causing it - it also happens when you trigger the pads with your fingers

Comment

• Steve
                        Steve commented
                        Editing a comment
                        it really depends on a few things. For instance, I was able to get your seq 3 to sync (mostly) properly by adjusting the BeatCount to something other than Auto. Also, your sliced sample (pad 14) did not have the Sync parameter set to ON. I am still working through this but there is something going on. Thanks for reporting and sending the preset.

• Rmg____
                        Rmg____ commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Yeah I left sync off intentionally because I'd like to use slicer and playthrough on samples which are not perfectly cut to a certain number of bars, and I don't think sync will work in that situation. I think slicer with playthu should theoretically work the same as playing a sample with a set start point, and each slice equals a different start point. but at the moment the more slices you have the more out of time the sample becomes

• Steve
                        Steve commented
                        Editing a comment
                        If you use irregular length audio files, slice, or do not use sync - I would not expect those two samples to play in time. Trimming your audio file and using sync fixed it for me. However, there is still something different on my end when using a long note in Pads vs Keys sequence but I am still hunting that one.

aha sorry I didn't quite figure out how it would fix the timing drift but I see now.
                      If you grid slice the sample, for example 128 bars to 128 slices, you can send a single note per bar from the MC707. Just trigger the Pad where the slice lives.
                      You can then jump to any of the 128 bars' starting beat via the CC matrix, the rest of the bar will be played out according to the length of the sequence.
                      If you need higher resolution than 1 bar, use a 64bar sample, 32 bar, 16 bar, etc.
                      That is how I use it, as a 'divisible' clip mode. (like Ableton clips, or Octatrack slice mode)

So I like to sequence with the mc707, I guess I could figure out which slices land on the beat and sequence them via midi notes to sort of reset the drift. A bit tedious but I see how it should work. Only thing which sucks is if I want to change the starting slice that's triggered I need to change all the 'correction' notes too
                      If you want to move 'auto scan' slices around, you'd probably want to offset whole groups of CCs by a value set by the slice number, that could be done in Pd too.

Comment

Working...
                      X