Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Downsizing Multisampled instruments to minimmize sample slots? Best Way?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Downsizing Multisampled instruments to minimmize sample slots? Best Way?

I have downloaded some really great sounding multisampled instruments that have like 20+ samples in them. For instance from Samples from Mars.
    However, when I try to create a preset for a song, and load one of these into the preset that has multiple other instruments, I run into the "sample slots full" problem.
    I know I don't "need" that many samples, so I want to make an alternate version of some of these multisampled instruments with fewer samples.
    Will that work?
    What is the best way to do this?
    How many samples and how many intervals (ie I, V, etc.) do I need to get a pretty good version of the multisample pack. As the telegram guy in Three Amigos says, the "10 peso version." (I do realize there will be some sound quality loss when I start taking away samples)
    Any feedback is great.
    Thanks!
    Steve

The best way is to thin those sets on your computer before loading them to the blackbox. In terms of quality, Samples from Mars makes great content (I own it all). So you will only need to use the number of samples you actually need. For example, if you need an octave of Bass - you can likely get away with 4 samples and it will sound fine. However, some synths have modulation applied across octaves so those might require more samples per octave.

I usually try to narrow down the actual range needed and build from there. Start with fewer samples and add as needed. You get 64 samples per pad or 80 per preset - whichever comes first. This (hopefully) lets you plan accordingly.

Comment

Thank you for your response. Good to know it is easiest to do this all via the computer. Some stuff I've gotten through Samples from Mars (waiting til black friday to by the whole catalogue at the crazy discount) is insanely high quality but contains like 70 samples just for one melodic instrument. I'll make abridged versions for my faves.

Comment

Originally posted by Seteef View Post
        Thank you for your response. Good to know it is easiest to do this all via the computer. Some stuff I've gotten through Samples from Mars (waiting til black friday to by the whole catalogue at the crazy discount) is insanely high quality but contains like 70 samples just for one melodic instrument. I'll make abridged versions for my faves.
        as a fellow samples from mars consumer, I can attest that after you get a kit from there, it's absolutely necessary to "curate" a blackbox specific folder on the computer before loading it up on the blackbox (or any sampler really - I can't imagine anything would be easier)

Comment

I hope you don't mind me opening this thread again.
          I'm in my first week of Blackbox bonanza and also have almost the entire SfM-library on my computer.
          If I understood you all correctly I'd certainly need to prep those folders with a handful of notes for each instrument and copy those folders onto the SD card - so far that makes sense. Here comes the novice question: How would make that a multisampled instrument on my Blackbox? What do I need to do then?
          Thank you all!
          Cheers,
          p.

Comment

A multisample requires that each wav have the Root Note written as a wavtag. You can do this in the box or use other software. The box looks at those root note tags to determine the mapping.

check this video for more details https://youtu.be/RERHQPz2rpc

Comment

Working...
            X