Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Tutorial/Doc Request for Bars, Steps, Quantization for Step and Organic examples

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• j3threejay
    replied
    Originally posted by schorsch View Post
    I find the introductory videos and v 2.0 manual rather thought out, clear and concise.
    However the concept of bars, steps, quantization spans different areas as pads, samples, sequences possibly even song and are (to my knowledge) never addressed and explained in a general/focused and practical way. At least not on the countless official or unofficial "channels", docs and videos I have stumbled upon so far.

Would someone be able to somewhat put things into practical context for us newcomers or people who haven't been sitting in a drum-machine (with possibly somewhat different implementations of bars/steps/quantization anyways) in a while?

For example: Is there a way or practical example/recommendation to work in a more organic/hip-hop styled fashion? I'm usually more of an electronic/techno/retrodisco head, but enjoy more organic beats as well. Maybe I'm "slightly" spoiled with hands-on memories of the roland mv-8800, or the maschine, and no one knows these exotic machines anyways - most probably similar to how MPC's do their thing. I just don't recollect having to mess with things like increasing step/grid-count to impractically high numbers just to get somewhat of a more organic or freeform, but still quantized... feel while live-recording beats.

It's been a long time and I'm not an expert at all; But thinking consciously and retrospect I guess those kinds of "swing" possibly "allowed" for a certain tolerance/treshold off the grid.. even while recording? Or at least after the recording to bring more natural grooves. I've been trying different sizes/steps/quantizations/grids, with step ON or OFF... without much satisfying results so far. I'm maybe doing something completely wrong in terms of bar, more granular stepsizes, quantize and bpm? It always sounds extremely robotic or straight out shifted and off. Part of it certainly me not being used to the metronome. But I think it's mostly a settings and holistic understanding and interaction issue.

What do hip-hop-heads working and live-recording beats in a more granular fashion recommend?
    Is the 1-99% next to BPM in song view... some sort of global "swing" I suppose, or what is that value/function exactly?
    Yes in the Song menu there is a swing percentage. This will be a game changer for you in regards to sounding less robotic.
    I write House music, and I like anywhere from 58%-67% myself depending on how much swing I want

Leave a comment:

• Tutorial/Doc Request for Bars, Steps, Quantization for Step and Organic examples

I find the introductory videos and v 2.0 manual rather thought out, clear and concise.
    However the concept of bars, steps, quantization spans different areas as pads, samples, sequences possibly even song and are (to my knowledge) never addressed and explained in a general/focused and practical way. At least not on the countless official or unofficial "channels", docs and videos I have stumbled upon so far.

Would someone be able to somewhat put things into practical context for us newcomers or people who haven't been sitting in a drum-machine (with possibly somewhat different implementations of bars/steps/quantization anyways) in a while?

For example: Is there a way or practical example/recommendation to work in a more organic/hip-hop styled fashion? I'm usually more of an electronic/techno/retrodisco head, but enjoy more organic beats as well. Maybe I'm "slightly" spoiled with hands-on memories of the roland mv-8800, or the maschine, and no one knows these exotic machines anyways - most probably similar to how MPC's do their thing. I just don't recollect having to mess with things like increasing step/grid-count to impractically high numbers just to get somewhat of a more organic or freeform, but still quantized... feel while live-recording beats.

It's been a long time and I'm not an expert at all; But thinking consciously and retrospect I guess those kinds of "swing" possibly "allowed" for a certain tolerance/treshold off the grid.. even while recording? Or at least after the recording to bring more natural grooves. I've been trying different sizes/steps/quantizations/grids, with step ON or OFF... without much satisfying results so far. I'm maybe doing something completely wrong in terms of bar, more granular stepsizes, quantize and bpm? It always sounds extremely robotic or straight out shifted and off. Part of it certainly me not being used to the metronome. But I think it's mostly a settings and holistic understanding and interaction issue.

What do hip-hop-heads working and live-recording beats in a more granular fashion recommend?
    Is the 1-99% next to BPM in song view... some sort of global "swing" I suppose, or what is that value/function exactly?
Working...
X