Firmware 2.0 Issues

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Firmware 2.0 Issues

I use Blackbox for making soundscapes with long samples i trigger from a the pads of a midi controller (AKAI LPD 8) and i use the pots for individual volume for up to 8 pads/samples.

The samples are at used in gate mode and with loop (foreward or bidirectional). Sometimes i use different pads to trigger the samples and sometimes i use one pad/note for triggering more samples at once.

After installing firmware 2.0 i have had major issues.

When i play more samples at the same time (maybe more than 5) i sometimes get a system crash where the sound disapears and instead i get a very loud click, like a 4/4 basdrum (a killer for large soundsystems)

Sometimes the samples just seems to disappear and does not play or show in the visual sample display.

This has happened with USB Power Bank as well with a 220 PSU. The only solution is to unplug the power and make a restart.

It typically happens after 10-30 min

best regards

Henning

Sorry to hear this. A few questions for you:
    1. What version were you running previously?
    2. Have you tried the new option: "SD Mode: Compatible" in the TOOLS main section?
    Thank you.

Comment

I´ve been using 1.9 beta before - didnt notice this,but i did not use it for long time

I will try the new option SD Mode Compatible

Thank you

Comment

I have now tried to reinstall 2.0

I have chosen SD mode Compatible

I still get the unwanted noise after some time (5-10 min) of endless looping. I can stop the noise by pressing the stop button (and not only by removing power) and starting again prom the AKAI Pads.

I also tried to install a 1.7 and the same problem was there although it sounded different

I am using a 5,3 V, 1.5 A Power Supply, could it be the PSU is to small ?

Comment

Just tried with another USB PSU, 2.5 A and another USB cable - same problem :-(

Comment

Hi

I found out that i´ve been using some samples with different sample freq, so i converted alle samples to 48K - still the same problem, but then after a 2.0 reinstall i havnt had any issues yet. I hope this solves the problem.

Comment

I'm having an issue using my external controller - Novation Launch Control XL via the Device port. I've used this in all previous versions without trouble but since installed 2.0 it just starts to power cycle the BB. Without the device port connected everything functions fine so far, but I'm in need of using this controller to perform live. It is not a powered controller and I'm using the same (supplied with unit) power cable and brick that came with the BB. I'm also using the same supplied Novation USB cable I've always used. I have not resorted to trying other cables yet.

Other workaround options that are not preferred for me - use a powered USB hub or use my Kenton USB-MIDI converter to go into the MIDI port instead of the device port. Either adds another piece of gear to my kit so I'd rather avoid if this is fixable somehow. Thanks!

Comment

• Steve
                Steve commented
                Editing a comment
                is your XL in Low-Power mode?

From the manual:

Note: To do this hold down both the User and Factory Template buttons and insert the USB cable. Release the Template buttons and press ‘Record Arm’.* Finally press the right arrow button.

The Launch Control XL is now in low power mode. This setting is remembered even if the power is disconnected.
                * To put the Launch Control XL back into full power mode repeat the above process but press ‘Solo’ instead of ‘Record Arm’.

For the sake of anyone else reading this, when connecting a controller via USB, it is critical to have the right USB cables and enough power. We recommend our included power supply and USB cable to start with.

Regarding the sound getting stuck and being resolved by pressing the stop button, we would love to see a preset that demonstrates the problem. After that, a video would be our next choice to help us understand what is going on.

Comment

I would like to send you a preset, but the issue has gone away after i reformatted SD card, used only 48K samples and made a fresh 2.0 install. So far so good :-)

Comment

Anyone else using long files finding navigation almost impossible in V2? I've only recently started using it but screen updates are glacial and often the screen just gives in trying to update, especially if I'm trying to set the start point, say, half-way through a very long recording. I'm using Compatibility mode.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2653.JPG
Views:	291
Size:	2.36 MB
ID:	28846

Comment

major noise from left record input, running in compatible mode... videos on the fb group

Comment

• Steve
                      Steve commented
                      Editing a comment
                      the Facebook group is a user group. You'll need to post here for support.

An issue I'm having lately is a new one: the BlackBox boots not into the last-used preset but the first in the list. I'm not aware of doing anything new, was used to it booting how I left it but now it doesn't. Weird huh?

Comment

• Steve
                      Steve commented
                      Editing a comment
                      maybe a silly question....did you change the card? have you looked at the settings file? Is the correct preset in the top chunk of info?

Originally posted by softroom View Post
                    An issue I'm having lately is a new one: the BlackBox boots not into the last-used preset but the first in the list. I'm not aware of doing anything new, was used to it booting how I left it but now it doesn't. Weird huh?
                    I haven't done anything different. My usage is simple: I turn on, create a new preset, record some stuff, save it, switch off. In the past it always booted back up with the pset I was working on, now it doesn't. I'll look at the settings file.

Comment

• Steve
                      Steve commented
                      Editing a comment
                      maybe delete that settings file and let the device create a new copy. or it could likely be MicroSD-related.

Originally posted by softroom View Post

I haven't done anything different. My usage is simple: I turn on, create a new preset, record some stuff, save it, switch off. In the past it always booted back up with the pset I was working on, now it doesn't. I'll look at the settings file.
                    Thanks Steve, I will. I think it's a relatively new card - hard to keep track, what with having three BBs, a rubbish filing system and an old man brain. I really should invest in some kind of 'microsafe' with some proper labelling. (You know, at least on an old floppy disk there was room to write something. )

BTW I wrote a short love letter to the BB a while back which may amuse you:
                    https://www.soundonsound.com/people/...music-blackbox

Cheers!
                    Last edited by softroom; 11-24-2021, 12:34 AM.

Comment

• Steve
                      Steve commented
                      Editing a comment
                      That was a great article. We enjoyed reading it!

I powered up today and for the first time in a while it booted up as expected, to the most recent song. I was just about to extract the card and look at stuff, now it seems to have got better by itself. At least I know what to look for should it recur, thanks.

Comment

• Aaron
                      Aaron commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Thanks for the Sound on Sound article. We did enjoy that when it came out. Glad to hear things are working now. Please let us know if that changes.
                  Working...
                  X