corrupt samples

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• corrupt samples

just wanted to report this so it's out there. seeing samples become corrupt after they have been recorded. in one instance I get blaring static that has replaced a short (less than a second) section of the sample. What's stranger is another sample is playing a recording from a sample from more recent preset, again for just a very brief moment. But listening to it a few times I was able to identify it. I'm running 1.7.F.

something very wrong here. finding more and more samples that either have section overwritten by another sample (always the same sample) or just blaring static. The part that is overwriting others is a very short section of a song that was recorded via resample as the blackbox played a preset. Every one of my presets affected. easily identified the ones with static using audacity, ones damaged by being recorded over will be harder to spot :/. well this sucks. going to backup, reformat, and reflash, and hope to never see this again.

Comment

• Steve
      Steve commented
      Editing a comment
      Sorry to hear this. Can you send one of these presets? I do think a complete refresh is the correct next move. Please keep us posted.

Hi Steve

Sure have uploaded it here - https://drive.google.com/file/d/10Lz...ew?usp=sharing

If you load all the wav files into audacity or whatever app you might use you will see the spikes in the audio spectrum of the files that were affected, corresponding to blaring static I was stalking about. Think there may be two in this preset. Longer samples (32 bars +) were more susceptible to becoming corrupt. Lucky for me I have a habit of duplicating presets to get more sequences, for many of my presets I was able to recover samples from the duplicate preset. Some were also a recording of a song playing (using resample), which I can just re-record. Appreciate the support, have reformatted and reflashed at this point. Will let you know if problem returns.

Comment

• Steve
      Steve commented
      Editing a comment
      That is all good info. Any details you can provide about what you were doing leading up to this issue is also helpful. We can live with various things for various reasons but data loss is not one of those. We take this issue seriously. Thanks for your cooperation.

On 4/8 I recorded some samples on my computer, which I then transferred to the blackbox. Some 4-5 days later on the blackbox I had a track done, which I recorded on the blackbox using Resample, as the song played. It was a very short part of this recording that ended up overwriting some samples as I had earlier mentioned. Also when I started to notice the blaring static, I noticed that some of those recent samples which I had just transferred over had become corrupt with the static maybe 3-4 out of 10. So it all had happened very recently. One possibility is that me recording that song using Resample is what caused the issue. You might try and replicate this by having a full song play while you record via resample. I can also send you the preset which may have caused the issues I reported, you would just need to have a pad resampling it while it plays through its song sections. Let me know.

Comment

• Steve
      Steve commented
      Editing a comment
      Yes. Please send the preset.

Forgive me if you have answered this, but how do you format your microSD cards? Which software tool, specifically, do you use?

• arteom
      arteom commented
      Editing a comment
      Steve, ​​​​​​

Sent you the preset. I formatted in Windows 10, just by right clicking the SD card and selecting format, quick format. Set to exFat. It's a 256gb Sandisk extreme a2. Let me know if you recommend formatting another way.

• Georges
      Georges commented
      Editing a comment
      Steve recommends in this sticky topic to use SD Card Formatter and not simply the OS’s facility for formatting: https://forum.1010music.com/forum/pr...ard-comparison

I’ve followed this advice since I’ve received my blackbox 1.5 years ago and I haven’t encountered your issue so far (*touching wood*).

This happened again. Was working on putting a track together. Working in a sequence that was 160 steps, set to 1 bar length. Working with clips, some 16 bars, some very long (128 bars). It was all going fine, went to record a 4 bar clip. Recorded fine.

Then I get blaring static in my earphones. Two other clips in this preset were corrupt at certain points. Same for another preset from the same project (earlier save). Luckily I was able to recover one of the corrupt clips from the earlier preset, and then piece together the other one which was really long clip (both clips from both presets were corrupt, but at different times). What really gets at me though is other presets were corrupted by this event. Looking through some of them now in Audacity seeing blaring noise in odd samples from other projects.

This is really alarming, had hoped this problem was in the past. Really puts a sour taste in ones mouth, I have an SD card full of corrupt samples..

Click image for larger version

Name:	Untitled.jpg
Views:	136
Size:	48.8 KB
ID:	29369

Comment

• Georges
      Georges commented
      Editing a comment
      Unless there is an issue with the way the bb’s OS handles writing long samples to the sd card or to an sd card of such a size (256gb), this does smell more like an sd card issue.

For independent testing purposes, you should maybe try to see what happens when using another similar or better performing sd card (formatted with sd card formatter). I use a 128gb card, I think the same specs as your’s otherwise.

Furthermore, following a backup of your sd card’s content, check using Windows’s diagnostics tool whether the said sd card contains bad sectors or any other kinds of errors.

For example, what I’ve noticed is that an sd card is more prone to errors if you remove it from a computer without ejecting it using the OS’s specific function for this purpose (unless of course read-only mode). Other times, my ipad pro sometimes manages to corrupt some sectors on an sd card - I do not yet know when exactly.
      Last edited by Georges; 11-14-2021, 03:29 AM.

• arteom
      arteom commented
      Editing a comment
      Georges, yeah at this point I think it would be sensible to take a look at the SD card. Today will backup everything, reformat, then test it. Ultimately I don't know that I will want to use the same card. I'm not fully convinced that it's the SD card, but getting this particular card out of the picture will help further isolate the issue should it return.

• Georges
      Georges commented
      Editing a comment
      Check that card for errors first before reusing and try your luck with sd card formatter. Beyond that, be careful when using the card in any other device than bb: use read-only mode whenever possible or check for errors regularly.

I haven't come across this since last time, but wanted to put this down for later reference or maybe as a question to developers. So one thing I haven't mentioned and not sure if factors into my previous issues is I will in some cases take a clip and process it through izotope to do whatever it is that izotope does. I will name that new [processed] clip same as old, and put it in the preset directory. My thinking being that as far as blackbox is concerned it's the same file as the old one, with the name being the same. I haven't done this practice more recently, I now normally process only finished tracks. But wonder just the same if it this might be partly what caused the corrupt sample issues I was experiencing..

Comment

Working...
    X