Tuning issue with some samples

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tuning issue with some samples

I’m noticing a lot of the sample tunings that come with the blackbox are off by one or two semitones. For instance I’m looking at one now under SoundtrackLoops/Chillwave…the sample is called SY L Chillwave Synth C. The root note displayed under Config settings is C3. But the note being played when I audition the sample appears to be an E.

Root note aside, when I play a note, whether I’m using the Blackbox keys or using my digital piano as a controller, the note I’m hearing isn’t the note I’m playing. Not every sample does this, but I’m finding a lot that do. It renders these samples pretty much unusable…what am I missing?

Welcome to the forum

Originally posted by Hudspace View Post
    I’m noticing a lot of the sample tunings that come with the blackbox are off by one or two semitones. For instance I’m looking at one now under SoundtrackLoops/Chillwave…the sample is called SY L Chillwave Synth C. The root note displayed under Config settings is C3. But the note being played when I audition the sample appears to be an E.
    the root note setting does not change the content in the wave file, Instead, root note indicates the physical key (MIDI note) that will trigger this particular sample when loaded in a multisample pad.

Root note aside, when I play a note, whether I’m using the Blackbox keys or using my digital piano as a controller, the note I’m hearing isn’t the note I’m playing. Not every sample does this, but I’m finding a lot that do. It renders these samples pretty much unusable…what am I missing?
    Can you provide more details? Examples are useful. Or the steps to reproduce the issue you are seeing. Please include the firmware version (as a number) and the microSD card specs.

Comment

Well, here’s the thing. I just fired up my BB along with a camera setup; was gonna shoot a demo video for you…and those samples I was having trouble with are now playing the correct tunings. So…hard reset seems to have done the trick

Comment

Happy to hear it is working. let us know if you see this again.

Comment

Hi, so this problem is persisting. I’m on version 2.0.5 and the example I’m currently looking at is the Fat Brass sample under SympleSounds. I’m comparing it to the House Piano sample, which is tuned correctly….every Fat Brass note is consistently playing four semitones higher. The micoSD card is a Kingston 32gb; not sure if that’s the one that came with the unit or not.

The Fat Brass sample is not the only one doing this; I’ve noticed it with several.

Comment

Which controller are you using? How are you connected to the blackbox?

Use a tuner and audition the wav files from the loading screen. For example, when you audition Fatbrass-59.wav your tuner should register a B3 and it should be in tune. You might also consider updating your firmware. 2.0.5 was a transitional period and various things have been fixed. 2.1.2 is the most current firmware. Check the release notes for the details.

Comment

Ok thank you, might be a couple days but I will try these and report back.

Comment

Hi Steve, just updated the firmware and went through about twenty random samples. Tuning seems consistent throughout so that must have been the problem. Thanks for your help.

Comment

Working...
                X