X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • rev-eng
    • May 2021

Notes not appearing in piano roll

When I record into a sequence with an external keyboard, once I'm done they only show up on the piano roll if I leave the sequence and re-enter it. Anyone else?
  • Aaron
    Administrator
    • Aug 2017

There is a hard limit of something like 512 notes per sequencer as of version 1.7.F. Does this explain the problem?

Comment

• rev-eng
      • May 2021

No, this is happening with just with a few notes

Comment

• dluisvoz
        • Apr 2021

This still happens to me all the time, but without external midi. I’ll live record pad hits, when will then not appear anywhere in the sequence, whether it be the pads or keys section. Can’t delete it either. Replace the sound and there is still this ghost midi pattern playing the sound which cannot be found. Have tested this multiple ways. No external gear, just BB.

Comment

• rev-eng
          • May 2021

Still happening for me as well. Can't seem to work out a pattern to reliably replicate it but it happens regularly. I'll try and record a video of the error next time and post it

Comment

• Steve
            Admin
            • Nov 2019

Which firmware version (as a number) are you using?

Comment

• rev-eng
              • May 2021

1.7.F

Happened again earlier. Only correlation I can see is that it seems to be overdubs that create these ghost notes when they are deleted. They show on the SEQ screen but not on the piano roll for the sequence and always sound. They were still there after a restart

Comment

• rev-eng
                • May 2021

I've made some videos of the weird MIDI behaviour in my Blackbox. Excuse the length but I can't work out the common factor in this behaviour so I just filmed and fiddled until it happened, because it always does. The behaviour being shown is:
                1. Recorded notes playing but not showing up in the SEQ view - https://photos.app.goo.gl/CSvQgnyeUNN9hwA59
                2. 'Ghost Notes' still playing when deleted from the SEQ - https://photos.app.goo.gl/iP8mcsvCeqhcDmhQA
                My setup is fairly complex but the pertinent bit for these demos is:

Argon8 in/out on CH1 via Pad 1, Minilogue XD in/outon CH2 via Pad 2. QuNeo acting as MIDI keyboard and switching between those channels as required, plugged into BB USB Device port. (Note I had the same erroneous behaviour using a regular MIDI keyboard). MIDI out of BB TRS, passing thru a NDLR.

Comment

• rev-eng
                  • May 2021

at :59 you switch to sequence 1 but are still sending sequence data to the XD pad. Check the grid in the upper left & right corners inside a sequence to verify that you are looking at the correct view. I'm not suggesting this explains everything I am seeing but I want to be sure you see that. How is MIDI set up? Global and Pad level?
                  Yes, still sending sequence data to the XD via Seq 2 when I switch. Seq 1 is only sequencing Pad 1 which is controlling the Argon8. Seq 2 is only sequencing Pad 2 which is controlling the XD. I checked the corners.
                  Pad 1 is sending and receiving MIDI on CH1, Pad 2 on CH2. The Argon8 and XD are receiving on CH1 & 2 respectively. Seqs aren't sending MIDI separately. BB MIDI Pads is CH7, Keys is CH8. The QuNeo is transmitting MIDI on CH's 1 or 2 via different presets in this demo, I switch preset when switching Seq to record into that Seq only.

I need a better understanding of your MIDI routing. If you are sending and receiving to/from the same device on the same channel, you may be creating an issue.
                  The MIDI path is one way, as detailed below. The synths are not sending note data back to the Blackbox.

QuNeo (acting as keyboard / controller) --> BB USB
                  BB TRS OUT --> NDLR MIDI B IN*
                  NDLR MIDI B OUT* --> MIDI THRU BOX
                  MIDI THRU BOX 1 --> Argon8 IN, THRU --> ADX1 IN, THRU --> XOX 303 IN, THRU --> XD
                  MIDI THRU BOX 2 --> 0-Coast
                  MIDI THRU BOX 3 --> NTS-1
                  NDLR MIDI A OUT* --> BB TRS IN

* the NDLR sends MIDI thru, so IN A goes thru OUT A, IN B goes thru OUT B. It also transmits its own MIDI notes/cc's, but it wasn't doing so for the demo videos. Nothing is connected to NDLR IN A. OUT A is connected to BB so I can record sequences from the NDLR by sending them out of A rather than B on the NDLR itself.

There is a separate MIDI routing for the Bluebox but it's completely isolated from this one.

Comment

• Steve
                    Steve commented
                    Editing a comment
                    When you say "tap some notes in for the Argon" you are not doing that. You are in seq 1 but still sending those new notes to the XD pad.

In terms of MIDI settings - I need to understand the channels you are using, and where. I also need to know your pad level MIDI and global MIDI settings on the blackbox.

• Steve
                    Steve commented
                    Editing a comment
                    What (specifically) is being sent back to the blackbox MIDI IN?
                • rev-eng
                  • May 2021

test (just lost an entire post...)

EDIT: no I didn't, something funny happened. As you were
                  Last edited by rev-eng; 08-10-2021, 11:56 AM.

Comment

• Steve
                    Steve commented
                    Editing a comment
                    I'm going to move this to a new thread. I do not know what happened here!
                • rev-eng
                  • May 2021

When you say "tap some notes in for the Argon" you are not doing that. You are in seq 1 but still sending those new notes to the XD pad.
                  But I'm playing via the MIDI keyboard which is transmitting on CH1 (ie Pad 1 / Argon). I can't quite get my head around this. Does it mean that if I have a pad selected, the seq that's controlling that pad will receive notes even if those notes are coming in on a channel that that pad isn't set to receive on?

In terms of MIDI settings - I need to understand the channels you are using, and where. I also need to know your pad level MIDI and global MIDI settings on the blackbox.
                  QuNeo (acting as keyboard / controller with a preset per MIDI channel) --> BB USB
                  BB TRS OUT --> NDLR MIDI B IN*
                  NDLR MIDI B OUT* --> MIDI THRU BOX
                  MIDI THRU BOX 1 --> Argon8 IN (CH1), THRU --> ADX1 IN (CH4), THRU --> XOX 303 IN (CH3), THRU --> XD (CH2)
                  MIDI THRU BOX 2 --> 0-Coast (CH5)
                  MIDI THRU BOX 3 --> NTS-1 (CH6)
                  NDLR MIDI A OUT* --> BB TRS IN

BB PAD 1 SEND CH1, RECEIVE CH1
                  BB PAD 2 SEND CH1, RECEIVE CH2
                  BB PAD 3 SEND CH1, RECEIVE CH3
                  BB PAD 4 SEND CH1, RECEIVE CH4

GLOBAL MIDI PADS: CH7
                  GLOBAL MIDI KEYS: CH8

What (specifically) is being sent back to the blackbox MIDI IN?
                  Note and CC data from the NDLR, but only when told to do so. The NDLR is a fancy arpeggiator, essentially. You can output patterns on 2 MIDI DIN channels. I use OUT A to send to the BB so I can record the NDLR's patterns. Nothing is being sent via this in the demo.

Comment

• Steve
                    Admin
                    • Nov 2019

There may be a bug in here. However, I need to unwrap your MIDI routing to make sure we go down the correct path.

What I am saying is - when you touch to enter notes, you are entering in the currently displayed seq. At :59 you say "enter notes for Argon 8 " but you are touching a sequence that is not pointed at the Argon Pad. I am guessing the incoming MIDI is going to that pad - and then being recorded. I just want to make sure we are on the same page. It might help to try again but either enter notes from the touchscreen or from an external controller.

It is really difficult to diagnose an issue from afar but I am suspicious of your Pad MIDI settings. The blackbox does not have a traditional MIDI THRU. So all of the data sent to CH 1 (over 4 pads) is also being echoed on CH 1. Example - pad 3 is receiving MIDI on Ch 3 and sending that same data on Ch 1.

I did not see this in the video but using the Global Keys could also cause overlap if you are not careful about pad selection. In addition, a currently selected sequence will also THRU all data sent to it.

FWIW, I do believe there is an issue with the piano roll and seq overview not updating properly. We have addressed it once in the past but may need to revisit. In order to know for sure, we need to isolate it.

Comment

• rev-eng
                      • May 2021

Yes, you're right about the pad selection re. touch vs incoming MIDI. The issue I'm encountering usually happens with incoming MIDI which is always on the channel for the synth I want to control, but not always with the synths pad selected. So it seems there could be unexpected (to me!) routings going on - the incoming MIDI is routed through its corresponding pad, and also through the selected pads MIDI out?

What's odd is that, even with the wrong pad selected, these issues don't happen every time. Although I'm going to try some more experiments to try and tie it down.

​​​​​​

Comment

• Steve
                        Admin
                        • Nov 2019

Have you tried setting MIDI Out at the Sequence level and not the Pad level?

Comment

Working...
                        X